Ashley Sampi Vs Liam Ryan

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

rant

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Very similar players to compare in my eyes. Ashley Sampi probably the reason that WCE were hesitant in high draft pick for small forward until Liam Ryan.

- Both Indigenous
- Both Small Forwards
- Both Good Marks for height
- Both have speed and crumb
- Both have issues off field

Good comparison over time and wonder who will be better at the end of their career. Liam Ryan to me seems a little smarter. Breaks the lines more frequently. Don't have the stats but good to compare vertical jump, speed and agility between the two.

It's sad that for such a long time it pretty clearly looked like we gave the indegoinous players a wide berth, for whatever reason.

Our team is much better balanced with their skill set for the last few years.

Such a breath of fresh air with Ryan and rioli. Such un-eagles like for the past decade. Great to watch. Just have to keep Ryan on the straight and narrow, not just for footy but for him.

Other than the position they play/played and their ethnicity, they are very different players. Sampi was a lot harder, Ryan faster.

Harder = Fatter but from a role point of view their are both the same. Sampi speedy despite the extra weight. Rioli is half forward and a different player.

Hard to compare different eras but I don't think Sampi would make it to the AFL now whereas Ryan could have gone back and slotted in. Also yeah Sampi was fat. Club culture is probably more conducive to integrating players now compared with back in early 2000s. E.g. can't see someone like that slotting in in 2006 and playing every game when available in a premiership year.

Interesting to see Sheed (or possibly Cripps?) say after the game that he thought Ryan needed a couple more years before he hits his peak.

Very similar players to compare in my eyes. Ashley Sampi probably the reason that WCE were hesitant in high draft pick for small forward until Liam Ryan.

- Both Indigenous
- Both Small Forwards
- Both Good Marks for height
- Both have speed and crumb
- Both have issues off field

Good comparison over time and wonder who will be better at the end of their career. Liam Ryan to me seems a little smarter. Breaks the lines more frequently. Don't have the stats but good to compare vertical jump, speed and agility between the two.
Don't think they are that similar, for example Ryan plays a very different role for WC.

He was a goal kicker early when first settling into the team, but has taken over as our number 1 pressure forward. You saw that today and also in the GF, when he helped Hutchings do a job on Sidebottom.

It's his workrate when he is switched on that stands out. Yes he has some athletic gifts, yes he has had some small off-field drama and I think professionalism and effort on the track is always going to be his area to watch, but when he plays well, it's his running up the ground, pressure acts and a growing team first attitude that are his best traits. Seems to be really digging in to an unselfish role, happy to bring others into the game, great repeat sprints like Rioli and Cripps, when grinding it out and can lift if it's demanded. Also, despite the preseason hubbub is in pretty decent physical shape. Sampi however truly was mercurial, was only an attacking option and sadly just had huge and difficult personal troubles, in a time when clubs didn't really know how to handle mental health challenges. As long as Ryan's attitude stays right and he keeps improving, he could become quite a complete forward.

Sampi is probably still one of the most talented footballers I’ve ever seen. I can still remember his goal v the bulldogs in round 1 2004 which won us the game, or a game in the wet v North (same year, I think) where he was just a class above with his ball handling.

To say he didn’t have the work ethic is probably unfair, adjusting to an AFL environment isn’t for everyone. Would have loved to have seen him take that step and fulfill his natural talent.

In that respect, I believe Sampi was the more naturally talented- but Ryan is no slouch there either. So has an excellent opportunity to be something really special. If he’s prepared to work hard and dedicate himself to the life of an AFL footballer then I believe he will end up in the top echelon of footballers to have graced this wonderful club. He’s got the talent.

Hard to compare different eras but I don't think Sampi would make it to the AFL now whereas Ryan could have gone back and slotted in. Also yeah Sampi was fat. Club culture is probably more conducive to integrating players now compared with back in early 2000s. E.g. can't see someone like that slotting in in 2006 and playing every game when available in a premiership year.

Interesting to see Sheed (or possibly Cripps?) say after the game that he thought Ryan needed a couple more years before he hits his peak.
Ryan is playing a defensive role and really building that side of his game.

We know he can do the flashy stuff and we also know he is becoming pretty unselfish in attack. What he has shown is an interest to learn and adapt. Defensive footy was not his forte, he is now building on that. He loved to jump for every mark and attack every ground ball, what we see now is he is a guy kicking it to players in better position or making space.

The improvement comes, when that is second nature and the attack and defence happen together seamlessly. If he keeps working, he will be a very good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not racist to compare two indigenous forward pocket players with great leaps who played for the same team. It might be a stretch but it's not racist. Stop being so idiotic. I struggle to think of a non-indigenous small forward with a similar leap (Howe, R. Robertson) or acceleration (none come to mind immediately).

In saying that though, they're very different players physically. Sampi was a lot more solid and imo more like Rioli in the sense that his outstanding feature is/was his skillset.

Ryan has the football smarts (one on one ability, nous in congestion), amazing athleticism (leap, acceleration, agility) and very clean hands.

Rioli and Sampi are/were less athletic but more talented by foot. Both probably stronger over the ball as well just due to their frame size.

Sampi was amazing, the most skillful player I've seen and had the athleticism. Unfortunately he just played in the wrong era with little support. He barely missed a shot at goal, something Ryan has a little work to do on.

having Jetta around has been huge IMO. The influence he's had on the other indigenous boys seems to be massive atm. One day it will be Rioli and Ryan that will take over and nurture the young indigenous boys.

The same thing happened in Adelaide with Betts and the younger indigenous boys but I think they had a huge internal cultural problem overall.

It's sad that for such a long time it pretty clearly looked like we gave the indegoinous players a wide berth, for whatever reason.

Our team is much better balanced with their skill set for the last few years.

I'd say aboriginal players were fairly well represented by West Coast compared to other clubs.

Ryan will end up taking one better than Sampi. Atm it's hard with our forward structure and with JD/JK

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashley Sampi Vs Liam Ryan

Back