Assistant Coaches - wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people need to get over the perception of Ayres from his first time around. He has been nothing but excellent the last few years and you basically hear nothing but good things about him. He deserves another gig and I think he would be an excellent pick up.

Port Melb went through undefeated in the VFL this year I think. For an unaffiliated club that is a fantastic acheivement and a testiment to the club and the coach.
I have actually come around to thinking that we could do worse.

I think people need to get over the perception of Ayres from his first time around. He has been nothing but excellent the last few years and you basically hear nothing but good things about him. He deserves another gig and I think he would be an excellent pick up.

Port Melb went through undefeated in the VFL this year I think. For an unaffiliated club that is a fantastic acheivement and a testiment to the club and the coach.

...and to the obviously exceptional players Mr Ayres has on his list...

..and to follow WR post, another NO THANKS from me

Must be alot of assistant coaches who can't work with coaches with the way most of them swap jobs these days....

I hope we haven't put all our eggs in the Neil Craig basket.

...and to the obviously exceptional players Mr Ayres has on his list...

..and to follow WR post, another NO THANKS from me

To be fair to Mr Ayres his side did beat a side in the Grand Final that contained 15 full time professional footballers ie. Bulldogs listed players.
How many did Port have? None.

Think your hugely underselling his & the whole clubs effort to go through undefeated.

We all know that anyone that has not worn a Lions jumper will never get your seal of approval in any coaching capacity....... let alone the orange cutter. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a long term contract for an assistant? To me it does anyway.

I was never that impressed with Rawlings, seemed to lack tactical nous. Happy to see him get a new gig though.
The only reason I queried it is that I've heard good things about Rawlings over the past 6 months. I think he's been tarred with the Richmond brush but there's some talent there as a coach IMO.

Looks like Eade is the latest of the ex-coaches to be interviewed by the Lions. Following in the footsteps of Laidley, Williams and Craig.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-coach-shuffle-continues-20110928-1kxcc.html

In a sign of a possible new trend in coaching, Richmond has hired Smith from Hawthorn in a new position looking at the team's defensive system.
Doesn't Sydney also have an 'oddly named', yet - makes sense, Stoppage Coach?

A few clubs now have stoppage coaches. I believe Berbakov was the defensive structures coach at St Kilda and other clubs are following suit. It makes sense. You have more than just midfielders at stoppages (except centre bounces) and everyone needs to know their position in a defensive structure.

I can't remember which Lion it was but I recall an interview and they said they had done a lot of stoppages work with Woewodin.

A few clubs now have stoppage coaches. I believe Berbakov was the defensive structures coach at St Kilda and other clubs are following suit. It makes sense. You have more than just midfielders at stoppages (except centre bounces) and everyone needs to know their position in a defensive structure.

Clearly Hawthorn don't have one.
Luke Ball left alone at a stoppage 30 metres from goal, despite having extra numbers back. :( Could cost a grand final spot that sort of thing.

Clearly Hawthorn don't have one.
Luke Ball left alone at a stoppage 30 metres from goal, despite having extra numbers back. :( Could cost a grand final spot that sort of thing.
Yep. A big reason why stoppage drills aren't just for midfielders any more. There's at least some chance that the space that Ball ran into should have been blocked by a forward or flanker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant Coaches - wanted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back