Aren't T20s exciting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gave it a go.....lasted 5 minutes before turning it off and watching a movie instead. Didn't miss much. I hate slog fests, at least ODI's have some tactics.
Are you not aware of how much planning and tactics go into T20's?
If you had bothered to watch last night, you would have heard Steve O'Keefe say just how much time they spend planning for T20's and how much longer they spend in meetings before a T20, than before say a Shield game, even though a Shield game goes for so much longer.

How can you say that a game that attracted the biggest crowd to a cricket match in Sydney for 80 years and that will get as many as 80,000 at the MCG on Friday night is "pointless"?
Surely having a bit of fun, attracting a younger crowd and getting big numbers to watch cricket (both live and on TV) has a point.
All those who don't like it do realise they don't actually have to watch it, don't they? Just because there's a cricket match on the TV doesn't mean you have to watch it.

One game? Are you taking the piss? What about the fact that the crowds to the international T20 matches at the MCG have also been huge in the past few years. Last night was hardly a once off! And it's about to be topped tomorrow night. These games are rip-roaring successes.
Apart from anything else, international T20's give more a chance to shine for their countries. If it was all the same old same old's playing all three forms, you could get a bit bored of it, or you could argue it's "pointless", but this gives those who are better suited to the shortest form a chance to do their thing.
It also gives those that are getting on a bit, but who still have good skills (but not the fitness or desire to play the long forms any more) the chance to keep on shining. Like Hogg, who did very well last night and will probably do even better on the spinning pitches in the T20 world cup.
Again, anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to watch it.
But plenty obviously do, so it's for them, not those who aren't interested.

I have to say that it was actually pretty exciting at the ground last night. I mean, the dancers are ridiculous and the announcing of the players as they run out was painful, but it was definitely fun. At least for the first innings.

And therein lies my problem with T20 matches. They can so easily become a total fizzer. By the time the game ended there was probably only half of the 60,000 yet. That could've been due to a majority of the crowd supporting India or the amount of kids/families in the crowd with the game ending after 11pm on a school night.

i think everyone knows okeefe. good player, just hope he doesnt turn into a CA/sponsor puppet

patto was clearly out of his depth. media stuff isnt important, hope he just concentrates on taking wickets.

He should, he is, at very worst, 100 times the player Steve Smith is yet he doesn't get anywhere near as much of a run.

Not to mention the 1.2 million dollar pay packet.

Shows what has been most important in Australian cricket for the past few years.

the ipl is virtually a t20 world cup. we don't need a t20 world cup. the game doesn't need t20 internationals. it's called over kill. i never said i didn't like it, we just don't need it
Fair enough. CA beg to differ, though, with reports today saying they're considering adding more T20i's in the coming years, at the expense of ODI's, where crowd figures have dropped across the board in the past 15 or so years.

Like most in this thread, i hardly watched last nights game.
I did switch it on for the last 5 overs of the Oz innings then happened to see the entrance for when we came out to field.
That was cringeworthy. I dont see any need for it in cricket.
I love the entrances in the NBA circa 90s (See Bulls entrance), but it has no place in cricket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. CA beg to differ, though, with reports today saying they're considering adding more T20i's in the coming years, at the expense of ODI's, where crowd figures have dropped across the board in the past 15 or so years.

You know why ODI's have become a thing of the past, because you have an over zealous security. They have killed off the crowd enjoyment so the crowd left. Pretty simple, ODI's are still a better contest that T20 as sides have a chance to recover. Much more of an ebb & flow to the game.

Oh that makes me sad.
I absolutely love ODI cricket, easily my favorite format, be that playing or watching***.
I do enjoy watching the T20 on TV (ill watch any form of cricket, id even watch international french cricket if it was an option) but i don't think id ever go, cos i can't get right into it and don't really care what way the result goes. Unlike tests and ODIs.
A strange view perhaps but to me the cricket is something that should consume your entire day, you should be too drunk / tired to even consider going out after a game whether on the sidelines or on the field. Its not something to just kill a few hours. Which is why ODIs are awesome cos they go all day AND you get a result that day. Also a much better option for me when playing.
Our 1sts also had a T20 match a few weeks back to bring in the new year against another side which we all went to watch on a thursday instead of training. It was fun to watch people have a slog, but it also made the people who did well in the T20 go out very cheaply come Saturdays game.

