Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 21 - 24 Power beat Freo. Blues make finals. Thank you Port!

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately I think the reality is if we do make it we're making a token finals appearance at best. Road to a premiership could legitimately end up with 3 out of state finals. 1 or 2 is doable but 3 in a row is asking the impossible.

Yeah, the odds say that we will have to play 3 away games in a row if we finish 8th, unless the Cats get an away win first up, then we'd play them in a prelim.

If we finish 7th and Geelong beats Sydney in the first final, it opens up a bit more for us.

Elimination vs Hawthorn at the MCG
Semi vs Port in Adelaide
Preliminary vs Geelong at the MCG
Grand Final vs GWS/Sydney at the MCG

Living up here I tend to follow them quite a bit more than other clubs.

View attachment 2090263

That's his second half of the year where they've won 10 of 12. That's 3 vote city.

We know he polls in games hr shouldn't as well so those low possession games wouldn't surprise me if he gets 1 or 2.

23 votes me thinks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is but last years Brownlow was a farce and thus I don't want him getting another this year. Neale 3 vs Bont 0 is a travesty and a blemish on the awards history.
... not really. Bont has a flag; Neale doesn't.

Ask them both at the end of their careers - assuming the Lions don't pinch one - which they'd have preferred.

Gosh it’s going to hurt like hell if the Hawks win a flag. How on earth do they rebuild so quickly, while we’ve taken years and still aren’t there?
They have the blueprint for success.

They won multiple flags in the 80s

Won 1 in 90s

Won 1 00s

Multiple in the 10s

Longest drought from 1991 to 2008.

It’s depressing that it’s taken us so long …29 years

Even this current rebuild is looking shaky although plenty of top end talent.

Won 1 in 90s

Won 1 00s

Multiple in the 10s

Hawthorn’s rebuild was looking horrendous at about round 4 this year. Shows it can change quickly, although there’s still no guarantee their list achieves anything

Won 1 in 90s

Won 1 00s

Multiple in the 10s

Hawks are in incredible form but doubt they get past semis this year.
Their list still has big gaps but sounds like they will be aggressive again in the off season.

Brisbane IMO.

For me, Hawthorn. With a full (ish) list to choose from. That loss against them doesn’t tell the full story when we lost 6 (?) in game injuries.

Brisbane in Brisbane where we trailed by 46 points in Round 0. Huge comeback, but a one off.

Hawthorn’s rebuild was looking horrendous at about round 4 this year. Shows it can change quickly, although there’s still no guarantee their list achieves anything
Its impressive the way they have turned things around.

Not easy to win flags as we all know but compared to most clubs they continue to do very well. Geelong another well run club.

We are nearly there. I believe we are short of a good head of footy department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks are in incredible form but doubt they get past semis this year.
Their list still has big gaps but sounds like they will be aggressive again in the off season.
Yeah you never know but would be miraculous if they went all the way this year.

They are using what they've got to great effect so far.

I'm sure other teams will work them out soon enough and stifle their current good form.

Updated. Bring on 12.30pm onwards

To play Lions away (5th v 8th)
Dogs, Us and Freo = 8th, play BL at Gabba
Dogs, Us and Port = 8th, play BL at Gabba
Dogs, StK, Port = 8th, play BL at Gabba
GWS, StK, Port = 8th, play BL at Gabba

To play Hawks at G (6th v 7th)
GWS, Us and Freo = 7th, play Hawks at G
GWS, Us and Port = 7th, play Hawks at G

Finish 9th and miss
Dogs, StK and Freo = Finish 9th
GWS, StK and Freo = Finish 9th
Or we draw. Freo win. And we miss finals on % same as 2022

Living up here I tend to follow them quite a bit more than other clubs.

View attachment 2090263

That's his second half of the year where they've won 10 of 12. That's 3 vote city.

We know he polls in games hr shouldn't as well so those low possession games wouldn't surprise me if he gets 1 or 2.
Hits the scoreboard more than I thought. Good player

Its impressive the way they have turned things around.

Not easy to win flags as we all know but compared to most clubs they continue to do very well. Geelong another well run club.

We are nearly there. I believe we are short of a good head of footy department.
It makes sense, though. 2016-2020 is list recalibration, 2021-2024 is development and recruiting with a development setup and list management department that had already produced results and a rehab setup that managed to keep the key players on the park. They didn't start as far back as others have, and they've been given a dream ride by the fates this year in who they've played, where and when they've played them. They were always going to have reasonable season, but the footy gods have conspired to gift them an armchair ride; we'll just see how long it lasts.

They're not playing the best footy in it, and they still - IMO - look fragile to breakable behind the ball. Shut down the transition game - ie, control where you take risks to prevent turnovers burning you - and win clearance and you're well on your way to beating them.

It makes sense, though. 2016-2020 is list recalibration, 2021-2024 is development and recruiting with a development setup and list management department that had already produced results and a rehab setup that managed to keep the key players on the park. They didn't start as far back as others have, and they've been given a dream ride by the fates this year in who they've played, where and when they've played them. They were always going to have reasonable season, but the footy gods have conspired to gift them an armchair ride; we'll just see how long it lasts.

They're not playing the best footy in it, and they still - IMO - look fragile to breakable behind the ball. Shut down the transition game - ie, control where you take risks to prevent turnovers burning you - and win clearance and you're well on your way to beating them.
Teams usually have a run of good form for various reasons.

Players are fit/avaialble for selection

Highly motivated group due to whatever reason …example curnow camp

Moving magnets around to get more out of the group

varied Coaching strategies

Easier run of opponents

I believe hawks current form is due to the last point…Mitchel and his coaching team. They’ve done well.

So things can turn for them as other teams work their current strategies out…not sure they’ll go all the way this year but it could be another dogs/2016 sort of year.

Teams usually have a run of good form for various reasons.

Players are fit/avaialble for selection

Highly motivated group due to whatever reason …example curnow camp

Moving magnets around to get more out of the group

varied Coaching strategies

Easier run of opponents

I believe hawks current form is due to the last point…Mitchel and his coaching team. They’ve done well.

So things can turn for them as other teams work their current strategies out…not sure they’ll go all the way this year but it could be another dogs/2016 sort of year.
The Dogs were a combination of strategic innovation that was not fully understood until after the year (defensive pivot from KPP talls) and a highly motivated group, as well as one of the best finals performances by a list ever in their prelim against the Giants. Once they won that, there was no chance of anyone beating them.

Hawthorn's run this year is due to continuity, a list realisation ("Hey, this is pretty fun, right?") that they are strong, and an easier run of opposition. If there's a strategic innovation in there, I've not watched enough of them to see it.

I genuinely think they've got this far because the leadership's good - Mitchell - and the exuberance of youth invigorating the list. When we belted up Richmond in 2011, we saw something like what Hawthorn are doing this year; the team realised, collectively, who they could be without Fev and that realisation was almost enough. Problem is, finals are a new challenge, and it's frequently not as much fun; there's no real way to downhill ski in a final, and Hawthorn at present are brutal when in front because they love to downhill ski.

It's going to be interesting to see how they go, depending on who they get.

GWS resting 3 players now. Plus hogan missed the bus. GWS lose puts no pressure on port to win unless freo beat them by 21+. We now have to win imo.
Daniels is the only one you could consider being “rested”. Stone and Bedford are fringe best 22 players

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 21 - 24 Power beat Freo. Blues make finals. Thank you Port!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back