Are Martyn and Lehmann still among the 7 best batsmen in the Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the ICC Test rankings:

Ponting
Hayden
Gilchrist
Langer
Martyn (17th)
Clarke
Lehmann (42nd)
Hussey
Katich
Warne

So yeah, I guess they both are in the top 7. Martyn should not have been dropped after the Ashes, and although I'm a Vic, I wouldn't mind if Marto gets his #4 spot back, and Clarke will get #6 back before too long.

Ricketts said:
The current 7 in the Test Team are ahead of him, so thread over already.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Gilchrist
Symonds

Add to that the following five:

Clarke
Martyn
Katich
Jaques
Cosgrove

Which would leave Lehmann in 13th spot at best.
Age not taken into consideration Lehmann at the moment is still better than most of them names.

eddiesmith said:
Australias 5 best batsman capable of playing Test cricket right now are the top 5 in the Aussie test team
I'm still not completely convinced about Hodge.

I realise his 203* in Perth will buy him plenty of time, but his efforts since then have been poor. He's come to the crease at some important times, and often looked out of his depth.

He's played 9 Test innings and has only contributed 2 half-centuries. One of them was outstanding, but I'd like to see a more consistent output before I jump on the bandwagon.

Ricketts said:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Gilchrist
Symonds

Clarke
Martyn
Katich
Jaques
Cosgrove

Hilarious.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Boof looks set to make another good score against Tasmania.

He's having a great season. He'd go alright at #6 if the Australian selectors ditch the all-rounder policy.

Boof pretty much is an allrounder anyways.....

I would call him a batting allrounder, as he is strong with the bat but he still can get a few wickets here and there

Ricketts said:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Gilchrist
Symonds

Clarke
Martyn
Katich
Jaques
Cosgrove

Post like this don't do much for your credibility.

Kane McGoodwin said:
This is what people are talking about when they complain about this board's "falling standards".

You're a moderator. Why don't you do something about it?

I was just thinking over the weekend how Hussey and Hodge's successes have pretty much taken Lehmann right out of the picture. I am ataggered to see him dominating the poll - I assume many votes are pretty old though.

Marto would be much closer - but I don;t think that is very close.

Closed book for the two of them, unless there is a real crumbling middle order any time soon.

funkyfreo said:
I was just thinking over the weekend how Hussey and Hodge's successes have pretty much taken Lehmann right out of the picture. I am ataggered to see him dominating the poll - I assume many votes are pretty old though.
Hodge has made 2 half-centuries in 9 Test innings.

Admittedly one was outstanding, but he's been nowhere near consistent enough to be the world-class #4 we need.

He needs some big scores in South Africa to prove he's the man to hold that spot through to the Ashes.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
This is what people are talking about when they complain about this board's "falling standards".

You're a moderator. Why don't you do something about it?
I believe that I have been doing something about it ... but it is impossible to delete every stupid post or keep everyone happy.

Kane McGoodwin said:

Actually I think he has it spot on - at least interms of the way the selectors would be looking at him.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Hodge has made 2 half-centuries in 9 Test innings.

Admittedly one was outstanding, but he's been nowhere near consistent enough to be the world-class #4 we need.

He needs some big scores in South Africa to prove he's the man to hold that spot through to the Ashes.

Well Hussey cannot stay so low in the order for ever. Sure it is nice to have a great bat witht he tail, but he deserves the respect of being higher in the order.

Anyway I still think he has done enough to take Boof out of the equation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

king_Brown said:
Boof pretty much is an allrounder anyways.....

I would call him a batting allrounder, as he is strong with the bat but he still can get a few wickets here and there
If you're going to refer to him as an all-rounder, it sure as hell wouldn't be as a "bowling all-rounder"...

Ricketts said:
It's purely an opinion thing.

Lehmann at his age i'd rate behind those other 12.

But you're from South Australia so of course your opinion is going to be different on Lehmann.

Meh.
This thread has nothing to do with likelihood of Test selection. We all know Lehmann is on the shelf. It a question of ability, not availability.

How does the fact that Symonds is younger than Lehmann automatically make him a better batsman?

Ricketts said:
It doesn't, but he is. Look at his awesome ODI record, and he's only just starting out in Tests.
That's a nothing argument.

Lehmann has as awesome FC record and has averaged 57.13 over 253 matches. Enough said.

Lehmann is dominating the Pura Cup this season with a consistency that Symonds could never match.

Lehmann averaged 44.95 in Tests, and 38.96 in ODIs.

Point to one aspect of that record where Symonds has an edge.

Ricketts said:
It's purely an opinion thing.

Lehmann at his age i'd rate behind those other 12.

But you're from South Australia so of course your opinion is going to be different on Lehmann.

Meh.
Sure it's opinion, but you're basically avoiding all the facts like Lehmann's stellar record. He has never been out of form & today is just another indicator of that. ie. Age is irrelevant to the question asked by this thread. Quite frankly if you seriously think Boof is outside the top dozen batsman, the vast majority of posters on this board would question how much you know about Cricket ... not just the SA supporters!

Kane McGoodwin said:
Sure it's opinion, but you're basically avoiding all the facts like Lehmann's stellar record. He has never been out of form & today is just another indicator of that. ie. Age is irrelevant to the question asked by this thread. Quite frankly if you seriously think Boof is outside the top dozen batsman, the vast majority of posters on this board would question how much you know about Cricket ... not just the SA supporters!
He was ranking the batsman the way the selectors would see things and I agree with him but that isn't what the thread is about.

MO Lehmann is in the top 7 batsman in Australia, however remember how poorly he was performing late in his test career, Shoaib had him in trouble as did many of the faster bowlers, he was walking across his stumps far too much and their really was a good case for him being dropped.

However I do think he has proven in the state competition he has shown he still has it in him to be ranked as one of the top batsman in Australia but the fact of the matter is, all this talk of the top 7 batsman in Australia is pointless because for the selectors age is a major issue and I would think that for Lehmann definately the national door is closed and for Marto its only slighty ajar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Martyn and Lehmann still among the 7 best batsmen in the Australia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back