Are the Giants out of premiership discussion now the double chance is gone? ( 2.0 updated page 17 )

Remove this Banner Ad

Its terrible in the sense that the AFL will not allow these teams to fail and will find a way to ensure if not flags then competitiveness.

So yeah its terrible for other clubs as what the AFL gives with one hand to GC and GWS will be taken from other clubs with the other hand.

And that isn't groundbreaking, its already happened multiple times on multiple fronts.
It is for some clubs, not the Bulldogs or the Demons whi need special AFL assistance to survive though, while we grow the game in foreign territory.

Pfft
It's what they were offerred. Reduces the risk of a Boyd type scenario. Long contacts are rare with us. Some but rare

Just curious, how come Kelly only got offered two years, whilst Greene was offered 6 years and Patton and Davis signed three year extensions?

Its terrible in the sense that the AFL will not allow these teams to fail and will find a way to ensure if not flags then competitiveness.

So yeah its terrible for other clubs as what the AFL gives with one hand to GC and GWS will be taken from other clubs with the other hand.

And that isn't groundbreaking, its already happened multiple times on multiple fronts.

What would be the point in bringing these clubs in and letting them flounder like the Brisbane Bears did, or the Sydney Swans did in the early '90s? Does nothing for anyone, and makes the league even more compromised.

Just curious, how come Kelly only got offered two years, whilst Greene was offered 6 years and Patton and Davis signed three year extensions?

Cap and list flexibility, and perhaps a mutual agreement that he hasn't maxed out on his potential, and therefore might be worthy of a bigger long-term deal for what should be the prime years of his career (2020-2024, ages 25-29).

Provided he produces and improves further when fit in the rest of 2018 and 2019, he increases his value and maximises his earnings by signing the big long-term deal at the end of 2019, rather than doing a 5/6/7 year deal from 2018-2022 or 2023-2024.

Nonsense. Our record in the last two years is eerily similar to yours. At worst you join us so ut cant ne the biggest. Do you think it,'s jointly the worst ever?
The amount of picks you guys were given, I think it will be a massive choke.

Cap and list flexibility, and perhaps a mutual agreement that he hasn't maxed out on his potential, and therefore might be worthy of a bigger long-term deal for what should be the prime years of his career (2020-2024, ages 25-29).

Provided he produces and improves further when fit in the rest of 2018 and 2019, he increases his value and maximises his earnings by signing the big long-term deal at the end of 2019, rather than doing a 5/6/7 year deal from 2018-2022 or 2023-2024.

I can understand why Kelly would only sign for two years, but I find the suggestion that the Giants didn't try and sign him up for longer hard to believe. You don't think they tried to tie him down for longer?

I can understand why Kelly would only sign for two years, but I find the suggestion that the Giants didn't try and sign him up for longer hard to believe. You don't think they tried to tie him down for longer?

Well the Giants might have, and Kelly and his management might not have agreed to it. Rather than playing hardball and saying "it's long-term or nothing" and potentially losing him for nothing, they might have thought signing him for two years, with the potential for him to re-sign again after that, the better option.

Is it terrible news though? Did anyone other than the AFL want GWS in the competition?? I don't want GWS to succeed. I'm happy to see them struggle tbh..
The fans lot of struggling Melbourne clubs seem to share this view. But for anyone who actually wants to see the AFL expand beyond a glorified VFL, we're happy to see GWS establish a foothold.

GWS have more A graders missing than most clubs have total A graders.

The pressure should be on their medicos more than anyone else at the club.

Give North one qtr of GWS' injuries and GWS a full list and they beat North by 80 points.

Not sure GWS has the culture or coach to win a flag but fully fit they are as talented as anyone.

But realistically they arent fit, they have a dopey coach and if they don't win this year or next, guys like Kelly and Coniglio may leave and kill the AFL dream.

Terrible news...

When was the last time they had close to a fully fit squad playing?

They always seem to have a long injury list.

Mmm
Is there any point.

Ok so mids like Shiel and Conligio are on 2 year contracts, he's far from alone.

