Are St Kilda really that good?

Remove this Banner Ad

we can't judge teams too quickly on the back of one game. people wrote collingwood off when geelong beat them, declared st kilda as a challenger when they beat us in a close one, and now it seems are prepared to write st kilda off on the back of a poor game as well.

I think collingwood is probably at their peak form at the moment and are looking good. Geelong are getting more and more key players back every week and will time their run as they did last year. st kilda have an ugly brand of football, but it usually holds up in big games and wins much more often than it doesn't. they're the three teams to beat.

Overrated and can't play the MCG. Not going to win anything in September kicking 50 points a game Ross.

How long til the knives come out for him? It didn't take long for them to give Thomas the boot after two years of what was considered to be underperformance.

This post gives no credit to your own team.

Let me tell you something, St Kilda didn't lose today because they played badly. They lost today because Collingwood played very bloody well, put a LOT of pressure on St Kilda and made them make a lot of mistakes. St Kilda, like Geelong last night played like a deer in headlights.

We won at the MCG against the best team in the league about five weeks ago so your first sentence is a myth. We kicked fifty points in the game today because your defence was OUTSTANDING. You won the game not because your forwards played well or your mids got the ball there or you got all that space - you won today because of your backline. Absolutely smashed us. Put too much pressure on us and caused us to kick 16 behinds, kind of like what we did to you in round 3, remember?

It is not the fault of the coach that we kicked fifty points today because we clearly were aiming for 16.6.102 not 6.16.52.

And ther knives are not going to come out for him because we lose a glorified home and away match to your mob, let me tell you that.

Geez Louise.

*shakes head in disbelief*

I am curious: is there a team this season who has played great, week in, week out? Because if there is, I missed them. The fact is every team goes through bumps and lulls on the road, and sometimes great teams can go through these bumps and lulls and still win them. Sometimes however they don't. Saints and the Cats are going through such a time, and Collingwood went through it a month or so ago.

Its better to get all the crap out of the way at this point in the season, because its obviously something you don't want come the Finals. There is still plenty of weeks to go for anyone to get over their bad form, and for others to slip into it.

If Ross Lyon does not deliver a flag in 2010 or 2011 the St. Kilda Football Club will be in some serious trouble on field.

The reasons:
1) Name me a St. Kilda player under the age of 23 who stands out. The type of player you would say that club can build itself around for the next 5-6 years? They're are none that spring to mind. The Saints have little, if any, quality youth pushing for selection and to act as depth in the event of injuries. And with both the Gold Coast and West Sydney coming into the league St. Kilda will get no even decent draft picks to amend this flaw. Armitage and McEvoy are their highest draft picks in recent years and neither has shown anything to suggest they can play and play well at this level.

2) Look at the Saints 22 from today's match: Pattison, Dawson, Jones, Dempster, Schneider, Peake, Gram, Gwilt etc. All mature age recruits some of whom are recylcled from other weaker clubs. The Saints ability to strictly adhere to their effective defensive gameplan ensures that, most of the time, these types of players are not exposed, but as the tale told today and notably in the final quarter of last season's Grand Final, when enough pressure is applied and the gameplan begins to break down, these players are exploited as the average individuals they are. If St. Kilda cannot win a premiership while the likes of Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt, Fisher and Goddard are in the prime of their careers and able to shoulder the 'creative' load of the Saints play then their premiership window will be very small because the next generation simply is not there to keep the ship afloat.

3) Ross Lyon has set out to do at the Saints exactly what he did at Sydney as an assistant to Paul Roos. His on- field model, like Roos, was to implement a rugged, high pressure, high intensity full- field zone defensive scheme, based around fitness, tackling and discipline. Like Roos also, Lyon knew he had a solid list to work with, that could be a September threat in the near future and in order to enact his style of play effectively he needed strong bodied mature players to plug in weak spots, rather than raw bodied 18 year olds. It delivered Sydney a flag, but after two years at the top the stooped to 7th a year later and have steadily declined since all because the Roos/Lyon method of coaching is just so telling on a footballer's body in the long run. Looking at the Saints list, the exact same will happen to them. Difference will be, the Swans had time to gain some draft picks and blood quality young players, St. Kilda with the addition of a 17th and 18th club wont be so fortunate any time soon.

4) Saints fans are living in the now and all is well, but I tell you what, if Lyon doesn't take advantage of this premiership window the Saints are going to be in strife in a couple years time.

Gee they could do with a tough hard inside bloke who can kick a goal....wonder what they would want for L.Ball??

and a bloke who can kick a goal?

Saints have little to no depth, smashed at the hard inside stuff.

Gee they could do with a tough hard inside bloke who can kick a goal....wonder what they would want for L.Ball??

We've already got one he's called Nick Dal Santo.

You guys got lucky with him out, gonna be a whole different story next time.

If Ross Lyon does not deliver a flag in 2010 or 2011 the St. Kilda Football Club will be in some serious trouble on field.

The reasons:
1) Name me a St. Kilda player under the age of 23 who stands out. The type of player you would say that club can build itself around for the next 5-6 years? They're are none that spring to mind. The Saints have little, if any, quality youth pushing for selection and to act as depth in the event of injuries. And with both the Gold Coast and West Sydney coming into the league St. Kilda will get no even decent draft picks to amend this flaw. Armitage and McEvoy are their highest draft picks in recent years and neither has shown anything to suggest they can play and play well at this level.

