Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

CA has confirmed Carey will keep in the 1st Test. Why you wouldn't announce it at the toss to make England have to split their planning between Inglis and Carey I don't know but good luck to him. Hope he kills it.

Lol how can you pick Inglis when he hasn’t played any cricket. You set him up to fail. He is a victim of circumstance and it’s unfortunate for him but thats how the cards landed
To be fair, Carey has played cricket, and has looked awful. That and we should be picking our best gloveman. This selection is based on it being “his turn” rather than any sort of form warranting his spot in the side. I just have a feeling he’s going to struggle with the bat and he won’t have his gloves to fall back on. Another Matthew Wade. We should really be looking to the future here and backing in a long term prospect. I know it’s a different format but surely if you’ve been around the national squad already you’re next in line, regardless of how much cricket you’ve played.

To be fair, Carey has played cricket, and has looked awful. That and we should be picking our best gloveman. This selection is based on it being “his turn” rather than any sort of form warranting his spot in the side. I just have a feeling he’s going to struggle with the bat and he won’t have his gloves to fall back on. Another Matthew Wade. We should really be looking to the future here and backing in a long term prospect. I know it’s a different format but surely if you’ve been around the national squad already you’re next in line, regardless of how much cricket you’ve played.
Carey is better than Wade, also if Inglis has a strong back half to the shield season and Carey doesn’t perform he can replace him

To be fair batting 7 in a strong side is easier than batting 5 in a weak team.

I feel the selectors would have gone with Inglis if Carey didn’t make that 100. While it was a 50 over game runs are still runs

Carey is better than Wade, also if Inglis has a strong back half to the shield season and Carey doesn’t perform he can replace him

To be fair batting 7 in a strong side is easier than batting 5 in a weak team.

I feel the selectors would have gone with Inglis if Carey didn’t make that 100. While it was a 50 over game runs are still runs
Inglis won’t get a look in now. They’ll back in their selection until the end of time and we’ll be doing all this again in 4-5 years regardless of how Carey actually performs. If there were no other options I wouldn’t be fussed but we’ve got a genuine 10+ year option who is very tidy with the gloves and more than capable with the bat. Carey is being picked because he was supposed to get the nod back when Paine took over and the selectors are thinking he’s the second coming of Gilly.

If Carey was banging the door down in the shield like Wade was a few years ago you could understand the selection. Pick a bloke in form because we want to win this series. But Carey is ageing, shaky with the gloves, and out of form with the bat. I’d have just liked to have seen some new blood rather than a 30 year old who isn’t definitively better than the 25 year old bloke that can actually keep.

Inglis won’t get a look in now. They’ll back in their selection until the end of time and we’ll be doing all this again in 4-5 years regardless of how Carey actually performs. If there were no other options I wouldn’t be fussed but we’ve got a genuine 10+ year option who is very tidy with the gloves and more than capable with the bat. Carey is being picked because he was supposed to get the nod back when Paine took over and the selectors are thinking he’s the second coming of Gilly.

If Carey was banging the door down in the shield like Wade was a few years ago you could understand the selection. Pick a bloke in form because we want to win this series. But Carey is ageing, shaky with the gloves, and out of form with the bat. I’d have just liked to have seen some new blood rather than a 30 year old who isn’t definitively better than the 25 year old bloke that can actually keep.
Shaky with the Gloves? What have you been watching? Carey is as clean as anyone behind the stumps.

It’s premature to call Inglis a 10+ year option. He had a good season last year but let’s not get ahead of ourselves

lol.
Its amazing the differences in opiniong

Ok ive been sitting here reading these comments laughing but now time to comment myself. Maybe I am biased but I dont get it. Carey is a gun keeper who let a few chances go in a world cup yonks ago. A world cup mind you where he was named as WK in the side of the tournament. He is just a good a keeper as Inglis and a much better batsman. Inglis will get his chance but right now its Careys turn. He has earnt the right to be next in line.
You're correct, you are biased.

Carey is an average keeper who is an excellent bat at FC level. Similar to someone like Jimmy Peirson. Inglis is a significantly better keeper.

For people who need some reminding

You're correct, you are biased.

Carey is an average keeper who is an excellent bat at FC level. Similar to someone like Jimmy Peirson. Inglis is a significantly better keeper.
Nope no way is Inglis significantly better. You dont get as many dismissals as Carey has by being Average. Also keeps to Rashid Khan in the Big Bash.

