Ask An Expert: Draftee Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Question , Eagles are speaking and interested in Swan Districts midfielder Murray Newman , played 18s for WA this season . Would Newman be a first round or second round pick , I know he likes a goal and is he an indiigenous player ?????

I like Newman. Very impressive midfielder/small forward. Good at finding time and space, and isn't afraid to throw his small frame around. Generally pretty clean even at full pace.

Can imagine him being one of those types who would perhaps go between the Eagles' first and second round picks. Don't know whether you'd try your luck, or bite the bullet and use your first on him.

That's just me though. He's one of my favourites, impresses me every time I've seen him play. But others rate him considerably lower.

Any more information about this supposed hidden gem from Western Australia named Waylon Manson.
From the little i have found so far he is a 195cm KPF with an Aboriginal background. Played some WAFL reserves or colts games?
Any further info, video footage etc...has anyone seen him play, how he plays, know him or have an idea about where he would fall in the draft.
Also which club/s have been keeping him 'hidden'.

How good are the GWS 17yr olds? Now this question has its own thread, but if you read it you will find it is slightly off track. What I would like to know is if O'Meara goes first, and Crouch goes 2nd, who would go 3rd if GWS decided to let 3 go this year?

I dont think Crouch is a lock for pick 2. Very good player and certainly in the top 3 or 4. The other two in the mix are Grundy & Kennedy from SA. it will depend on clubs needs. Grundy is an exciting prospect 200cm ruckman with great agility. Kennedy rover/goal sneak.

Question: Did Micheal Talia nominate for last years draft? seem to remember his name popping up and i think i saw a draft profile of him on the AFL website last year.

On to the thing i really want to know, if he did nominate for last years draft somehow, would it be possible for GWS to prelist him and ontrade him to another club, say the bulldogs :)D) who he said he is deeply passionate about, or even keep him for themselves, thus getting him for nothing?

if I am wrong, please feel free to shoot my dreams down in flames, as i have a sneaky suspicion he may have only nominated for the Suns 17 year old thing? but does that make him eligable?

advice would be greatly appreciated :)

GWS already have listed a number of 17 year olds that would have been eligible for next months draft.

Reckon any of them would have gone early in the draft?

Where will Jordan Lockyer go in the draft?

I read he is 190 cm with good disposal, plays as a KPD. Sounds like the kind of player Hawthorn like.

Is this accurate? What more can you tell me about him?

Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a question in relation to the Pre-season draft. I was wondering if anyone has a link, or can explain in detail how the pre-season draft will work in 2012. When is it exactly? Who is eligible? What is the order of selection? How many picks do clubs get? etc etc etc...

(And yes I googled it, checked AFL.com but couldn't find anything)

Hi can anyone give me any more information on Sam Kerridge some threads have him like Judd could he play AFL football next year and as a Hawks supporter could he slot into our team next year if he was still in the draft at our first pick 33

I'd like to hear what people think about a Jordan Lockyer Vs Henry Schade comparison?

I've only seen as much video as I could find on both players. To me Lockyer looks like he'd be a safe bet and will be a solid AFL player but Schade seems to have something about him. Reminds me of Scarlett:eek:

Is it a risk vs reward type scenario or have I grossly overrated the potential in Schade from the videos?

I'd like to hear what people think about a Jordan Lockyer Vs Henry Schade comparison?

I've only seen as much video as I could find on both players. To me Lockyer looks like he'd be a safe bet and will be a solid AFL player but Schade seems to have something about him. Reminds me of Scarlett:eek:

Is it a risk vs reward type scenario or have I grossly overrated the potential in Schade from the videos?

Both good prospects who will be drafted, however they are different types of players who will be not be competing against each other.

Schade apparently has hit 196cm and most likely is still growing (DOB 8/10/1990 from AFL data). It seems to have gone unnoticed by most that this makes him the tallest U/18 key defender in the draft.

With his height, agility and a deadly left foot it's hard to imagine him not being high on at least 1 AFL's club radar.

While I openly admit spruiking the Tassie boys, Schade's results speak for themselves in the TAC, Carnival and North Hobart senior appearances this year.

Both good prospects who will be drafted, however they are different types of players who will be not be competing against each other.

Schade apparently has hit 196cm and most likely is still growing (DOB 8/10/1990 from AFL data). It seems to have gone unnoticed by most that this makes him the tallest U/18 key defender in the draft.

With his height, agility and a deadly left foot it's hard to imagine him not being high on at least 1 AFL's club radar.

While I openly admit spruiking the Tassie boys, Schade's results speak for themselves in the TAC, Carnival and North Hobart senior appearances this year.

196cm key defender? Deadly left foot? Tassie boy? Sounds like the kind of player one club would be all over.

Will he be there at pick 33?

196cm key defender? Deadly left foot? Tassie boy? Sounds like the kind of player one club would be all over.

Will he be there at pick 33?

Good question.

Schade has not had the hype of the rest of the Tassie boys (hope they all go !. Happy to chat about them as well), however I believe his upside is enormous.

Discussions to date indicate he is a round 2 draftee, however it would not suprise me if he was a round 1 pick up and the first Tassie boy to go.

At his height, skill level, decision making and hard at it attitude it will certainly attract interest from all clubs.

His record over the last 2 years has shown his ability to continually improve when taken to the next level.

We wll all be experts after November 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schade apparently has hit 196cm and most likely is still growing[/B] (DOB 8/10/1990 from AFL data).[/B] It seems to have gone unnoticed by most that this makes him the tallest U/18 key defender in the draft.

This would make him 3 years older than all the other draftees. Did he play in the U18 champs or is he a mature age prospect?

Re: 2011 Draft - Overrated and Underrated

THIS is nothing more than a query to people who are far better informed: is there any opinion at all of West Jets ruckman Dylan Jones? I'm not sure he's even eligible for the draft (don't think he's 18 yet) but just curious as to what sort of season he had; I know he was steady and was named several time sin the Jets' best through the year. Appreciate any information, cheers.

Re: 2011 Draft - Overrated and Underrated

THIS is nothing more than a query to people who are far better informed: is there any opinion at all of West Jets ruckman Dylan Jones? I'm not sure he's even eligible for the draft (don't think he's 18 yet) but just curious as to what sort of season he had; I know he was steady and was named several time sin the Jets' best through the year. Appreciate any information, cheers.

Jones is eligible. Turned 18 last month.

I know he's missed a bit of footy, but he didn't have as big a year as I hoped. Height/weight he's basically identical to Billy Longer, but Longer has a dozen times his presence on the football field.

He seemed relatively quick, and he's fairly agile and coordinated for a big bloke from what I've seen. Can use his height to take an overhead mark although he's far from a dominant aerial performer against other talls. Ruckwork pretty anonymous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask An Expert: Draftee Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back