***I'm aware i don't play One Day Internationals, but one day games, you get me.

I watched it last night and thought that it was ridiculous, I really didn't care who won. But you have to realise we are not the market they are chasing. The very fact that you and I are on this board suggests that we are already welded on cricket fans. T20 is about getting new fans in, who like David Warner (NOT F*CKIN' DAVEY) may progress from T20 to Test Matches. It's all about growing the market.

I dont think the problem is with the T20
Its just the way that nine try to over hype the game
T20's on fox are good because you get what you deserve

Exactly, Channel 9 was embarassing and thier coverage of the 20/20's is abysmal. I think actually being at the ground would be much better.

- Were the commentators last night on the happy gas or something? DO WE HAVE TO YELL ALL THE TIME?
- The Moneyball thing was just stupid and added nothing
- David Warner: is he the only Aussie player? Listening to Channel 9 you would have thought so. Not his fault at all, but gee, they kept going on about him even when he was out.
- I didn't mind OKeefee, Pattinson was nervous, Brett Lee really didn't offer much to the coverage with the microphone.

I actually did try and watch this but as others said the way it's presented makes you want to just switch off and find out the score later.

20/20 just as a game i don't really mind, it's a bit of fun and easily digested but the dance squads, the talking to huffing and puffing bowlers during an over and the try hard over the top pandering commentary... it wears you down.

The over the top everything is wonderful all the time theme for 20/20 ends up making you think the opposite, if every over is special and all the teams great and exciting and every game is a masterpiece then everything just ends up feeling the same, you end up numb to the whole contest.

you have to realise we are not the market they are chasing. The very fact that you and I are on this board suggests that we are already welded on cricket fans. T20 is about getting new fans in, who like David Warner (NOT F*CKIN' DAVEY) may progress from T20 to Test Matches. It's all about growing the market.
This. To a very large degree. A recent investigation apparently found that among 11-14 year old's, or whatever, cricket was the 8th most popular sport (in Aus). In the past it probably would have been one or two. That would have set the alarm bells well and truly ringing at CA, unless they expect the older folk who already like cricket to live forever.
For cricket to have a long term future, they had to find a way to attract the younger ones and obviously they believe all the razzamatazz will do the trick. It certainly looks to be.
For those who don't like it, T20 cricket probably ought to be seen as a "necessary evil", and, as I said earlier, there's no gun to the head of anyone who doesn't want to watch it, I imagine.:thumbsu:

Memo to Michael Slater - you don't need to be heard by every spectator at the ground. Stop yelling!!!!

I watched it last night and thought that it was ridiculous, I really didn't care who won. But you have to realise we are not the market they are chasing. The very fact that you and I are on this board suggests that we are already welded on cricket fans. T20 is about getting new fans in, who like David Warner (NOT F*CKIN' DAVEY) may progress from T20 to Test Matches. It's all about growing the market.

This. I am a massive cricket fan and i cared so much as too seeing the result, i stumbled across it at around 11am this morning. I Could not have given a shit if "my" country had lost this game or not. I was more interested in Dave Whitmore than this smeg (No offence David). It's a cash cow no doubt and i am sure these views were aired in the 70's but to dare moot a popular coloqlialism, it's just not cricket.

i know im not the exact target audience if theyre wanting 11-14 year olds but im 17 and i have to say 20/20s are the worst form of the game, there is no ebb and flow there is rarely any suspense, most of the time a team cruises to victory the whole time. its not enjoyable. i watched the first 15 overs purely to see how wade would do and then i switched off, the whole time wade was batting all i heard the commentators talk about warner its just boring and whats with the fire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't T20s exciting?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back