It’s premature to call Inglis a 10+ year option. He had a good season last year but let’s not get ahead of ourselves
Potential 10 year option* The difference is you can back in a 25 year old if he doesn’t quite nail it from the get go. If Carey comes out and stinks it up (on current form, a very real possibility) then you’ve really got nowhere to go. You can’t drop him immediately but he’s also not getting any younger, so you end up in this limbo again for the next 3-4 years.

Same as Paine, obviously he was captain so different scenarios, but I highly doubt they would have dropped him regardless. Australian wicketkeepers play until they retire, regardless of form. Which is why I’m worried for this selection long term.

Nope no way is Inglis significantly better. You dont get as many dismissals as Carey has by being Average. Also keeps to Rashid Khan in the Big Bash.
Take the Redbacks glasses off.

This is like when Victorians (including myself) defended Wade's keeping because at the time he had the second most dismissals in a Shield season. Having a lot of dismissals when keeping back to the likes of Sayers and co doesn't mean you're a good keeper.

And yeah, he keeps to Rashid Khan for 4 overs a game. Means sweet FA in terms of test cricket.

I'd also point out that I'm an unbiased observer in this regard. I don't support Australia in test cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big bash is an entirely different game. One **** up in a test can cost you big time. Big bash it hurts if you miss a dismissal but it’s not necessarily the end of the world. In a test match you get limited opportunities and your keeper is expected to take 100% of his otherwise he’s not doing his job. You don’t want to notice your keeper at all.

Potential 10 year option* The difference is you can back in a 25 year old if he doesn’t quite nail it from the get go. If Carey comes out and stinks it up (on current form, a very real possibility) then you’ve really got nowhere to go. You can’t drop him immediately but he’s also not getting any younger, so you end up in this limbo again for the next 3-4 years.

Same as Paine, obviously he was captain so different scenarios, but I highly doubt they would have dropped him regardless. Australian wicketkeepers play until they retire, regardless of form. Which is why I’m worried for this selection long term.
Mate if he plays the ashes and plays poorly can can most definitely drop him. 5 tests is a decent time to give someone

Mitchell Starc has been ranked in the top ten bowlers in test cricket for the last seven years or so. He has the odd bad game, but overall his record has extremely good fort a long time.

View attachment 1290650
He’s struggled a bit recently in all formats. 12 months ago if you said he should be dropped I’d have said you were crazy, now, reckon he needs to get off to a flyer at The Gabba - speed is down, not swinging it much, wrong side of 30.

How does he go from in a national test squad to not even making the A squad though? Should be in there before Mitch Marsh and others who don’t have the body of work he has over the last few years
34 year old who hasn’t played much this year and been poor when he has played, also been pretty underwhelming in his international career to date as well.

Neville?

We had two great keepers in Gilly and Haddin so they were always staying in until they retired. After that we were happy to give Neville the boot and Paine has only been a walk up because our keeping stocks have been poor.

If we had a keeper that was solid with the gloves and great with the bat Paine would have been given the tap on the shoulder.

Could not have worded that any better
I like him and remember thinking he was going to be the next big thing years ago but it just never happened, he would be a very uninspiring pick. Would rather persist with Head, Usman or Wade to be honest

I’m sorry how much of both have you watched? Especially in the shield?

Inglis >>>>>> Carey with the gloves

Your weird death riding of Harris aside, do you reckon England will line up with Broad and Anderson for the 1st test? They might as well just go home now if they do.

They should if Broad doesn’t play Warner should send England a Christmas cake! Anderson is still their best quick.

My point about Henriques is that since being dropped from the Test side he has performed well in the Shield which is evident by his selection for the South African tour. Now all of a sudden with barely any red ball cricket played between he isn’t even selected in the A side 🤷‍♂️ I’m not saying he should be in the Test squad but he has earnt his chance to push for selection via the A side for this series

My point about Henriques is that since being dropped from the Test side he has performed well in the Shield which is evident by his selection for the South African tour. Now all of a sudden with barely any red ball cricket played between he isn’t even selected in the A side 🤷‍♂️ I’m not saying he should be in the Test squad but he has earnt his chance to push for selection via the A side for this series

He failed this summer for NSW. He’s old too. By all means sub continent pick him. Neither Marsh or him should be near a test squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashes 2021/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back