Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe the question was even asked.
Even after a loss like last nights the last thing anyone should be thinking is that Collingwood are in any kind of trouble.
They will be up and about in the finals and should make the GF if not win it.
All teams have crap days, even the very good ones.

I think thread sums up the average BF supporter.

As a few have pointed out, the Cats were beaten by Swans previous week and BF suddenly declares "Cats are history".

Now we have a repeat, the our season is all done/finished.

You don't finished on top with 20-2 record by sheer luck.

The first lost to Geelong by 3 pts was totally genuine, but if any ones seriously thinks Collingwood was going 100% you have not watched much footy.

Yes Geelong played very well and served up some great football, but they did so against Melbourne as well.

You only to watch MM after match presser, to gain an insight into the thinking at Collingwood, for once they were down by 4 goals they had nothing to gain from going flat out.

I've seen MM more angry when we have won by 10 goals....

Sure the margin was a lot more than many of us Collingwood fans would have liked, but really what does it give Geelong....nothing but bragging rights amongst the supporters.

Even Chris Scott can see it meant nothing.

"And I can honestly say (is) I would have said that irrespective of the result tonight," Scott said.

"I didn't think we were too bad last week against Sydney, but they were really up for it and we weren't quite up for it and that was probably the case tonight. And in today's footy that means a lot.

"The two games followed a similar pattern, especially early in the game, which is good for our confidence.

"But at the end of the day that doesn't mean much either.

"We've still got to go out and put that sort of performance together when it really counts."

Everyone needs to take a bex and have lie down.

If Geelong loses to Hawks what are the Cats fans going to say then.

The real stuff starts this friday night, lets see what happens then.

Collingwood were extremely poor last night. We happened to come up against a great team, playing great football and were subsequently smashed.

Smashings will occasionally happen in football to great teams, and the mark of a great team is how they respond to these defeats. We get at least two more games to respond.

I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing good out of last nights result for Collingwood. We have a lot of work to do, but I'm sure they will endeavour to turn the result around somehow. I just hope its enough.

Finally a Collingwood supporter who actually understands the game.
To say a team completely wasn't trying means you know NOTHING about the game. Yes it was a dead rubber but do you actually think that Collingwood feel happy about getting hammered by a team that is in the running for the flag? Why would they WANT to give Geelong confidence? WHY?

To say a team completely wasn't trying means you know NOTHING about the game. Yes it was a dead rubber but do you actually think that Collingwood feel happy about getting hammered by a team that is in the running for the flag? Why would they WANT to give Geelong confidence? WHY?

Pies players just KNOW they will smash Geelong if they they play a final against them. That's WHY ! Round 24 meant nothing.

What you call confidence I call a false sense of security.

The OP was clearly hoping on hope for injuries to key Collingwood players and it's my pleasure forward updates on Taz ankle from the Sun. It's good news, thought to be minor, that would make him a near certainty against WC.

Cloke, Goldack both fine too.

Sorry if the haters think this post was a troll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is, with all these cats supporters up and kicking that pies are done - how much pressure are they on now to beat the pies should they play in finals ? Seriously, in back of there minds pies are shit. Yet they lost in the most recent finals match. If this was collingwood with 2 wins on trot v cats all the talk would be surely there is no way they can beat the cats 3 times in a row?

The Cats lost one game in a row to the Swans a couple of weeks back, at Kardinia Park, first loss in a long time. Were they in trouble?

No, we weren't. But somehow, a 13 point loss right after the bye, against very determined and desparate opposition is better than a 96 point loss, against opposition without arguably their most important players.

No, we weren't. But somehow, a 13 point loss right after the bye, against very determined and desparate opposition is better than a 96 point loss, against opposition without arguably their most important players.

You won showing all your cards, tackling with intent. Yep, Cats were desperate, and it did look like the Pies even had some injuries.

But in the washup, all our guys will be right for the first week, I mean Taz, Cloke, Johnno and Goldsack.

Whereas the Cats will lose Selwood and possibly Chapman to suspensions.

Pies players just KNOW they will smash Geelong if they they play a final against them. That's WHY ! Round 24 meant nothing.

No, both have improved hugely since last year. Geelong could be considered a different team altogether. How Thompson went after carelessly overusing a used-to-be-successful gameplan in the finals, will certainly be different to how Chris Scott handles it.

That blink-182 "Enema of the State" avatar has brought you your forgiveness on a platter. Big Blink fan here ;)

The eagles will beat them next week. Mark my words.

Then they'll face Carlton or Essendon.. most likely Essendon. Could be straight sets for the Pies after a great year.

Would be fitting.

Thank Christ! I was getting worried that there would be a finals series where someone didn't say Collingwood would go out in straight sets. It's only been 23 years since they were last right.

You won showing all your cards, tackling with intent. Yep, Cats were desperate, and it did look like the Pies even had some injuries.
You were at least desperate. You won the tackle count and had a fair few injuries. Some Pies supporters on BF have actually told me "You get injuries when you don't go in 100%". Does that mean, Mick went in and risked injuries right before finals on purpose? What is it then? It's either you were desperate or Mick is plotting the fall of this club.

As for us being desperate? Nah. We did exactly the same things and used the same techniques and skills as Round 8, but to a slightly better extent. And this time the majority of our shots at goal went through. I would know, I'm the Cats fan in this argument. Wait for finals.

But in the washup, all our guys will be right for the first week, I mean Taz, Cloke, Johnno and Goldsack.
I read somewhere they were not so sure about Tarrant? And will Goldsack even be part of the 22? His performance yesterday was horrible. Cloke will have minimum impact come finals imo, as he did in the GFs last year. Will be held by good defenders.

On our side of the wall, we've got Lonergan (one of our best defenders for the year with an excellent record V Buddy, Kennedy etc), Corey (probably even better than Selwood), Mooney (who can play forward, but will probably not be needed :(), Stokes (who plays Chapman's role but faster) and Taylor (who was subbed off yesterday) all healthy and more than available for selection. Our boys will step up dramatically come finals.

Whereas the Cats will lose Selwood and possibly Chapman to suspensions.
Doubt it. Doesn't stop us from having excellent "backups" anyway, like Corey and Stokes.

Collingwood were terrible. I was laughin in the stands by the end of it. I am though, a little surprised with the level geelong maintained. They had a point to prove after losing last week and i would have expected them to have had preservation more in mind.

The game for mine, came at a really bad time for Collingwood. Geelong definitely have an edge now and some of the pies players are underdone. People are mentioning guys like fasolo and sinclair as not living up to the pressure. These guys were thrown to the slaughter. The teams performance meant players were being pressured by three geelong players with no option. Once again though, it surprised me that Geelong would go at that intensity the week before the finals. I would not be surprised if it is a Geelong Collingwood Prelim in a few weeks time. I would also predict that the Eagles wont get within 6 goals of collingwood next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are the Pies in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back