Let's suppose that a club is aiming to pay $800k for it's best players, and has many high value players to retain. A guy like Toby is offerred $800k and says ok but I want a long term deal. Club considers and consults bean counters looking after cap projections for future years, says ok. He's a rare and very likely irreplaceable talent. The payments are our expectations anyway.

Josh was about to sign in Feb for said $800k but then received a godfatheriffer from North. Club wants to keep him because he's also a rare talent and decides to scrape together the cash. Little doubt that Heaters extn and Reid's move to the rookie list shows some serious scraping.

In this case when your paying overs locking in a long term deal is risky, said Boyd type scenario. Club offers 2 years with the intention of reassessing his value then. We've done similar with Devon Smith and a reduced offer at the reassessment led to him leaving. That's ok because the cash is needed elsewhere.

If you start from an assumption that keeping Kelly until he retires is the only consideration then you will struggle. Worst case scenario is actually paying Kelly a lot more money than he's worth over long time. For now he is worth extra so two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is for some clubs, not the Bulldogs or the Demons whi need special AFL assistance to survive though,

What do you define as "special assistance"?

for the last few years the Bulldogs have been running at a profit.

The Western Bulldogs Football Club in 2016 announced an operating profit of $3,641,018 for the year ended 31 October 2016. It is the third consecutive year of profit for the Club.

In 2017 another year of profits saw the Bulldogs (Bulldogs eradicate debt with third straight significant profit) wipe out its previous debts.

What do you define as "special assistance"?

for the last few years the Bulldogs have been running at a profit.

The Western Bulldogs Football Club in 2016 announced an operating profit of $3,641,018 for the year ended 31 October 2016. It is the third consecutive year of profit for the Club.

In 2017 another year of profits saw the Bulldogs (Bulldogs eradicate debt with third straight significant profit) wipe out its previous debts.
Bulldogs are given a larger distribution and priority picks were they not? 8ur dustrution is about bigger at 24m but the Bulldogs at 20m is not far behind on the figures I've seen

Last priority pick we were given as far as I’m aware was in 2004.
That wasn't that long ago.
Everyone focusses on the concessions we were given. The size of the task in task in building a new club from scratch is always ignored.
We were given the help we were because of fear that building a new club in foreign territory was going to be very hard.
Supporting existing clubs inMelbourne is really an operating deficit, not a positive thing in as much as the AFL is a business.

That wasn't that long ago.
Everyone focusses on the concessions we were given. The size of the task in task in building a new club from scratch is always ignored.
We were given the help we were because of fear that building a new club in foreign territory was going to be very hard.
Supporting existing clubs inMelbourne is really an operating deficit, not a positive thing in as much as the AFL is a business.
Yeah but it was under the old system where anyone who recorded under 5.5 wins got one. Collingwood, Hawthorn and West Coast all got them too and those players played in flags.

For the record I don’t have a problem with the picks GWS was given.

Yeah but it was under the old system where anyone who recorded under 5.5 wins got one. Collingwood, Hawthorn and West Coast all got them too and those players played in flags.

For the record I don’t have a problem with the picks GWS was given.
I stand corrected on that point.

Not sure exactly what's gone wrong, but just to put it in perspective: after 9 rounds, GWS has scored fewer points (709) than the Brisbane Lions (715).

Bulldogs are given a larger distribution and priority picks

As Anja stated, our last priority pick was in 2004 when we had won the 03 spoon. We weren’t treated any differently when Ward signed with GWS as Scully had (with Melbourne getting 2 compo picks vs our 1). I rate Ward as GWS’ best recruit from the start by standards but it’s water under the bridge now anyway. Still have a soft spot for Wardy and rate him as a quality A+ grade mid

Nonsense. Did I miss something? Were Geelong setting a new club since 2011, and all that entails?
I'm not talking about Geelong or anyone but GWS. Your team was given more than any club in the history of the game. Endless top round picks not to mention top picks from finishing low on the ladder which was always going to happen. More $$ and bigger playing list for a long time. Its been a never ending cycle. They got the top young talent, some left and in return you get more top players and picks! Can you not see that. You may be a tad bias I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Giants out of premiership discussion now the double chance is gone? ( 2.0 updated page 17 )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back