Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcveigh has had a solid first audition. Magnay and Cooks also good for those on the fringe.

I know its game one but gee Mills and Ingles are looking their age.
Ingles to assistant coach? He's realistically not going to add much on the court. With mcveigh emerging somethings got to happen

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be interesting to see the final make of the squad.

Do you need all of Green, Daniels, Exum and Thybulle? I personally would, and probably have pretty much 2 of them on court at all times just for defensive intensity. But they are a lot of sameish players.

I’d like to see Exum & Green on the defensive end before cutting Daniels. Dyson didn’t create much in terms of turnovers (unlike Matisse who had 4 steals in 13 minutes which is crazy).

If Exum & Green are serviceable on defence as well as providing their normal offensive output idk if we need Dyson.

An inform McVeigh playing like last night and in the NBL finals would be massive as well.

I’d like to see Exum & Green on the defensive end before cutting Daniels. Dyson didn’t create much in terms of turnovers (unlike Matisse who had 4 steals in 13 minutes which is crazy).

If Exum & Green are serviceable on defence as well as providing their normal offensive output idk if we need Dyson.

An inform McVeigh playing like last night and in the NBL finals would be massive as well.
Dyson would definitely be the one to go.. very limited offensively

Gaze played with Josh Giddey's dad (Warrick Giddey) for most of his career. He got ultra defensive in a couple of podcasts I saw when the story about the underage girl and Josh was discussed. I don't think Gaze gets how he looks when discussing Josh in terms of his clear personal bias.
To be fair, a lot of what was besing said was pretty toxic about Josh. Fair chance Gaze knew the real story given his closeness to the Giddeys, but was unable to say anything.

Probably also has to be considered that last night was only against China. We know the NBA guys are capable against some of these higher level teams, so probably still need to favour them.

Just watched kayo highlights up to end of first quarter.

Really struggling to see the point of cooks on this team. He can’t shoot, he’s too slight to be a big at international level and his ability with the ball in hand is completely negated because we have better options. So what does he actually bring?

Really struggling to see the point of cooks on this team. He can’t shoot, he’s too slight to be a big at international level and his ability with the ball in hand is completely negated because we have better options. So what does he actually bring?
Without having seen any of last nights game outside of the Boomers Instagram highlights, this has been my whole reasoning for leaving him out of my 12. The same thing was exposed at the World Cup, he doesn’t offer us any point of difference and if anything he just hurts spacing while not being tall enough to play as a true big.

Without having seen any of last nights game outside of the Boomers Instagram highlights, this has been my whole reasoning for leaving him out of my 12. The same thing was exposed at the World Cup, he doesn’t offer us any point of difference and if anything he just hurts spacing while not being tall enough to play as a true big.
Really concnered about Goorj and the Kings link getting him a gig.

I like cooks in the team, an inside guy who works hard on the boards. We need him more than we need say a daniels

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like cooks in the team, an inside guy who works hard on the boards. We need him more than we need say a daniels

He's not an inside guy at international level though. He's too slight. Will get monstered by the european bigs, and no chance against Embiid/AD/Bam/LeBron for example.

As a result, need to play genuine bigs (Landale, Reath, Magnay) or even a Kay who is taller and much sturdier than Cooks. Good teams will zone off Cooks with his complete inablity to shoot from outside the key.

Giddey, Thybulle, Green, Exum all play big for their size and help on the boards, while all being at least a threat of hitting the ring/backboard from three. Something Cooks ain't.

We should play a legit center then use the wing swarm as our defensive approach. The fact that Landale and Reath can both theoretically stretch the floor is a massive bonus on the offensive end.

Alright, just watched the replay of last nights game. Reviewing all the players -

Josh Giddey - Wasn’t very good, but I’ll defend him by saying I thought some of the lineups he was apart of were diabolical in terms of spacing. If we roll out that starting 5 of Giddey/Mills/Thybulle/Cooks/Reath at the Games I might puke.

Patty Mills - Probably had the least court time of anyone, only player who didn’t score. I’m not exactly concerned, he is the greatest Boomer of all time.

Matisse Thybulle - Defensively good, managed to hit a 3. Nice one handed jam and should’ve had another if not for a poor call.

Xavier Cooks - He was pretty good overall, but I’m still not sure I see the fit. He beat up on Japan as well at the World Cup, this was a similar level of opposition. I was intrigued by the lineup of Cooks/Goulding/Vasiljevic/White/Kay - while half these players won’t be on the plane, I’d like to see something more like this with Giddey in Cooks place.

Duop Reath - Killed them. Head butt was dumb, but other than that I’d say he was our second best.

Jack McVeigh - Our best. Shot the lights out, was able to create his own shot, capable defensively. Has to be on the plane.

Dyson Daniels - Pretty indifferent about his game, want to see a little more on the offensive end.

Joe Ingles - I didn’t think he was as bad as some others - still a crafty vet and I think he has a place.

Matthew Dellavedova - You could argue we looked at our best with him at the helm, although he also got to play in lineups with far better spacing than both Giddey and Daniels to a lesser extent were afforded.

