Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Agar bowls straight breaks - useful enough with the white ball, not the red

Agar should only make the side if his batting gets up to a 40 average and he becomes a batting all rounder or we want a dart spinner on a dustbowl.

so basically any match on the sub continent.

Leg spinners generally get slogged on the sub continent which is why i'd be going for Agar. I think he will do really well. He is super fit, good fielder and a good player of spin.

Agar bowls straight breaks - useful enough with the white ball, not the red

Agar should only make the side if his batting gets up to a 40 average and he becomes a batting all rounder or we want a dart spinner on a dustbowl.

That os what you need in the sub continent Jadeja hasn't turned one in his life

he won't be getting up to 4 until Smith retires so i'm not sure he needs to worry about that. If he is batting at 5 and bowling a bit that is not a true allrounder but it is something valuable for the team.

Cummins at his age had a lay off for like 5 years due to the same issues, it may just be a matter of time for Green. He is good enough with the bat to play anyway.
It seems like they've definitely put a limit on him, which isn't a bad thing as he's still young. Limit him to ~12 overs a game for a while until his body matures more and can handle more of a load.

By no means is he done, but a slight brake has been put on, which is fine considering he's still an asset with the bat. Until he develops a no.5 that bowls 6 overs an innings is more than handy. Not quite all-rounder but between him and Marnus they'd make up a 5th bowling option.

It seems like they've definitely put a limit on him, which isn't a bad thing as he's still young. Limit him to ~12 overs a game for a while until his body matures more and can handle more of a load.

By no means is he done, but a slight brake has been put on, which is fine considering he's still an asset with the bat. Until he develops a no.5 that bowls 6 overs an innings is more than handy. Not quite all-rounder but between him and Marnus they'd make up a 5th bowling option.
Shane Watson type with hopefully a longer peak than Watson had

Don’t think they will leave Broad out, especially if they are rotating the two as they will want Anderson with the pink ball
I think Anderson will play the first 2 at least. Not sure Broad is here for anything but injury cover. If they’re getting belted come Sydney they may pick him to go give one of the others some respite

It gives me no joy to write this but Cameron Green is finished as a meaningful bowling bowling option. Leading up to last summer he'd had 4 back injuries in 4 years and it's ruined him. He's either physically incapable or mentally gun shy (perfectly understandable) of letting himself go and is now nothing more than a trundler. It's a damn shame too because as an 18 year old he was bowling beautiful 140kph outswingers.

He needs to concentrate on turning the strike over more regularly and becoming a genuine top 4 batsman.

At 18 Cummins, at the start of his career in fast bowling, with injury after injury, suddenly looked done.

I agree, Green needs to concentrate on his batting. As his body develops he may yet make a Cummins type comeback with his bowling. He may yet become the awesome allrounder we want. We all hope so.

I think everybody is sleeping on Robinson and Wood, I expect them to do well on our pitches.
Wood is an injury prone burst bowler , although a decent one he will leak runs here with his skiddy trajectory if he gets it slightly wrong.
Robinson is untried here , looked ok with a Duke on seaming decks . Here will be far tougher for him and if can't move it he is the type of the pace that will get clobbered.

Anderson is 40 , Broad has lost a yard or two and zip off the pitch. And they both have average records here .
Plus no decent spinner .

I cant see them realistically getting 20 wickets per test here.
Its why Australia despite being pretty average should win comfortable .

0% chance we have an ashes test in Perth this tour, unfortunately. Emperor Mcgowan has hit the panic button and put them back to 14 days and their family can't travel - when the explicit condition of touring was no proper hotel quarantine and families can travel.

I think the ACB could have offered a compromise, months ago.

Many years in the past, the Ashes series started with tests in Brisbane, then Perth, then onwards. It appears the lineup of the games has changed, with Perth being down the line ( after Melbourne ). Months ago, it was known that WA would probably still have strong border controls come January.

Should the games schedule have been shuffled around, months ago ?. Play the game in Perth, then onto Melbourne & Sydney. Compromise is made and the series would roll along pretty smoothly.

The situation we have is, ACB v State Govt. who is going to blink first ??. The bookies would be backing the Govt to hold their ground, ACB compromise was always required.

For the record, I’ve heard no talk around my workmates about losing the WACA test. Not too sure what that says ?, lack of interest in cricket or studying the form for the Winter Olympics is more fun.

