Assistant Coaches - wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

J-Pod can help fast track the development of the young guys transitioning from under 18s to AFL footy.

J-Pod can help fast track the development of the young guys transitioning from under 18s to AFL footy.

I think you mean transitioning from under 30s to AFL footy. ;)

Mark Harvey inspires no confidence in me that he knows what he is doing. Sometimes when he is mid sentence I get the feeling he has forgotten what he was talking about.

I'd talk to him. I think media work is his worst attribute. As an assistant, he doesn't need to do that.

He had no right to do what he did with Freo last year. That was a good coaching performance. He's developed young blokes and mature aged recruits and got the best footy out of the likes of Sandilands, McPharlin etc. I'm not saying we should go and get him but I wouldn't judge him on his work behind a microphone.

Think another point being missed is that there is a lot of nervous assistants that won't be required due to new senior coaches coming in.

Wouldn't be suprised to see us jump on a couple before they become unemployed. Thats at least what we should be looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think another point being missed is that there is a lot of nervous assistants that won't be required due to new senior coaches coming in.

Wouldn't be suprised to see us jump on a couple before they become unemployed. Thats at least what we should be looking at.
I believe Freo had already lost one soon after the season finished. Reports on the Saints Board suggest Peter Berbakov has walked.

I think harvey wouldn't be a bad fit in brisbane. He seems to be able to improve the relationship between the ruckman and midfielders in the game. I think he would be good for us. But who knows if brisbane want him. Might be able to assist in the mitch clark trade as well:thumbsu:

He has coached for 6 or 7 years and didn't do a bad job developing Freo's young list. Might be useful with our young list.

I think harvey wouldn't be a bad fit in brisbane. He seems to be able to improve the relationship between the ruckman and midfielders in the game. I think he would be good for us. But who knows if brisbane want him. Might be able to assist in the mitch clark trade as well:thumbsu:

He has coached for 6 or 7 years and didn't do a bad job developing Freo's young list. Might be useful with our young list.

2 bulls in 1 paddock. Would still have burning senior ambition & would be a train wreck with Vossy. Gary Lyon should be right on the phone now. Just what Melbourne need - a hard man that knows how to develop a list.

2 bulls in 1 paddock. Would still have burning senior ambition & would be a train wreck with Vossy. Gary Lyon should be right on the phone now. Just what Melbourne need - a hard man that knows how to develop a list.

I don't think Mark Harvey is the right man for Melbourne - a bit similar to Bailey for me.

I reckon Melbourne will hold out for Mick either next year or the year after.

Don't know if it will happen, but i agree with western royboy, i think Melb will be trying really hard to get the likes of Mick there. There are plenty of decent coaches floating around this year, if they end up with a bit of a nobody, you know they are just delaying a year in an attempt to get Mick. I think they really want a big name top notch coach.

I'd talk to him. I think media work is his worst attribute. As an assistant, he doesn't need to do that.

He had no right to do what he did with Freo last year. That was a good coaching performance. He's developed young blokes and mature aged recruits and got the best footy out of the likes of Sandilands, McPharlin etc. I'm not saying we should go and get him but I wouldn't judge him on his work behind a microphone.

Harvey's bigges problem is that he is as stupid as a stump.

I think it is a good idea to remember who was an assistant at Freo last year. The only times when Harvey has looked half decent has been when a certain ex-lion now cat was in the background.

I don't know if you are all on twitter or not, but that hour or so when the Mark Harvey/Ross Lyon thing was unfolding was one of the more exciting hours of football all season ... and not a single football was kicked.

I was trying to explain it all to my missus, and she asked ..."If you were Fremantle, would you have done the same thing?" I categorically said no. I don't care if a better offer comes along, you have got to deal with the incumbent with a little more dignity then what was shown to Harvey.

I hope the Lions don't go down this increasingly Euro-Football style approach to management (I do love soccer, don't get me wrong) and try and instil a sense of loyalty within both our coaching and playing group. With current events, I am even happier with Vossy at the helm.

Rather bring in some new ideas, than get more of Voss's contemporaries.

Not sure about Brett Burton as fitness coach though. Would have liked a more experienced hand in that role, given our young list.

I sure he has the experience...he has a sports science degree and owns his own business. He has been setting himself up for a AFL fitness career for years now
http://www.adelaidefs.com.au/

I think the idea of having forwards, backs and onballers coaches is archaic. Forwards need to defend, defenders need to attack, midfielders need to do all 3. I think your defensive coach sets up a system and has to educate 22 blokes on how to play it. That coach could easily be a midfielder or a forward. Without denigrating Leppa, Richmond didn't exactly demonstrate a strong grasp of modern defensive tactics this year.

If we could afford to pinch him, Gavin Brown might be one to look at. Long apprenticeship at Collingwood and moved to Carlton this year (who are clearly an improved side from the 2010 version).

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant Coaches - wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back