Game Day Around the Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks remind me a bit of the Pies last year - a playing group built for a game plan that is ahead of the pack. Over last summer, 'the pack' put a lot of work into the Pies' game plan, and that advantage they had was gone. As a result, they miss finals.

Will be interesting to see if the same thing to the Hawks next year (irrespective of where they finish this year).

Hawks remind me a bit of the Pies last year - a playing group built for a game plan that is ahead of the pack. Over last summer, 'the pack' put a lot of work into the Pies' game plan, and that advantage they had was gone. As a result, they miss finals.

Will be interesting to see if the same thing to the Hawks next year (irrespective of where they finish this year).
Amazing what hawks have done with such a young side. There is hardly any player there that stands out as a genuine star.

I think filth have been similar in recent years mostly built in team wide input into a novel/innovative game plan.

we need to get off the Temu express train and start being innovative.

old, young, slow, fast, spread, lowering eyes (what does that even mean?), just play like its your last game and we'll win.

the hawks are in beast mode with zero fear and gorgeous to watch and with the results as it is, I wouldnt be surprise if GWS beat the Swans.

Interested in David King's take given how much he backs dog's coach and team.
i was expecting more from dogs last night but something didnt look right with them...

bont never really got going for some reason and Im not sure why he was playing at centre half forward for most of the game rather than his usual midfield.

Their forwards never really got going either..naughton ugle and darcy who usually play a lot better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we need to get off the Temu express train and start being innovative.

old, young, slow, fast, spread, lowering eyes (what does that even mean?), just play like its your last game and we'll win.

the hawks are in beast mode with zero fear and gorgeous to watch and with the results as it is, I wouldnt be surprise if GWS beat the Swans.
Agree, Hawks play with high pressure, skill, speed and sound game plan, Sam Mitchell was a very good footballer and now coach, his influence, cohesiveness with his young team is not only innovative but effervescent, so refreshing for all footy fans too.
Its obvious everyone, is enjoying their footy at the Hawks and the results show it.

Last edited:

unlike our win streak last year they way they win feels sustainable so I fear they’ve permanently gone past us especially if they add Barrass and Battle, and get Mitch Lewis back next year. They’ve got a good coach, a playing group who get along like they are all best mates, a list manager who targets needs very well and doesn’t over pay for shiny new toys and they develop gems at Box Hill. The result I fear will be a quicker, better and more successful rebuild than ours. They are a very well run club. A modern day Goliath.

The idea that we never should've left PP is not at all what I'm saying. To say that Geelong have the benefits of being a Victorian side whilst retaining genuine HGA via Kardinia is to be point blank honest. They've made finals for most of the last decade despite arguably being just okay for most of that time purely by dint of banking wins at home and greater ground experience at the G than interstate sides.

I'd kill for their record, but their circumstances provide some of it for them. Couple a unique situation that sees them retain a HGA whilst also playing half their games at the G with the best development setup in the comp and a retirement package that cannot be matched, and you've got a recipe to print success.
Really enjoyed your reply.

I’d love to know if the club has ever done a real investigation in to how many more games we’d win per season, if we were able to play 5 games at PP.

Then how much it would cost to get the stadium up to scratch.

I remember Cook saying something not long ago when asked about playing games at PP, he commented on how many members we had and our average crowd numbers.

The above was more my point, that we and all the other vic clubs give/gave up our home ground advantage due to money.

GWyxb7XbIAABSCC

Or it's because the law of averages had the Pies lose more close games than usual. Last year if they had, they'd be struggling to make the 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around the Grounds - Week 1 - Elimination & Qualifying Finals 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back