Review Sam Darcy and the Bulldogs maul the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

You can be assured recruiters will go back and look at his tapes again. Diamond in the rough.
My favourite player after Bont and Libba. McRae cannot be dropped. In a year or two he can be moved to the midfield. Watch out Curnow and Bont. This guy be just as good if not better.

MUST WIN AGAINST GWS!!!

North are so far off it isn’t funny.

Also Vanders needs to stop roughing up blokes like he is a member of unsociable Hawks, zero runs on the board to be scragging guys when they are lying on the ground. Also before the first bounce he was getting into McKercher only for Colby to beat him to the first loose ball by about 5m.

LDU, Simpkin etc have been in the system long enough now. Not saying they’re bad, but they’re overrated internally.
LDU overrated externally too. 30 disposals today and had minimal impact - only 283 metres gained and 2 score involvements from all those touches.

I don’t think many rate Simpkin though, North just don’t have quality players 25+ outside of Larkey/Xerri.

No need to drop anyone unless English is back. In which case Khamis on balance goes out I suspect. Tough on him as he fought back to have a decent game after a poor start.
McRae over Gallagher any day. Too young and poor skills. Not sold on Caleb. Good teams always expose his height. English plays, Lobb back. JOD is better tha. Khamis. In finals Caleb and Bukhu are liabilities. Bukhu may be a sub. Do we play better without English? Just a question.

Last edited:
LDU overrated externally too. 30 disposals today and had minimal impact - only 283 metres gained and 2 score involvements from all those touches.

I don’t think many rate Simpkin though, North just don’t have quality players 25+ outside of Larkey/Xerri.

I posted in the "darnedest" quotes thread, but one Norfie stated LDU is a better player than Liber and Treloar. I believe it was a serious post, too!

Think David Rodan signalled Darcy's first 6 goals. And his smile looked bigger every time he held up the 2 fingers.
Just quietly they need to use him more as a marketing feature - possibly one of the few (only?) likeable umpires! 😄

Can anyone else in the league play forward, ruck and defence at the drop of a hat? I can’t believe I’m sharing this but Rory Lobb is so valuable.

Oh and how good was Ed Richards. I feel like he hasn't quite hit his ceiling yet.

Bont was frustrated today. Think he's pissed at where this team is at -fighting for a spot in the 8. He also can't be pleased with how the opposition get away with murder on him every game. The amount of times he is blatantly held or had his arms chopped without a free, combined with teammates who just aren't switched on enough, would drive anyone mad.

Bont was frustrated today. Think he's pissed at where this team is at -fighting for a spot in the 8. He also can't be pleased with how the opposition get away with murder on him every game. The amount of times he is blatantly held or had his arms chopped without a free, combined with teammates who just aren't switched on enough, would drive anyone mad.

One way for him to channel that anger and that's next Sunday at 12.30pm and beating the Plastics.

One point, 10 points a hundred points, whatever. We should be playing like we're possessed, it's all on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he has every right to be! We're a Top 4 team at our best and a damn well oiled one at at that. As we keep discussing, our spectacular inability to control our destiny and take our chances is alarming and will cost us big time once again.

However, It's amazing how often the Injury Luck pendulum has taken us out of games this year. Think losing Richards and Naughton against the Swans in round 11. They were both ripping up that game before they went out and would have been the difference. Circumstances like that were so common this season.

Last edited:
The eye test said he competed well in the ruck. The stats say it was 44-13 hitouts cherry's way. How they can accurately pick that is beyond me.
At one point in the last quarter the hitouts to advantage were 13-0 in North’s favour. Despite not winning a single HTO, we were comfortably winning the clearances and dominating the centre clearances.

It does go to show how useless the raw hitout stats are.

North are so far off it isn’t funny.

Also Vanders needs to stop roughing up blokes like he is a member of unsociable Hawks, zero runs on the board to be scragging guys when they are lying on the ground. Also before the first bounce he was getting into McKercher only for Colby to beat him to the first loose ball by about 5m.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I understand where you’re coming from but we’ve been too nice for way too long.

You need a few shitheads in your team to play on the edge. It’s one thing I actually like about VDM is that he gets into the opposition.

So was your eyesight 😜
I could say the same about you. The only matrix that he has some quality is running related.
I checked AFL tracker and he and Bramble are clearly our best runners on effort and repeat sprints. Strangely Caleb Daniel was the highest rated player with distance covered in sprint.
But back to VDM, apart from his undoubted endurance and running effort, what else does he offer?
There’s not a game where he doesn’t do something selfish. It was on show a couple of weeks ago with his disregard of Richard’s on wing. The exact same thing happened yesterday in the last quarter with a dump kick instead of an easy over the top to Bont.
If it’s not selfish, then it’s a lack of awareness.
I feel Bevo wants him to be a Mcreary type, but he just doesn’t have the skills to do that nor the tackling power.
He did deliver a couple of nice kicks inside 50 but that should be the norm not a bonus.
The fact he has 1 goal since round 10 is telling. The fact he scored it today from a 50/50 free kick and an unmissable range against bad opposition should put it in perspective.

Quite amusing listening to Clarke yesterday talking as though North are in this situation with their list due to bad luck or something. The reason they don’t have any leadership is because they gutted their list in one offseason rather than a more strategic list balance process like other clubs. Not even the AFL rescue packages can make up for ineptitude.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. I understand where you’re coming from but we’ve been too nice for way too long.

You need a few shitheads in your team to play on the edge. It’s one thing I actually like about VDM is that he gets into the opposition.
VDM’s is all fake tough stuff though, like that example with McKercher, banging and pushing him before the first bounce yet he gets absolutely burnt by 5m at the first contest.

VDM’s is all fake tough stuff though, like that example with McKercher, banging and pushing him before the first bounce yet he gets absolutely burnt by 5m at the first contest.
Fake tough is when a player pulls out of a contest.

I can not recall a single time that VDM has done that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Sam Darcy and the Bulldogs maul the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back