Game Day Around the Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Their ball movement is underestimated. Their ball movement is exquisite to watch. I put myself through the torture of their shellacking against us and as soon as I realised we were not going to win I started watching the way they moved the ball, get themselves in position down the line etc. it isn't just intensity.
Their ball movement against us looked fantastic because we applied no pressure, same again tonight dogs didn't pressure them at all.

Geelong giving them a hiding wasn't an off week for the hawks, scott just the only one willing/able to counter their play style.

Dogs saved a bit of face in the last quarter. It looked like a 10 goal loss at orange time.

I thought the Dogs tried to scrap their way to a victory early but you’ll need something different to beat the Hawks.

When the pressure dropped during the second quarter the writing was on the wall. The Hawks are super confident and aggressive with their ball movement. The only players who were below par for them were Chol, Weddle and Moore. It was an even effort across the board.

However the Dogs had players down all over the ground. I thought the likes of Richards and Daniel had a real dip. Some of the back line as well due to the dominance of the other team. The barometer for me is Bont and English. When they’re quiet you can be sure of a Dogs loss.

They’ll start as favourites against Port Adelaide. It’s likely they’ll play in Sydney the week after.

Their ball movement is underestimated. Their ball movement is exquisite to watch. I put myself through the torture of their shellacking against us and as soon as I realised we were not going to win I started watching the way they moved the ball, get themselves in position down the line etc. it isn't just intensity.
Their ball movement is a cut above - but it would mean nothing if they weren't also very good at maintaining strong pressure in every contest and always having support around the ball in possession - which is effort. The 'laziest' looking player for the Hawks is always their FF and even he puts in more run than most tall forwards.

Hard to criticize them tbh - and have been under rated all year- Mitchell has done an excellent job rebuilding around a game plan and style he wants to play - and has also been clever enough to keep a bunch of old wise heads around to make sure that youth has on field guidance.

Mitchell has built this side in 3 seasons. He clearly has gone for smart players who understand positioning, plenty of pace around the periphery and he has empowered them to go out and enjoy their football. It's crazy that a team that should be down the bottom for a couple more years, is odds on favourite to play in a prelim in a fortnight.

Man, I wish we have tried to add some more x factor and pace, and allow our players a bit more licence to use their skill and experience. What a ride from the Hawks. Shits me to tears! :tonguewink:

Last edited:
They move the ball with quick short passes … you go man on man against them and pressure

Hmm, I understand the idea of going man on man with them as they beat the zone with their running, but you need every one of your players to be able to keep up with the next man running past. Bloody hard unless you can match them for speed and reading the play.

They move the ball with quick short passes … you go man on man against them and pressure

Sydney would be able to do this to the hawks at the smaller SCG if they meet in a prelim, in a similar way they successfully contained Collingwood’s run and gun style in recent games there.

I think it was Leigh Montana on Fox Footy who ran a segment a few weeks back about what they (the network) labelled hokball. It was an analysis of how Hawthorn monopolise the ball and create space through the corridor.

For those who haven’t seen it, the footage is worth a Google. There is no fluke to what they are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell has built this side in 3 seasons. He clearly has gone for smart players who understand positioning, plenty of pace around the periphery and he has empowered them to go out and enjoy their football. It's crazy that a team that should be down the bottom for a couple more years, is odds on favourite to play in a prelim in a fortnight.

Man, I wish we have tried to add some more x factor and pace, and allow our players a bit more licence to use their skill and experience. What a ride from the Hawks. Shits me to tears! :tonguewink:
My favorite game style to watch. I've been told on here many times that it isn't the game style to win finals.
A bit early to know yet. That still might be true.

Last edited:
I think it was Leigh Montana on Fox Footy who ran a segment a few weeks back about what they (the network) labelled hokball. It was an analysis of how Hawthorn monopolise the ball and create space through the corridor.

For those who haven’t seen it, the footage is worth a Google. There is no fluke to what they are doing.
Just an 18 man tag, simples yes?

Benefit of having the Gee as home ground. Doggies are a 3 goal better team at marvel.

Shows also the difference of a team made up of journeymen and a few class acts, ( the Bont the only real stand-out).

And the hawks, mainly all high draft picks. Highly talented youngsters, now coming into their own.
And we started a complete rebuild from ground zero 8-10 years ago ... :shoutyoldman:

Dogs saved a bit of face in the last quarter. It looked like a 10 goal loss at orange time.

I thought the Dogs tried to scrap their way to a victory early but you’ll need something different to beat the Hawks.

When the pressure dropped during the second quarter the writing was on the wall. The Hawks are super confident and aggressive with their ball movement. The only players who were below par for them were Chol, Weddle and Moore. It was an even effort across the board.

However the Dogs had players down all over the ground. I thought the likes of Richards and Daniel had a real dip. Some of the back line as well due to the dominance of the other team. The barometer for me is Bont and English. When they’re quiet you can be sure of a Dogs loss.

They’ll start as favourites against Port Adelaide. It’s likely they’ll play in Sydney the week after.
Be interesting to see how they go on the scg

The media pile on for Bontampelli’s performance is pretty bad - he had a lot of mates last night.

If we are going to win tonight it needs a team first approach- everyone contributes - we all want Cripps to put on his cape but it’s about time the whole side stands with him. :thumbsu:
The effort and intensity of our team in last 2 games was excellent.

Just not used to playing at the G. The Marvel ground curse continues. Only one team in the last 20 years have won a premiership that calls Marvel stadium home.
My recollection of our game against the Hawks is that we spent the whole day falling over too (or running to the rooms for injury assessments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around the Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back