Ashley Hansen Plan B for Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

So mate, give us an answer. What do you want the club to do instead?
I personally dont Ray to slip through to the PSD and we get nothing for him.
Let's face it. Ray cost us pick 4, and if we get a 3rd rounder of something for him, we've essentially got nothing from our investment.

Mistakes happen. Sometimes you have to take it on the chin.

Ray for Hansen in a straight swap is a fairly reasonable trade. Both have

question marks, Hansen for injury and Ray for confidence/disposal. If

Hansen avoids further injury trouble I actually think the Bulldogs will come

out on top in this trade. Both are maligned but at their best can make a

decent contribution.

Hes a very well liked by the rest of the players and we are at a stage where we have invested too much into getting his body right to throw him away. Im not a fan of the hes crap cos in reality he hasnt been fit in a single one of his 67 games. If we can get him fit then we will see what hes like

We are best off keeping him around for the next 2 years and if all else fails use him as trade bait to the Gold Coast

What do you think GC17 will have to offer in return in 2011?

Keep Ray, if he'll stay. It's already Wednesday and not one deal through yet. It looks like a buyer's market this year. Ray is a Hold in a bear market.

Keep Ray, if he'll stay. It's already Wednesday and not one deal through yet. It looks like a buyer's market this year. Ray is a Hold in a bear market.

We cant keep him, he's contract is out and he wants to leave, and play less games then he did this year .....

Ray for Hansen in a straight swap is a fairly reasonable trade. Both have

question marks, Hansen for injury and Ray for confidence/disposal. If

Hansen avoids further injury trouble I actually think the Bulldogs will come

out on top in this trade. Both are maligned but at their best can make a

decent contribution.

Thats it a straight swap, definitely not worth paying out a draft pick on Hansen.

Lets remember even though he is 3 years older than Farren, Ashley Hansen has played 8 less career games than Farren.

Plus looking into the future to around season 2011, I expect there is a much higher chance of Farren Ray still running around playing AFL football than Ashley Hansen.

Realy is offering our second round pick #32 or 3rd pick #48 as well as Farren for a player who has never played every game in a season, who in the past 3 seasons failed to play more than 60% of the games, who's highest goal kicking return in a season has been 24 and has been under an injury cloud.....such a great thing to do or get tangled up with ?

Year .................Games ...Goals
2008 West Coast 13......... 11
2007 West Coast 14......... 22
2006 West Coast 14......... 17
2005 West Coast 20......... 24
2004 West Coast 6......... 7

Eagles getting Farren Ray for Ashley Hansen is a pretty big win for the Eagles in itself.

Thats it a straight swap, definitely not worth paying out a draft pick on Hansen.

Lets remember even though he is 3 years older than Farren, Ashley Hansen has played 8 less career games than Farren.

Plus looking into the future to around season 2011, I expect there is a much higher chance of Farren Ray still running around playing AFL football than Ashley Hansen.

Realy is offering our second round pick #32 or 3rd pick #48 as well as Farren for a player who has never played every game in a season, who in the past 3 seasons failed to play more than 60% of the games, who's highest goal kicking return in a season has been 24 and has been under an injury cloud.....such a great thing to do or get tangled up with ?

Year .................Games ...Goals
2008 West Coast 13......... 11
2007 West Coast 14......... 22
2006 West Coast 14......... 17
2005 West Coast 20......... 24
2004 West Coast 6......... 7

Eagles getting Farren Ray for Ashley Hansen is a pretty big win for the Eagles in itself.

Hmmm really starts making me think that Hansen might not be the man.
If we have another Williams in the team we have 2 players with a heap of talent that just sit in the medical room the whole time.

Maybe we are going down the wrong track.

If it doesn't work out up forward with him and he goes back in defence (where he has been playing a fair bit for West Coast), does he realy offer us anything thing more than Cam Wight does back there ?

Hansen fits, is Victorian and is very similar to the guy we really wanted in McKinley. He can play from the square as a lead up forward and at CHF. Remember that we need someone who can kick 30+ goals but be involved in a lot of play. Look at the list of guys we should expect to kick 20 + goals next year

Welsh, Hahn, Murphy, Aker, Gia, Cooney, Johnno, Harbrow etc. We don't need a guy to kick 60 goals, we need someone to give us structure. Mooney and Johnson provided more assists than anyone in the comp.

If it doesn't work out up forward with him and he goes back in defence (where he has been playing a fair bit for West Coast), does he realy offer us anything thing more than Cam Wight does back there ?

Are you serious?

I would prefer Hansen over both Wight and Ray any day.

Ray is a midfielder who can run but has shocking disposal, Hansen is a tall lead-up forward, who if he stays on the park could be very handy for us.

Are you serious?

I would prefer Hansen over both Wight and Ray any day.