Last edited:
gday guys my old man and I were heading up to brissy for the first test, COVID has derailed our plans (again!!!) and now we have two tickets without a home for day 1 at the GABBA. Section 214 E Alcohol-Free zone seats D130 and D131. Ground-level as well, one concession and one adult. Looking for $20 for the concession and $25 for the Adult (retail price was $23 and $30). Chuck us a pm if you are interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the ACB could have offered a compromise, months ago.

Many years in the past, the Ashes series started with tests in Brisbane, then Perth, then onwards. It appears the lineup of the games has changed, with Perth being down the line ( after Melbourne ). Months ago, it was known that WA would probably still have strong border controls come January.

Even if they flew into WA first it wouldn't have mattered. They weren't willing to quaratine.

How is it Travis Head's fault that he's surrounded by a pack of spuds at SA?

In saying that, neither Unman or Head are the answer. Maddinson should have clearly been picked.

It's not Heads fault his centuries don't win games because the rest of his side absolutely sucks. It'd be like saying Damien Martyn was better than Brian Lara because he made more hundreds in winning sides.

Posted this elsewhere, I genuinely think Head should have switched states by now. At a certain point you have to take your career into your own hands and do what's best for yourself. SA are, and for a long as I can remember have been a basket case and it's not something Head can fix on his own. RE: the centuries he makes, he has zero 2nd innings hundreds at Test level so the idea that he "saves" matches in the latter digs is simply untrue. At Test level, at least.

And I'll say it again, I genuinely like Trav and really like him because he's got leadership behind him. I just don't view him as the best option at 5 right now.

Couldn't disagree any harder on Maddinson being the answer, not sure I'd ever go back there to be honest.

I think Anderson will play the first 2 at least. Not sure Broad is here for anything but injury cover. If they’re getting belted come Sydney they may pick him to go give one of the others some respite
Anderson averages 18 in the first innings over the last 2 years and 50 in the 2nd innings. The last English summer it was 20 in 1st innings and 130 in the 2nd innings. Just need to not let him cause damage early and he will struggle to back up

Posted this elsewhere, I genuinely think Head should have switched states by now. At a certain point you have to take your career into your own hands and do what's best for yourself. SA are, and for a long as I can remember have been a basket case and it's not something Head can fix on his own. RE: the centuries he makes, he has zero 2nd innings hundreds at Test level so the idea that he "saves" matches in the latter digs is simply untrue. At Test level, at least.

And I'll say it again, I genuinely like Trav and really like him because he's got leadership behind him. I just don't view him as the best option at 5 right now.

Couldn't disagree any harder on Maddinson being the answer, not sure I'd ever go back there to be honest.
Shouldn't be up to players to switch states just to be noticed by a selector. Switching for a shield etc that's different. But the national selectors have long been very poor. Over rating nsw players over the other states.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on what? Maddo has consistently been one of the top shield batsmen since coming to Vic. They dropped Bradman with an average of less than 10 just because he failed at first doesn’t mean it’s the end

i see henriques is having a sook about not being picket for the ashes, questioning the 'logic' of the selectors, despite the fact he hasnt played any shield cricket this year and averages 24 in tests and 37 in first class.

maybe get back to us when you average 48 in first class and 55 in tests, get dropped 3 tests after making 200 for a selectors favourite despite that player being in shocking form, and then not being recalled when that player retires mid way through the next series.

There's been a lot of painful selections the last 15 years or so we simply haven't been as good and have had people suspended and or injured. Nothing has made me quite as angry or as despondent as seeing Henriques in our national cricket team. Absolutely useless at that level.

Shouldn't be up to players to switch states just to be noticed by a selector. Switching for a shield etc that's different. But the national selectors have long been very poor. Over rating nsw players over the other states.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Travis has represented Australia 77 times in total. It's not about being noticed, it's about removing yourself from a pile of garbage. Of course he'd be closer to a title away from SA. Everyone in the world would be able to recognise that.

And SL is a test nation, Khawaja’s ashes average is 29. That’s sh*t especially when half his ashes tests have been at home

he averages 43 in ashes here though and 19 in england, look i wouldnt be wanting him recalled for an ashes in england right now but the only thing we need to ask is who can make runs right here right now to win us the ashes, he has scored runs vs england in aus and averages over 50 in his career in Australia and he is in form so this seems an easy choice considering the lack of proven test batsmen we have.

Long term our batting is awful for anything other than our conditions and thats not going to be solved with or without khawaja in the side, if an ashes was starting in england today smith and marnus would have to dominate or we get crushed, head harris warner khawaja pick whatever you like from that they are all failing in those conditions and the ones in line to take their place probably do the same but thats not the concern this summer all that matters is who can score runs on our decks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back