As a player where does Cuz sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion he was a lot better than Buckley and Ricciuto. Better than Judd and Harvey. Maybe on par with Voss and Black. Not quite up to Hird's level.

Bitter or not about Judd, every Eagles fan will tell you that Cuz was the real heart and soul and spiritual captain of the club and that he's achieved a lot more than Judd.

Thanks for the memories :)

In my opinion he was a lot better than Buckley and Ricciuto. Better than Judd and Harvey. Maybe on par with Voss and Black. Not quite up to Hird's level.

I'd have him on par with Bucks, Roo, Voss and Black but yeah Hird was something else again. Yes I just contradicted my pervious comment but I really think Hird was just a slightly different player to the full time midfielders.

froth much guys?

i will admit i've never rated him as highly as the people around me have, but to say he's one of the greats of the modern era is a bit much...

in my time i'd take these players before him (in no particular order)...Dean Kemp, Chris Judd, Michael Voss, Simon Black, Robert Harvey, Greg Williams, Bret Ratten, Tim Watson, Scott West, Gary Hocking, Gary Ablett Jr, Mark Ricciuto, Darren Jarman...there's no doubt more i'd add to the list...

I'd put him on par with Shane Crawford and Simon Goodwin.

Champion.
The most inspirational Eagle player ever.

The drug saga is something he will carry with him forever probably...But I hope people dont forget what an absolute great player he was.

Watching him play live was amazing..

I remember a final against Port Adelaide after Cuz had come back. We were going well and looked like getting on top. Cuz did his Hammy late in the game and from then on you knew we would lose cos he was just spiritual leader.

froth much guys?

i will admit i've never rated him as highly as the people around me have, but to say he's one of the greats of the modern era is a bit much...

in my time i'd take these players before him (in no particular order)...Dean Kemp, Chris Judd, Michael Voss, Simon Black, Robert Harvey, Greg Williams, Bret Ratten, Tim Watson, Scott West, Gary Hocking, Gary Ablett Jr, Mark Ricciuto, Darren Jarman...there's no doubt more i'd add to the list...

I'd put him on par with Shane Crawford and Simon Goodwin.

Players in boldare behind Cuz in my book.

This little guy pre lay off was capable of anything. Was at every contest and winning it and hurting the oppisition. Won the hardest ball time and time again and than ran on for the recieve, Used the ball so well and intellgently and with great skill. We all know how fit he is and for someone that size he was amazingly strong, untacklable and held his own tackles wonderfly well, bounced off packs or broke them open by running through and than running away. .

Performed on the biggest stages and the biggest moments and did so constantly.

It might only be the missing years and the finish that rule him out of being up there with the best of the best but to say among the best footballers to play the game is not to much of a stretch at all when talking about Cousins.

In the top three midfielders in the modern era for mine........
Shame how it all ended for him at W.Coast ...... Pleased to see he seems to be forgiven my most coaster fans as you could make case his problems
were a factor in the club falling in a heap a few years ago..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might be strange - in my opinion Voss, Buckley and Hird dominated.

Ricciuto and Cousins tore games apart - I would rate them both higher than the above mentioned, who don't get me wrong were also superstars, but to me they had a different aura to Roo and Cuz.

the only other 2 players i've seen in the same light as Ricciuto and Cousins were Wayne Carey and a fit Kouta, they had something special and different about them.

I'm a bit biased though, Cousins is close to my all time favourite. What i would do to see him come down to Carlton next year *sigh*

Ummm... West Coast supporters you do realise that he pretty much ripped the heart out of your club and made you the rabble that you are today?
ummmm.......you do realise that while the Eagles were struggling in the early 2000's, Cousins WAS the heart of the club? I think I speak for a lot of Eagles supporters when I say that yes, the mess in 2007 hurt the club and we were disappointed and it has made it harder for us while we rebuild. But we're also smart enough to realise just how much Cuz gave to the club while he was there and we can forgive him. Most Eagles supporters are just happy that a champion of our club is still alive today and has been able to turn his life around and can now leave the game in dignity.

ummmm.......you do realise that while the Eagles were struggling in the early 2000's, Cousins WAS the heart of the club? I think I speak for a lot of Eagles supporters when I say that yes, the mess in 2007 hurt the club and we were disappointed and it has made it harder for us while we rebuild. But we're also smart enough to realise just how much Cuz gave to the club while he was there and we can forgive him. Most Eagles supporters are just happy that a champion of our club is still alive today and has been able to turn his life around and can now leave the game in dignity.

