Australia v India - pre series discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I get all that but you want your best players in the team.
So you need to move a player to accomodate the next best option. I’m confident we can give up Head’s 32 average at 5.
I’m sure he can adapt to open and average similar which would still be better than Harris/Konstas/Bancroft.

He doesn’t average 32 at 5 in Australia sorry to be blunt we are NOT moving out only in form middle order bat to open.

How wouldn’t Konstas be better? Has two hundreds already this summer. If we are going for a non opener Inglis opens simple

The reason it gets dismissed is because he has what can best be described as a loose technique against new ball bowling and is thus best suited to batting when the ball is older. Warner had the same aggressive traits but a much tighter technique which is why he opened.

Pretty much and let’s be real bar Khawaja and maybe Carey if his form doesn’t revert back to what it was in tests, Head is practically the only one in form. We are already struggling to get runs how about we don’t move one of the only guys in form. Similarly moving Lab is just as brainless people need to realise how hard it is to find a genuine 3, there ain’t many. Smith is cooked, Marsh hasn’t got a run for a while (yes I know he batted well the last test that’s a while ago though).

I am not worried about bowling sides out I’m very concerned on us giving our bowlers enough rest as our batting has been putrid for some time

I get all that but you want your best players in the team.
So you need to move a player to accomodate the next best option. I’m confident we can give up Head’s 32 average at 5.
I’m sure he can adapt to open and average similar which would still be better than Harris/Konstas/Bancroft.
Then you’d more than likely be wrong and it’s really a moot point because it isn’t going to happen

I never understand why Head isn't more seriously considered to open, even before they tried Smith. He's done it a lot in limited overs cricket, and is as good a like-for-like replacement for Warner as you're going to find. I prefer that to re-trying someone.

I never understand why Head isn't more seriously considered to open, even before they tried Smith. He's done it a lot in limited overs cricket, and is as good a like-for-like replacement for Warner as you're going to find. I prefer that to re-trying someone.

As stated above you get away with that in the sub continent you won’t get away with it here when the ball moves and he has a terrible technique early on he is not Warner at all. Warner actually had a very compact defence Head is very loose

I’ll preface this comment with saying I was in the Head as an opening option camp last year.

However, I now find myself more in the opposing side for these reasons:

1. I don’t think his early innings technique is suited to opening in red ball cricket in Australia, New Zealand, SA ir the UK. The way he goes back and to leg early in particular.

2. He’s great in the middle order. He’s in form, scores runs and can lift the rate.

3. We need to blood openers now. Ussie won’t be around much longer, so even if we play head he’ll likely have a new partner sooner rather than later.

4. We need to blood batters period. Shaking up the established players in the order isn’t going to help that in my opinion.

Yeah, Head is probably the most like for like Warner replacement. It makes sense to send him back to open. But I think he should also have some say over where he is most comfortable and happy batting.
Trav was told about a month ago that he would be opening against India but I think the selectors are getting a touch of cold feet combined with the fact he doesn’t really want to do it.
McSweeney is definitely being looked at

Trav was told about a month ago that he would be opening against India but I think the selectors are getting a touch of cold feet combined with the fact he doesn’t really want to do it.
so if thats the case, who was pencilled in to open for the series a few months ago before the cam green injury.

the selectors had already said that the top 6 were already determined barring injury - and if it was known that smith and head weren't gonna open then who was ? green, marsh, marnus ?

if it was to be green, then i get what all this commotion is about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia v India - pre series discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back