Game Day Around The Grounds - Week 2 - Semi Finals 1 & 2 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And longish serving coaches
Scott, Horse are great coaches. Fagan turned the Brisbane sh!!show around after Voss and Leppitsch turned them into a basket case. Hinkley has 2 good and 1 bad year but where they were before him theyā€™re much improved pretty quick when he started.

Long tenure equating to success tends to see consistent impact in the first 3-4 seasons.

Hardwick defied odds, but finally they recruited well, nailed trades and drafting and hit a sweet spot in their demographic.

Not sure the Afl will be licking their lips come grand final day when the MCG has 25-30,000 empty seats

Geelong belting Sydney had 104k two years ago

Game will sell out and be attended.

GWS are a better team on paper than most, but have probably almost the weakest mental strength.

Havenā€™t set the world on fire in the last 6 weeks

All the champion data stats pointed to them struggling this finals campaign

Although if they got through I could have seen them in a Granny V the Swans

Highly doubt that will happen.

You could put Gold Coast Vs GWS into a grand final and it would sell out

Doubt it- crap load of port supporters would head over

Brisbane v Port 2004 GF crowd was in the 70,000s. Geelong v Sydney is the only hope for a decent crowd.

AFL is creating a rod for its own back with northern state concessions. A couple years of GWs, Syd, Gold Coast grand finals would be a disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane v Port 2004 GF crowd was in the 70,000s. Geelong v Sydney is the only hope for a decent crowd.

AFL is creating a rod for its own back with northern state concessions. A couple years of GWs, Syd, Gold Coast grand finals would be a disaster.
2004 GF? Thats 20 years ago.
Any GF at the MCG these days would fetch far more than 70k.

2004 GF? Thats 20 years ago.
Any GF at the MCG these days would fetch far more than 70k.
In the 1980s and 1990s there were far bigger crowds. Itā€™s no coincidence the worst final crowd in living memory (Covid years and Waverley grand final excluded) featured 2 poorly supported sides. An AFL GF between GWS and Gold Coast would be an absolute disaster.

Ehh that's when the new stand was being built. Reduced capacity.

I was interested in following up on that "GWS have choked all season" narrative that I formed in my head by watching them this year:

GWS only had one loss this year where they did not have a lead at the end of any quarter. Round 15 Vs Sydney.

In over half of their losses, they had a lead well after half-time.

Correction though: That Saints game I referenced earlier in the thread was actually won by GWS. Though they had a 10.10.70 to 6.5.41 lead at 3/4 time. Saints kicked 6.2 in the fourth quarter before running out of steam and GWS held on by 10 points.

Conclusion: If Kingsley can work out a better strategy when the tsunami falls apart and they're out of energy they're going to be awfully difficult to beat for a flag. Until then, results like tonight shouldn't completely shock.

ALL i can say Brisbane stole the game the umpire who gave Daniher a free kick should never umpire another AFL game. GWS was pushed in back by Joe deliberately on the ball that made him hit the ball.

118 minutes of confirmation as to why Big Joe is a flog. 2 minutes of greatness that gets his team over the line.
The last mark and goal was but the previous one he got a free kick handed by either a half blind Joe Biden type senile umpire or shill being bought by corrupt bookies mafia type. The GWS free paid against he deliberately pushed the GWS player in back on to ball even Darcy called it out. The first call of pushing in back should have been called.

3 finals losses in a row to the giants by a goal or less. Canā€™t seem to get over the hump in close finals games so far. An all time season this year has been

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Around The Grounds - Week 2 - Semi Finals 1 & 2 - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back