Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith can’t bowl, hasn’t bowled in years

Just can’t see us going three front liners that is taking Haze out and that’s a terrible idea. Think we need to trust our pace bowlers. I’m all for playing the second one instead of Starc/Richo though. Lab can bowl

They will look to use Agar in the way India uses Jadeja a bowling all rounder who bats 6/7 giving them the flexibility to pick extra bowlers

He can’t bat 6/7 in tests he’s not Jadeja with the bat. He’s a very handy 8-9. Our keeper ain’t Gilchrist with the bat. Batting is weak enough as it is

But if we go there with 3 quicks we will lose. As well as the Kiwi quicks did they didn’t put them in a position to win
Because the 3 spinners they had were useless. They had them 5/50 in the 2nd innings and couldn't go on with it. Just 1 good one in their team and New Zealand may have been able to win that

Inglis fairly stitched up, not given the chance to push his claims in any format and essentially taken out of the running because of it.

Starc being chosen ahead of Richardson is also inevitable and will absolutely do my head in.

I want Swepson to really push Lyon, who was shocking against India as well.

Harris, massive meh.

Go Aussies? I guess.

Carey was always well in front of Inglis for the keeper spot.

If anything, the Aussie selectors have been kissed on the dick that Carey was playing shield cricket when all the Willy pic stuff came out.

Inglis is showing great promise and is deservedly next in line if Carey gets injured or goes awful behind the stumps.

Because the 3 spinners they had were useless. They had them 5/50 in the 2nd innings and couldn't go on with it. Just 1 good one in their team and New Zealand may have been able to win that
But NZ struggle to find a decent spinner. They went with Santnar for years who has never taken more than 3 wickets in an innings in a FC game

What do we think will be Englands XI for the first test?
I'd go (providing Stokes is available to play)...

Rory Burns
Haseeb Hameed (mainly to take the shine off the new ball, I guess)
Dawid Malan
Joe Root (c)
Johnny Bairstow (could be Pope, but I suspect seniority will get him the nod to start the series)
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler (+)
Chris Woakes
Ollie Robinson
Mark Wood
James Anderson
12th - Stuart Broad (I'd be building the attack around Wood/Robinson down here; whoever misses out will be unlucky)

Root can chip in with the ball, I doubt Bess/Leach would provide much more up in Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I had to take a guess:

1. Burns
2. Hameed
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Pope
7. Buttler
8. Robinson
9. Leach
10. Wood
11. Anderson
I'd go (providing Stokes is available to play)...

Rory Burns
Haseeb Hameed (mainly to take the shine off the new ball, I guess)
Dawid Malan
Joe Root (c)
Johnny Bairstow (could be Pope, but I suspect seniority will get him the nod to start the series)
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler (+)
Chris Woakes
Ollie Robinson
Mark Wood
James Anderson
12th - Stuart Broad (I'd be building the attack around Wood/Robinson down here; whoever misses out will be unlucky)

Root can chip in with the ball, I doubt Bess/Leach would provide much more up in Brisbane.

Thank you! That top 3 looks fragile, what are Hameed and Malan like as test players?
Archer a huge miss, wish his elbow was right.

Khawaja over Head is the right call but not one I expected them to make. I really like Trav but I thought Ed Cowan absolutely nailed it the other day on ABC.

"my only question mark on Travis Head is that he is a hundred scorer, but he doesn't score match winning hundreds. If he did, South Australia wouldn't be coming last every year in the Sheffield Shield. Usman is a match winner. When he gets runs, he gets the hard runs."

I think Trav has a long term future in the Test side, admittedly part of the allure for me is his leadership possibilities, of which we are bereft of. But at this point in time, Trav is still making ordinary mistakes leading to dismissals. This Summer, I think Usman is the better option.

Richardson over Starc is a dream that unfortunately won't become reality, at least not early on anyway.

How is it Travis Head's fault that he's surrounded by a pack of spuds at SA?

In saying that, neither Unman or Head are the answer. Maddinson should have clearly been picked.

I am very happy that Paine is no longer captain because HOPEFULLY it means they will actually use him as a legitimate bowling option.

The way Paine used him during the Indian series was disgraceful. it was like, OK lets put you on against two set batsman. You have 2 overs to make an impact or you'll be pulled out of the attack. Crazy stuff.

That's not Paine's choice. He's been told to look after the kid who was just returning to bowl.

Imagine Green broke down from being over bowled. People would have lost their marbles over it.

Khawaja over Head is the right call but not one I expected them to make. I really like Trav but I thought Ed Cowan absolutely nailed it the other day on ABC.

"my only question mark on Travis Head is that he is a hundred scorer, but he doesn't score match winning hundreds. If he did, South Australia wouldn't be coming last every year in the Sheffield Shield. Usman is a match winner. When he gets runs, he gets the hard runs."

This isn't the first time he's had a spray at Travis Head. I don't disagree with him but he clearly has some shit on his liver about Head and it's kind of amusing coming from someone who's normally very measured in his comments.

100%. It’s either Swepson or Agar for the second spinner then use Lab/Smith as the third
Agar bowls straight breaks - useful enough with the white ball, not the red

Agar should only make the side if his batting gets up to a 40 average and he becomes a batting all rounder or we want a dart spinner on a dustbowl.

I am very happy that Paine is no longer captain because HOPEFULLY it means they will actually use him as a legitimate bowling option.

The way Paine used him during the Indian series was disgraceful. it was like, OK lets put you on against two set batsman. You have 2 overs to make an impact or you'll be pulled out of the attack. Crazy stuff.

It gives me no joy to write this but Cameron Green is finished as a meaningful bowling bowling option. Leading up to last summer he'd had 4 back injuries in 4 years and it's ruined him. He's either physically incapable or mentally gun shy (perfectly understandable) of letting himself go and is now nothing more than a trundler. It's a damn shame too because as an 18 year old he was bowling beautiful 140kph outswingers.

He needs to concentrate on turning the strike over more regularly and becoming a genuine top 4 batsman.

This isn't the first time he's had a spray at Travis Head. I don't disagree with him but he clearly has some sh*t on his liver about Head and it's kind of amusing coming from someone who's normally very measured in his comments.

I think it’s more to do with the fact that Khawaja is a close personal friend of his.

It gives me no joy to write this but Cameron Green is finished as a meaningful bowling bowling option. Leading up to last summer he'd had 4 back injuries in 4 years and it's ruined him. He's either physically incapable or mentally gun shy (perfectly understandable) of letting himself go and is now nothing more than a trundler. It's a damn shame too because as an 18 year old he was bowling beautiful 140kph outswingers.

He needs to concentrate on turning the strike over more regularly and becoming a genuine top 4 batsman.

he won't be getting up to 4 until Smith retires so i'm not sure he needs to worry about that. If he is batting at 5 and bowling a bit that is not a true allrounder but it is something valuable for the team.

Cummins at his age had a lay off for like 5 years due to the same issues, it may just be a matter of time for Green. He is good enough with the bat to play anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back