wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
No real surprise here according to CricInfo. The only real interest will be whether Lee replaces Bichel, which seems to be gaining momentum due to a concerted push from within the mainstream media.

Bichel deserves another chance, he wasn't brillant but from what I saw he was fairly solid in the 1st innings (wasn't required in the 2nd innings) and has done enough to warrant being kept in the team.

I would be wary of the public announcements from Lee and those around him who say he's back to his best. I've heard that plenty of times over the past 12 months that Lee was back to his best or bowling his fastest and it has counted for nought.

However, if he gets a bag of wickets against South Australia then the momentum may be enough to see him force his way back into the side.

****ty

The concerted push to get Lee back in the side is giving me the ****s. They're always on about him being 'back to his best', or 'bowling fast', or some bollocks about 'just enjoying the game'. That and his Captain always squarking on about him.

Grrr.

Maybe Lee's best isn't good enough? Maybe after his initial burst of success Batsmen around the world worked him out, and statements like 'I'm back to my best' mean nothing because he's actually a bit crap. I mean, Christ, I could've bowled Nantie Haywood out last summer, and I'm ****.

Re: ****ty

Originally posted by bluechampion
Maybe Lee's best isn't good enough? Maybe after his initial burst of success Batsmen around the world worked him out, and statements like 'I'm back to my best' mean nothing because he's actually a bit crap. I mean, Christ, I could've bowled Nantie Haywood out last summer, and I'm ****.

I think Lee's best is definately good enough. He has definately bowled well within himself since coming back from his shoulder operation and rarely got over 140 kph. Getting dropped has put the wind up him and he is playing for a test spot against South Australia today. A few wickets should see him in. Looks like Boof has been after him though....

Also, I think Dizzy is still a bit injured at the moment. He was struggling in his first spell (could only bowl 3 overs) and in later spells he was really stretching out his injured calf. With one win on the board it might be worth resting him and get the injury right as he is going to be very important for the remaining ashes tests, the one dayers, world cup and then the tour to the West Indies.

Maybe, they should rest Dizzy and let Lee and Bichel fight out for the remaining spot in the second test.

Good idea Briedis!!

I definitely would like to see Bichel play and see Lee play. I think the same pitch and the same opposition is a fairer comparison than Pura Cup v Test, and let Dizzy rest and get back to hi best.

For mine, the jury is still out on Lee. He just doesn't seem to have a gritty enough mentally or something! Here's a guy who logic says should be slaying them and he's not!! I'm no bowling technique wizard, so am I missing something??

Agree

I agree that maybe we should rest Dizzy given the upcoming schedual, but as I've posted elsewhere, we should use the opportunity to blood someone for the future this summer. We clearly have the series in the bag and should look at giving young Watson a taste of the big time, to see if he cuts the mustard. The more international cricket he plays before the World Cup the better.

No suprises here. Whats the big deal that Australia hasn't gone with 2 spinners for Adelaide? I think it would be a waste if we dropped a quickie to bring in McGill or Hauritz.

Give Bichel another test. Whats the rush for Lee to return. If he's good enough and really wants his place back in the Starting XI, he needs to deliver the goods at domestic level again.

Bichel didn't do much wrong & Lee should made to earn his place back in the Australian side (ie. more than a couple of games - as it took Boof 3 Domestic cricketer of the year seasons to break into the test team). Lee should only come in if there is any doubt over Dizzy's fitness.

No need to rest Dizzy, if he's fit play him. He's an important bowler and the most underrated player in the Australian side.

I'm not a fan of Lee but he did well against Tasmania and he also did well today against South Australia. I was at the match and whilst Lehmann scored a bit off Lee he also had more trouble against him than any other bowler. Lee got Lehmann with the first ball of a new spell. But just as batsmen who score plenty at domestic level have to wait for a spot to open up, so too should Lee be made to wait. The simple fact is Bichel, or any other bowler, doesn't deserved to be dropped.

And for what its worth, MacGill bowled complete rubbish today.

Originally posted by DaveW
No need to rest Dizzy, if he's fit play him. He's an important bowler and the most underrated player in the Australian side.

I'm not a fan of Lee but he did well against Tasmania and he also did well today against South Australia. I was at the match and whilst Lehmann scored a bit off Lee he also had more trouble against him than any other bowler. Lee got Lehmann with the first ball of a new spell. But just as batsmen who score plenty at domestic level have to wait for a spot to open up, so too should Lee be made to wait. The simple fact is Bichel, or any other bowler, doesn't deserved to be dropped.

And for what its worth, MacGill bowled complete rubbish today.

I expected a bit more from Bichel at his home ground, to be honest. I would not be surprised if he lost his spot to Lee. Bowling Lehmann when he was on 97 after getting some stick from him earlier in the day may just clinch him a test spot. Great effort.

Originally posted by Briedis

I expected a bit more from Bichel at his home ground, to be honest. I would not be surprised if he lost his spot to Lee. Bowling Lehmann when he was on 97 after getting some stick from him earlier in the day may just clinch him a test spot. Great effort.

Before today, I thought the it was unlikelyLee playing in the 2nd Test, but that has changed significantly after today's performance.

Presuming he gets a 10-wicket haul for the match, and with S. Waugh predictably singing his praises in the media over the next few days, the push to bring him back into the side will be immense.

Originally posted by wagstaff

Before today, I thought the it was unlikelyLee playing in the 2nd Test, but that has changed significantly after today's performance.

Presuming he gets a 10-wicket haul for the match, and with S. Waugh predictably singing his praises in the media over the next few days, the push to bring him back into the side will be immense.
Not sure whether S Waugh singing his praises will make much difference with the selectors, as I recall the same thing happening with M Waugh's return from the Pakistan tour...

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia name unchanged squad for 2nd Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Back