Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not quite sure where this idea that Geelong kept up such a high intensity is coming from. Geelong lost the clearance count, lost the tackle count and broke even in 1%. This doesn't sound like a game where one club played with a huge intensity level all night and the other didn't.

Geelong had a pretty low intensity level after half time (some player excepted). They really just took uncontested marks and moved the ball through the corridor much like they usually do when the game is over in a flogging.

No, both have improved hugely since last year. Geelong could be considered a different team altogether. How Thompson went after carelessly overusing a used-to-be-successful gameplan in the finals, will certainly be different to how Chris Scott handles it.

That blink-182 "Enema of the State" avatar has brought you your forgiveness on a platter. Big Blink fan here ;)

Ok brothers now :thumbsu:

The Pies have been the media darlings all season and been interminably characterised as an unstoppable force with the 2011 premiership essentially a fait accompli.

On the back of this 100 odd point schellacking from the Cats, questions will inevitably be raised on whether they're the certainties that some media pundits have espoused.

Unfortunate late season injuries to key players and continued off field issues appear be taking their toll. The coaching succession plan devised by Eddie now seems an ill-conceived idea at best. Recent press conferences and media snipits indicate Mick Malthouse is an agitated man that is clearly irked by his upcoming fate.

Time will ultimately tell if Eddie's succession plan "master stroke" was a "bad joke" that ultimately ended in a "major choke".

Are you serious? Oh Eddie's succession plan has been terrible for Collingwood. That must be why are we struggling at the moment.

FFS mate get a clue. We've won last years flag and this year has been our most successful season (to date) for 50 years.

I think we're going OK :thumbsu:

Full credit to Geelong, they deserved the 4 points. am i worried? a little. Some pies fans are saying we took the foot off the pedal (which i think we did) but to be beaten by 96 points is a concern (considering its on the eve of the finals to one of our main rivals). I have faith that we can turn it around for an assualt at another flag but last night proved that it is anyones game and that we will need to play at our best to roll the cats/hawks. I think we (pies) should forget about the prelim last year because it is totally irrelevant after last night.

They are in no more trouble than Geelong was after losing to Swans, all forgotten after a regulation big win next week. Not that WCE will be a pushover, but Pies' only problem is fitting in all their talent.

Some Pies supporters on BF have actually told me "You get injuries when you don't go in 100%". Does that mean, Mick went in and risked injuries right before finals on purpose?

Yes. When you're playing half heartedly, you go into contests clumsily. This can lead to injuries because a) your body isn't squared up allowing for awkward twists landings and b) you make yourself more vulnerable to being on the receiving end of a big hit.

Most people who have played a competitive sport seriously would tell you the same.

Perfect example is Tarrant doing his ankle and Cloke doing his knee.

Yes. When you're playing half heartedly, you go into contests clumsily. This can lead to injuries because a) your body isn't squared up allowing for awkward twists landings and b) you make yourself more vulnerable to being on the receiving end of a big hit.

Most people who have played a competitive sport seriously would tell you the same.

Perfect example is Tarrant doing his ankle and Cloke doing his knee.

not worried at all geelong will never play like that again i am expecting a collingwood/hawthorn grand final.

i love the way that west coast are suddenly right amongst it to knock over the pies next week. must have been a pretty awesome effort to overhaul a 5 goal deficit v the mighty brisbane lions sans brown merrett patfull and co last week. obviously they weren't trying either earlier ni the year when they were absolutely demolished by coll at the venue where next week's final will be played

take from last night what you will. west coast will not get within 12 goals of collingwood next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was not a result that should surprise anyone, Cats two games back from the bye and fresh and getting back in gear, Collingwood playing their 11th game and need a break and tiring.
It surprised me. 4 OR 5 goals maybe . But 96 points. What happened was Geelong came out in the second quarter and abliterated the magpies.

The Pies went into protection mode . Whats in the minds of those guys now.
It does not matter about the "maybe" reasons for Friday night they weren,t
beaten they were flogged.

The bad thing for them now is, that everyone knows the pies aren,t the big
bogey man team , They might still have the capabilities but the other top teams
have no doubt that they can beat them, thats what Friday did to the Pies.

And make no mistake there is a conflict of some kind going on behind the scenes
at that club. And also as I said earlier injuries haven,t really belted the Pies this season , YET!!!!

The OP raises a salient point regarding the instability of the top man leading the Pies into the finals. Perhaps you have a short memory there Happy. Remember an old Cats man called Thompson in 2010?

