Ask An Expert: Draftee Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

McKenzie is not a natural inside footballer but can be developed. More suited to outside runner that uses the ball in an elite manner and 60 metres in his natural length. Leg speed is slow but he is not he is a long striding lopper would be worthy of 15 pick or lower in the draft had a good under 18 championship.

I've watched 95% of Stingrays matches this season, and about 5 Power and various other teams that have faced Dandenong throughout the year.

Ask me anything and I'll see if I can answer.

From the questions already posted;

In the Stingrays v Western Jets match, Charleston was everywhere. Gut-running through the midfield and probably had 30-35 touches - most of which effective.

QLD v Stingrays earlier in the season was dominated by QLD's talls Kolka, Cabrera and Thurlow. Yagmoor and Sexton were also extremely impressive. Thurlow played from CHF from memory and grasped most things that came his way.

Elton has mixed form leading into the finals, but was back to his best against the Pioneers, with three goals, 20ish taps and eight contested marks. Talk what you will of beating the spooners, but he showed there is extreme talent within him.
For the other rucks, Cameron Tudor of the Falcons has continually impressed me in the 2-3 games of his I've seen, as did Jai Sheahan. Cope and Longer are easily 1/2 for the best rucks, but Elton could close the gap with a good finals campaign.

Power's Danny Butcher is a great running mid, but needs to go in for his own ball more. Not sure about this year's draft.

What are people's thoughts for the Morrish Medal? Tyson, Hoskin-Elliott, Buntine and for a smokey someone like Shaun Wyatt would be a good bet. Longer, Boseley and Haynes could also do well from the taller side of the ledger.

The upside of Witts is that a lot of scouts / recruiters view him not as a ruckman, but a KPP. He has kicked 2, 3 & 2 goals in 3 VFL games. His ruckwork isn't viewed as his major strength, they view his contested marking as his number 1 trait.

Not sure that's a positive. I don't think a 209cm FF would work.

Any more info from St.Pats watchers on Tom Downie?

How good is he and where do you think he'll fall? Is he more of a speculative Rookie at this stage or second rounder etc?

Any more info from St.Pats watchers on Tom Downie?

How good is he and where do you think he'll fall? Is he more of a speculative Rookie at this stage or second rounder etc?

He should go late first round, early second. Can't see him slipping past that though.

Strengths are he is 203 cm but moves like a 180cm bloke. Ground level work is a grade as is his tap work (ground level work is better though). Fact that his basketball also helps him get drafted higher. Behind Longer he will be the best ruckmen from the draft.

Could someone tell me a bit about Brad Crouch? Also, how good is he in comparison to O'Meara? Roughly, where would both go in this year

Omeara would be top 3, Crouch top 5. Omeara is more like a Trent Corhin type, but can be inconsistent. Crouch is IMO a better prospect, when he plays HBF he reminds me of a Heath Scotland type and when he goes in te midfield he plays like a Matthew Boyd but a much better decision maker/kick. IMO he is more flexible and more consistent than Omeara.

He should go late first round, early second. Can't see him slipping past that though.

Strengths are he is 203 cm but moves like a 180cm bloke. Ground level work is a grade as is his tap work (ground level work is better though). Fact that his basketball also helps him get drafted higher. Behind Longer he will be the best ruckmen from the draft.

Thanks mate, very keen to see who pulls the trigger on the kid.

can anyone give me a little bit of information on Brodie Grundy (SA)?

I watched him play against WA and thought he looked like a future Mumford the way he dominated the ruck then played like a midfielder at ground level.

I ask because i wouldnt be surprised if Richmond target a pick in the mini draft to get him, on that basis which pick do people think he would go in an uncompromised draft next year?

There is a young kid on the Gold Coast by name of Mitch Brewer who plays for Broadbeach, an absolute monster of a 19yr old, 204cm and 110kgs ruckman has had a lot of interest from Collingwood where he has family ties and also Vossy has been at a few of Broadbeach's games specifically to look at this guy.Played a couple of blinders apparently late in the season in the Eastcoast league or whatever they call it (they play against NT teams as well,...the new major league comp up there) He plays with a lot of aggresion apparently which would be a daunting prospect given the size of the kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone tell me about Mitch Brewer and Ben Brown.

Mitch Brewer is 19 playing his fourth year AFL has rugby basketball background played junior football 16-18s for coolangatta played last year gold coast stingrays. he is a monster loves body contact good kick and good below his knees for a 204 cm giant played last 12 games for broad beach seniors and got better with every game.

Mitch Brewer is 19 playing his fourth year AFL has rugby basketball background played junior football 16-18s for coolangatta played last year gold coast stingrays. he is a monster loves body contact good kick and good below his knees for a 204 cm giant played last 12 games for broad beach seniors and got better with every game.
Yes, but did he have fun?

Yeah has some pedigree, his dad was a slim fleet footed indigenous wingman known for his blistering pace in the mould of Aron Davey or Cyril Rioli .Could've been a star but chose to do triathalons and marathon running instead.

Yeah has some pedigree, his dad was a slim fleet footed indigenous wingman known for his blistering pace in the mould of Aron Davey or Cyril Rioli .Could've been a star but chose to do triathalons and marathon running instead.
im not sure he was that quick he could stop well.

Can anyone tell me about Mitch Brewer and Ben Brown.

Overall Brown had a great season, when you consider he had to limit his games with the Mariners and Glenorchy due to recovery from a knee reconstruction and OP problems. This would obviously impact on performance due to the inability to get onto the park every week.

How the various AFL clubs view him will be interesting. My thoughts are that a rookie spot may be offered to see how his body copes with the rigours of AFL football.

Hoping he at least gets picked up and can show his talent on the field.

Question , Eagles are speaking and interested in Swan Districts midfielder Murray Newman , played 18s for WA this season . Would Newman be a first round or second round pick , I know he likes a goal and is he an indiigenous player ?????

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask An Expert: Draftee Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back