Ray is a midfielder who can run but has shocking disposal, Hansen is a tall lead-up forward, who if he stays on the park could be very handy for us.

Where did I mention Ray in that ?

I said a swap for Ray should be enough for him, nothing else no extra picks or upgrades !

I'd prefer a player who is not bringing a history of injury to the club.

I would also prefer more heavily built forward than the more lightly built Hansen.

I explained clearly in the post if he doesn't work out up forward and goes back in defence he does not offer much more than Cam.

I never said Cam was as good as him up forward.

Hansen fits, is Victorian and is very similar to the guy we really wanted in McKinley.
Why would we want a 184cm leading forward? We have plenty of mid-sized forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did I mention Ray in that ?

I said a swap for Ray should be enough for him, nothing else no extra picks or upgrades !

I'd prefer a player who is not bringing a history of injury to the club.

I would also prefer more heavily built forward than the more lightly built Hansen.

I explained clearly in the post if he doesn't work out up forward and goes back in defence he does not offer much more than Cam.

I never said Cam was as good as him up forward.

I would prefer Buddy Franklin, but it ain't gonna happen.

Forget about his injuries, do you want to put up with another year of crap football from Ray? I don't.

If it's Ray for Hansen, I am more than happy with that.

Forget about his injuries, do you want to put up with another year of crap football from Ray? I don't.

If it's Ray for Hansen, I am more than happy with that.

Thats what I said (Ray for Hansen)

But I also said he is not worth parting with a draft pick or upgrading an Eagles draft pick for him.

Id happily let Ray go into the PSD, instead of take one up the backside in a crap trade. It at least makes a statement that we arent to be F*#ed with when it comes to trades. I like what Port did with Stevens. Stand firm. Ray's a piece of crap anyway so getting nothing for him is about right to be honest.

Id happily let Ray go into the PSD, instead of take one up the backside in a crap trade. It at least makes a statement that we arent to be F*#ed with when it comes to trades. I like what Port did with Stevens. Stand firm. Ray's a piece of crap anyway so getting nothing for him is about right to be honest.

Just so people are aware, the rules regarding uncontracted players has changed & as of this year they are also free to nominate (with a price attached) for the National Draft.

Claims of 'let's send him off into the PSD' are now no longer meaningful as the uncontracted player will now more than likely end up at his preferred club.

Just so people are aware, the rules regarding uncontracted players has changed & as of this year they are also free to nominate (with a price attached) for the National Draft.

Claims of 'let's send him off into the PSD' are now no longer meaningful as the uncontracted player will now more than likely end up at his preferred club.

I would have thought that nominating for the National Draft would make it less likely he would get to the club of his choice.

Saying he was expected to go 2nd or 3rd round

Scenario 1: The selection comes around to the team he thinks will take him, but they change their mind because a player they thought would be already taken is available.

Scenario 2: Another club sneaks in and picks him before the one he thought has their pick.

Any club he talks with can break any agreement to pick him at any stage, and any club can pick him up ahead of them.

This is not the same as nominating a father/son like with Ayce Cordy and having a unbinding commitment.

Every club will know how much he wants to be paid, since that needs to be declared prior to the draft.

I would have thought that nominating for the National Draft would make it less likely he would get to the club of his choice.

Saying he was expected to go 2nd or 3rd round

Scenario 1: The selection comes around to the team he thinks will take him, but they change their mind because a player they thought would be already taken is available.

Scenario 2: Another club sneaks in and picks him before the one he thought has their pick.

Any club he talks with can break any agreement to pick him at any stage, and any club can pick him up ahead of them.

This is not the same as nominating a father/son like with Ayce Cordy and having a unbinding commitment.

Every club will know how much he wants to be paid, since that needs to be declared prior to the draft.

Clubs will be put off by outrageous figures.

What's to stop a player pricing 600K on his head? Everyone baulks, club of choice takes him. Contracted for 3 years, totalling 900K.

First year 600, then 150 & 150. Sure 600 goes into the cap the first year, but it's offset by the lower salary for the next 2 years.

Clubs will be put off by outrageous figures.

What's to stop a player pricing 600K on his head? Everyone baulks, club of choice takes him. Contracted for 3 years, totalling 900K.

First year 600, then 150 & 150. Sure 600 goes into the cap the first year, but it's offset by the lower salary for the next 2 years.

Considering the AFL audits the clubs salary caps, do you realy think they are going to be that stupid not to audit that ? ;)

Considering the AFL audits the clubs salary caps, do you realy think they are going to be that stupid not to audit that ? ;)
What's illegal about it?

It's 'front end loading' a contract as opposed to the 'back ending' we often see, particularly when someone's final season of a contract is as a veteran where only 1/2 gets included in the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashley Hansen Plan B for Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back