Review Sam Darcy and the Bulldogs maul the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

The only reason to have a Social Club Membership is to gain access to Grand Final tickets. Other than that it's a complete waste of money. Even though I haven't been to a game in 4 years. Im quite happy to pay that premium for two SC memberships something that Ive done for 15 years because it payed out handsomely in 2016 and all things being equal could've done so again in 2021.
Same. I’m an interstate member and I have Social Club as an add on - just in case 😉. Hey, it paid off last time 😀.

Happy to keep Buku on the list -- at 24, he still has scope, particularly if he is played in defence and kept there (in the VFL too)

But JOD at 197cm and 20yo is arguably ahead of him already and has much more scope.

Preferring Lobb, Jones and JOD at this point even for our run to the finals.
Buku stays for sure even if intended purely as depth for a year.

I'm calling it. Sam is a better footballer than Luke. He moves better. He has better kicking and marking skills and he also has a higher football IQ.

I would not be unhappy if he ends up as our Paul Salmon, given the struggles we've had over the decades to get a KPF who can bag goals.

I'm calling it. Sam is a better footballer than Luke. He moves better. He has better kicking and marking skills and he also has a higher football IQ.

I would not be unhappy if he ends up as our Paul Salmon, given the struggles we've had over the decades to get a KPF who can bag goals.
He's definitely better than Luke at the same stage of their careers.

Luke still had a few doubters in season 5.

Not sure anyone doubts Sam, who's in year 3.

He's definitely better than Luke at the same stage of their careers.

Luke still had a few doubters in season 5.

Not sure anyone doubts Sam, who's in year 3.
At his peak Luke was a brilliant player, so much so that he won the AFLPA MVP award. In saying that, Sam is well on track to eclipse him as a player, particularly over a longer period.

At his peak Luke was a brilliant player, so much so that he won the AFLPA MVP award. In saying that, Sam is well on track to eclipse him as a player, particularly over a longer period.
It's kind of wild how individually good seasons when not at a top club + in seasons where the team didn't make finals = it's forgotten how good they were at least over a season or two.

Very occasionally when I'm bored I look over some of Mike Sheahan's Top 50. At the time not everyone agreed with it (obviously) but even accepting that, and assuming it's at least somewhat accurate, it's really interesting to see who has been forgotten as a good player when they were considered good at the time: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/t...-/news-story/1fbed4ce7b631742441e5f0a817383ab

E.g.
Nigel Lappin number 4 2004
Adam Hunter number 19 2006
Hamish McIntosh number 27 2007
Max Hudgton number 23 2008

All of whom I remember being good players, just not ever at that level.

It's kind of wild how individually good seasons when not at a top club + in seasons where the team didn't make finals = it's forgotten how good they were at least over a season or two.

Very occasionally when I'm bored I look over some of Mike Sheahan's Top 50. At the time not everyone agreed with it (obviously) but even accepting that, and assuming it's at least somewhat accurate, it's really interesting to see who has been forgotten as a good player when they were considered good at the time: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/t...-/news-story/1fbed4ce7b631742441e5f0a817383ab

E.g.
Nigel Lappin number 4 2004
Adam Hunter number 19 2006
Hamish McIntosh number 27 2007
Max Hudgton number 23 2008

All of whom I remember being good players, just not ever at that level.
Agree on your larger point. The Adam Hunter one is an absolute joke though. He wouldn’t have been in the top 80 players in the league let alone 19th

Agree on your larger point. The Adam Hunter one is an absolute joke though. He wouldn’t have been in the top 80 players in the league let alone 19th
If I recall correctly Adam Hunter was the ultimate swing man in that period and a massive reason the Eagles won the flag in 2016, 19th fine for me.

I reckon now that the Bulldogs have signed Tim English long-term, the focus should be on developing the chemistry between Ugle-Hagan and Sam Darcy in the forward line. It will be a nightmare for opposition teams to have defend the three towers in : Naughton, JUH and Sam Darcy. With Sam Darcy a tough prospect and often getting the 3rd best defender. His size at 205 cm means he is a tough prospect.

He needs to probably develop a bit more muscle to his game and I'd imagine he would be impossible match up.

I reckon now that the Bulldogs have signed Tim English long-term, the focus should be on developing the chemistry between Ugle-Hagan and Sam Darcy in the forward line. It will be a nightmare for opposition teams to have defend the three towers in : Naughton, JUH and Sam Darcy. With Sam Darcy a tough prospect and often getting the 3rd best defender. His size at 205 cm means he is a tough prospect.

He needs to probably develop a bit more muscle to his game and I'd imagine he would be impossible match up.
It does feel as if Naughton pushing up the ground, Jamarra roaming the 50m arc and Darcy being the deepest threat is the way we are going.

Nobody is exactly sure how tall Darcy is, but he's definitely more than 205cm (208-212 seems the range).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I think that we've already addressed this balance; Naughton roams further up the ground and Jamarra hangs around just outside or inside 50. Darcy then is the deepest threat. It means that Naughton doesn't hit the scoreboard as much but he's up there with the league leaders in terms of score involvements for key position players.

Honestly I think that we've already addressed this balance; Naughton roams further up the ground and Jamarra hangs around just outside or inside 50. Darcy then is the deepest threat. It means that Naughton doesn't hit the scoreboard as much but he's up there with the league leaders in terms of score involvements for key position players.

And Naughton is still good for a couple of goals a game. Whilst being that connector.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Sam Darcy and the Bulldogs maul the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back