Whilst I do agree Collingwood are certainly no shoe-in for the flag and that there are certain weaknesses within this Magpies side that were exposed last night, I myself definitely wouldn't run the risk of ending up with egg all over my face if I were you. As I've mentioned, things in footy can change dramatically within the space of a week (Bigfooty is conclusive proof of this), and in addition to this Collingwood are just one of those sides capable of flicking a switch in a very short space of time.
However, should a similar Collingwood aberration occur next week against the Eagles (which is unlikely), then I would be on the same page as you. Until this happens (which it may not), then I must disagree with you, even with my dislike of Collingwood and the fact I am a fellow Geelong supporter.

Are the Pies in trouble ? seriously, what a stupid thread. They are still the best team in the competition.

i love the way that west coast are suddenly right amongst it to knock over the pies next week. must have been a pretty awesome effort to overhaul a 5 goal deficit v the mighty brisbane lions sans brown merrett patfull and co last week. obviously they weren't trying either earlier ni the year when they were absolutely demolished by coll at the venue where next week's final will be played

take from last night what you will. west coast will not get within 12 goals of collingwood next week

You better hope your coach and players aren't thinking like you, or WCE will give your lot a bath.

Collingwood are a great side, but they will need to be at 100% to be sure of a win. Malthouse would say exactly the same thing.

Your attitude amounts to arrogant stupidity.

at that club. And also as I said earlier injuries haven,t really belted the Pies this season , YET!!!!

Collingwood have had a terrible run from injuries, it's just we accept them, and keep on winning. N.Brown, Dick, Dawes, Toovey, Wellingham, Jolly, Didak to name a few. Not even you could have asked for more than that, and there's no doubt your hoping against hope for injuries...

Problem for people of your ilk (which includes channel tens coverage of the news) is this, barring N.Brown and Dick, we will have a full healthy team to choose from next week, of course Thomas has another week to serve, but than there's a guy called Heath Shaw to come back in who is raring to go next week.

And best of all, and this was disgraceful from channel 10, was there coverage of the players, asking them, how there niggles were, and they do it probably half because they themselves dislike the Pies, and also half because people like you have been shitting your pants all season at the Pies going back to back, and you want injuries to derail us so it's just what people want to here.

However, one of the best slogans in sport and that Collingwood has, is side by side. It's awesome. And it's probably helped inspire Collingwood to big wins for years now. When our backs are to the wall the boys almost always fire up. So, although the media has to have front page of the sport section in the Sun claiming the pies to be wobbling, and all the new reporters asking Collingwood players about their niggles, all for the benefit of everyone who is jealous of Collingwood, people like you, the problem with all that is it fires Collingwood up, and than we revert back to one of if not the greatest slogans in sport, side by side, and the media creates the monster that is Collingwood.

It will be all over the media, people like you don't want to see Collingwood go back to back, and you'll do anything you can to delude yourself to think that this won't happen even though it still remains a real and scary chance. The media will stick the knife into Collingwood in spite of what has been a magnificent season to date, doubt you've bothered to enter into discussions about Collingwood for the last 15 weeks. ;) And this will be a massive shot in the arm for Collingwood. This was the loss we had to have.

Collingwood will be massively fired up next week. Poor West Coast to think what the media and people like you who needs to be fed by it are doing to help create what Collingwood will be next week.

Thing is, with all these cats supporters up and kicking that pies are done - how much pressure are they on now to beat the pies should they play in finals ? Seriously, in back of there minds pies are shit. Yet they lost in the most recent finals match. If this was collingwood with 2 wins on trot v cats all the talk would be surely there is no way they can beat the cats 3 times in a row?

Since when will the Geelong supporters be playing against the Pies in the finals? I think we'll leave that to the players. ;):p

Love how all the Pies fans still hang their hats on last year's prelim too. Newsflash fellas: we have a new coach, new gameplan, better list management resulting in fitter players at this stage of the season, no conjecture hanging over our heads about the future of our best player, and a quarter of our side who played last night weren't playing in the prelim. In fact, three of those players (Menzel, Duncan and Christensen) outscored your mob by themselves last night. But keep living in the past if it makes you sleep easier at night. :thumbsu:

Injury concerns the main trouble.

The game last night sucked but I'm willing to back a team that has won 20 games out of 22.

Coming up against Geelong again though may be tough.

A week seems to be an eternity in the brain of an average footy supporter. A thread stating Geelong were in trouble after our loss to the Swans last week and now this. The only thing on offer last night was bragging rights and a mental edge over the other come finals. Last nights Collingwood outfit will not be the one we see for the next couple of weeks, just watch them turn around and smash the Eagles next Saturday. Nothing to worry about yet at all for Pies supporters, the sky is hardly falling in, however if they do put in another performance like that next week (they won't) then some questions may be asked. Some footy fans like the OP just seem to have the memory of a goldfish.

Thread needed to end here

Some would say that limping into the finals on the back of a 100 point flogging with arguably your best player out suspended, a crippled captain and an undermined, outgoing coach is cause for concern.

Others would not. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back