Steven, Stanley, McEvoy, Geary, Heyne....all played this year. Given you mentioned under 23, should I also include the names of our kids pushing for selection who would probably get a chance if we weren't trying to contend for a premiership this year?

2) Look at the Saints 22 from today's match: Pattison, Dawson, Jones, Dempster, Schneider, Peake, Gram, Gwilt etc. All mature age recruits some of whom are recylcled from other weaker clubs. The Saints ability to strictly adhere to their effective defensive gameplan ensures that, most of the time, these types of players are not exposed, but as the tale told today and notably in the final quarter of last season's Grand Final, when enough pressure is applied and the gameplan begins to break down, these players are exploited as the average individuals they are. If St. Kilda cannot win a premiership while the likes of Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt, Fisher and Goddard are in the prime of their careers and able to shoulder the 'creative' load of the Saints play then their premiership window will be very small because the next generation simply is not there to keep the ship afloat.

The likelyhood is that Dempster, Pattison and perhaps even Peake (not sure yet) wouldn't be playing if the likes of Dal, Baker and Raph were available for selection.

3) Ross Lyon has set out to do at the Saints exactly what he did at Sydney as an assistant to Paul Roos. His on- field model, like Roos, was to implement a rugged, high pressure, high intensity full- field zone defensive scheme, based around fitness, tackling and discipline. Like Roos also, Lyon knew he had a solid list to work with, that could be a September threat in the near future and in order to enact his style of play effectively he needed strong bodied mature players to plug in weak spots, rather than raw bodied 18 year olds. It delivered Sydney a flag, but after two years at the top the stooped to 7th a year later and have steadily declined since all because the Roos/Lyon method of coaching is just so telling on a footballer's body in the long run. Looking at the Saints list, the exact same will happen to them. Difference will be, the Swans had time to gain some draft picks and blood quality young players, St. Kilda with the addition of a 17th and 18th club wont be so fortunate any time soon.

4) Saints fans are living in the now and all is well, but I tell you what, if Lyon doesn't take advantage of this premiership window the Saints are going to be in strife in a couple years time.

How does that make him different to most of the other coaches on the circuit, Bomber Thomspon and perhaps Clarkson excluded?

Ah you've gotta love the 90% of the Collingwood supporting faction that are dead set nuffies and get on here and start threads such as this and leave the other 10% to pick up the pieces with common sense and sound footy knowledge.

Good win today by Collingwood but in the overall scheme of things it means nothing, just as St Kilda's Round 3 win meant nothing. Do it in September when it counts and then it is something to crow about.

Bring on the finals!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda were always in trouble from the moment the teams were announced. The absence of Anthony, Cloke and Maxwell was simply too much for the Saints to overcome.

Coming from a Carlton supporter, that's great. Anthony, Cloke and Maxwell would beat your shit team on their own.

Ah you've gotta love the 90% of the Collingwood supporting faction that are dead set nuffies and get on here and start threads such as this and leave the other 10% to pick up the pieces with common sense and sound footy knowledge.

Good win today by Collingwood but in the overall scheme of things it means nothing, just as St Kilda's Round 3 win meant nothing. Do it in September when it counts and then it is something to crow about.

Bring on the finals!
well what did you expect

we were so often told we were unable to beat saints or cats. (often by saints or cats fans)

so often reminded of our 4.17 effort in round 3.. so naturally we're going to find your 6.16 effort a little bit humorous..

it wasn't just a good win.. any win would have been a good win.. but what made it all the more sweeter was the fact it was a downright flogging.

its a shame though.. had we restricted you by another 2 points we would have actually doubled your score :)

No clearly there no good. Riewoldt has been dominating for a months and was shown up today, Dal Santo was well held and clealy everything fell there way and couldnt get over the line. They also had the advantage of a less days break coming back from the rock hard GABBA why didnt they come out running:eek::eek: Why after a week back after 6 games out cant Gram dominate? As for the coach this training loading crap six weeks out is all a myth.

I thought it was us Pies supporters who were supposed to make ridiculous excuses.

St kilda are a quality side but the main problem is that they have no real plan B. I think it's a good structure they have but when it isn't working it's not flexible enough to change which I think their main problem is

The question was asked whether Collingwood was good enough when St Kilda beat us. We must now pose whether St Kilda are really that good. 6 goals on a perfect day, another failure in front of a big crowd and Milne failing again when it counts. Are St Kilda really that good?

St. Kilda rarely score big scores, especially in recent games. Their gameplan is structured around shutting down opposition offense completely. Today, Collingwood broke it down completely and when I saw that Collingwood had 50 points on the board and St. Kilda had about 11, I knew that St. Kilda would not be able to find a way back because they just don't have the scoring power to do so, especially with Roo in such poor form.

No excuses, I just want to play good footy in September, that's all...

Been there done that with the excitement of being top of the ladder in July, I can appreciate why Pies fans would be enjoying it, you'll just have to forgive me for having a different and somewhat impatient outlook this year.

Timing is everything coming into finals, just have to trust the powers that be are guiding this team home with this in mind.

Well done on your win

Remove this Banner Ad

Are St Kilda really that good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back