I wouldnt be so forgiving... But up to you... There are too many other WC players that didnt screw the club over, lie to coaching staff etc., just to indulge their party ways that deserve more kudos that Cuzz.

I would be actually down right pissed off at him if he did that to my club so Im surprised by the man love on here. What he did was the ultimate putting individual over the the team.

But he was a top player ;)

I wouldnt be so forgiving... But up to you... There are too many other WC players that didnt screw the club over, lie to coaching staff etc., just to indulge their party ways that deserve more kudos that Cuzz.

I would be actually down right pissed off at him if he did that to my club so Im surprised by the man love on here. What he did was the ultimate putting individual over the the team.

But he was a top player ;)
People say the Eagles had a culture of parting and indulging their habits....Cuz was just the biggest fish with the biggest habit and the one the media had the biggest interest in.

I hardly think he screwed the club over and I'd say there's a fair share of players in the entire competition who've lied to their coaching staff about what they get up to over the weekend or why they're a bit dusty before training.

I'd have been pissed if a player who had never given anything to my club was to cause a furore and plunge the club into turmoil, but I can forgive a player who was the heart and soul of the club and who put so much work into not only his own development, but the development of the players around him, teaching them to get the most out of training and the skills that they have.

He's a hugely flawed genius, but I know that the Eagles wouldn't have such a history of success if it wasn't for him and his inspirational play and leadership and so I suffer the struggles we go through after his departure quietly, for we are still a better club for his having played for us.

People say the Eagles had a culture of parting and indulging their habits....Cuz was just the biggest fish with the biggest habit and the one the media had the biggest interest in.

I hardly think he screwed the club over and I'd say there's a fair share of players in the entire competition who've lied to their coaching staff about what they get up to over the weekend or why they're a bit dusty before training.

I'd have been pissed if a player who had never given anything to my club was to cause a furore and plunge the club into turmoil, but I can forgive a player who was the heart and soul of the club and who put so much work into not only his own development, but the development of the players around him, teaching them to get the most out of training and the skills that they have.

He's a hugely flawed genius, but I know that the Eagles wouldn't have such a history of success if it wasn't for him and his inspirational play and leadership and so I suffer the struggles we go through after his departure quietly, for we are still a better club for his having played for us.

:thumbsu:
Ben was the greatest player this club has seen.
He was the shining light when the club was down and the shining light in the years when the club was dominant.
We would not have won the 2006 premiership without him. Cox, Kerr and Judd would not have taken us to the premiership without Ben. He may not have been captain in name but every West Coast fan knows he was the spiritual leader of the club. Woosha showed that when he invited Ben to hold the cup along with the supposed captain Judd. Ben's leadership was exceptional. He led with his heart and the others would do anything for him. Sam Butler was interviewed when Ben announced his retirement, and he summed it up when he said he wished Ben was still here. Dean Cox says Ben is the greatest player he has played with.
I hope one day he can return home to the Eagles - I wish I could be in Melbourne to see his last game. I hope there is a huge crowd to see a champion of the game go out in style.

Amazingly gifted.
The first sportsman able to be totally in control of amphetamines. Never even addicted :thumbsu:

Its an amazing record and period of self control...no idea why people think he was out of control with his drug taking.

Afterall if he was addicted he would not have been able to just turn around and say "nahh not this week or until after the footy season ends " for the entire footy season. Addicts cant do that unless they're pretty darn special souls (or arnt actually addicted).

The alternative of course is that he was addicted and had an out of control drug habit....and therefore taking an amphetamine variant during the footy season and hiding it... but that'd simply group him in with other drug cheats and we dont want that.

Not only a great footballer but special in so many ways. More loved than the baby Jesus :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

As a player where does Cuz sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back