Will Magnay - Nice block that got waved off due to an Ingles foul. I thought he was ok, probably could’ve been a little better defensively. Would like to see some more Thursday because I think he could play an important role for us.

Chris Goulding - Shot the lights out when he got on, we have to take him and he has to get some PT.

Dejan Vasiljevic - Wasn’t bad. Goulding was better though, which is who he’d be competing with.

Jack White - Did some nice things, wasn’t very noticeable for large parts but some of our best stretches came when he was on the floor.

Nic Kay - Definitely showed he can still play a bit, but at the end of the day I think others have gone past him and based on the teams we are likely to face in group play (I’m looking at Slovenia/Greece and Canada in particular) I don’t like the idea of him trying to stay in front of Luka, Giannis, Shai.

Josh Green, Dante Exum, Jock Landale - DNP

My 12 as it stands -

Giddey/Daniels
Mills/Exum/Goulding
Green/Thybulle/Ingles
Landale/McVeigh
Reath/Magnay

With some possibility of movement in that starting lineup.

Alright, just watched the replay of last nights game. Reviewing all the players -

Josh Giddey - Wasn’t very good, but I’ll defend him by saying I thought some of the lineups he was apart of were diabolical in terms of spacing. If we roll out that starting 5 of Giddey/Mills/Thybulle/Cooks/Reath at the Games I might puke.

Patty Mills - Probably had the least court time of anyone, only player who didn’t score. I’m not exactly concerned, he is the greatest Boomer of all time.

Matisse Thybulle - Defensively good, managed to hit a 3. Nice one handed jam and should’ve had another if not for a poor call.

Xavier Cooks - He was pretty good overall, but I’m still not sure I see the fit. He beat up on Japan as well at the World Cup, this was a similar level of opposition. I was intrigued by the lineup of Cooks/Goulding/Vasiljevic/White/Kay - while half these players won’t be on the plane, I’d like to see something more like this with Giddey in Cooks place.

Duop Reath - Killed them. Head butt was dumb, but other than that I’d say he was our second best.

Jack McVeigh - Our best. Shot the lights out, was able to create his own shot, capable defensively. Has to be on the plane.

Dyson Daniels - Pretty indifferent about his game, want to see a little more on the offensive end.

Joe Ingles - I didn’t think he was as bad as some others - still a crafty vet and I think he has a place.

Matthew Dellavedova - You could argue we looked at our best with him at the helm, although he also got to play in lineups with far better spacing than both Giddey and Daniels to a lesser extent were afforded.

Will Magnay - Nice block that got waved off due to an Ingles foul. I thought he was ok, probably could’ve been a little better defensively. Would like to see some more Thursday because I think he could play an important role for us.

Chris Goulding - Shot the lights out when he got on, we have to take him and he has to get some PT.

Dejan Vasiljevic - Wasn’t bad. Goulding was better though, which is who he’d be competing with.

Jack White - Did some nice things, wasn’t very noticeable for large parts but some of our best stretches came when he was on the floor.

Nic Kay - Definitely showed he can still play a bit, but at the end of the day I think others have gone past him and based on the teams we are likely to face in group play (I’m looking at Slovenia/Greece and Canada in particular) I don’t like the idea of him trying to stay in front of Luka, Giannis, Shai.

My 12 as it stands -

Giddey/Daniels
Mills/Exum/Goulding
Green/Thybulle/Ingles
Landale/McVeigh
Reath/Magnay

I totally agree with everything you just posted including your team. I think Kay will make the team though even if I wouldn't include him. Possibly for Goulding or Magnay.

I totally agree with everything you just posted including your team. I think Kay will make the team though even if I wouldn't include him. Possibly for Goulding or Magnay.
I’m thinking Goorj is going to take Cooks, not that I necessarily agree with it.

My 12 as it stands -

Giddey/Daniels
Mills/Exum/Goulding
Green/Thybulle/Ingles
Landale/McVeigh
Reath/Magnay

Feels very big with three genuine 5's. I'd rather another shooter to allow Thybulle as a stretch 4

Feels very big with three genuine 5's. I'd rather another shooter to allow Thybulle as a stretch 4
The only other true shooter would be Vasiljevic. The only other guard I cut was Delly.

Can still easily shuffle those magnets to allow Thybulle to play stretch 4, but we were exposed for being too small at the World Cup so I’d rather be prepared even if Magnay just ends up being the 12th man on the bench who doesn’t play. Although I really want to see Landale and Reath start together, which kinda necessitates the need for some Magnay minutes.

The only other true shooter would be Vasiljevic. The only other guard I cut was Delly.

Can still easily shuffle those magnets to allow Thybulle to play stretch 4, but we were exposed for being too small at the World Cup so I’d rather be prepared even if Magnay just ends up being the 12th man on the bench who doesn’t play. Although I really want to see Landale and Reath start together, which kinda necessitates the need for some Magnay minutes.
If Reath and Landale can hit the three at a reasonable clip (especially Reath), can certianly play the two bigs together, and would be the ideal given the FIBA defenisve rules.

I will say if Delly plays like he did last night on Thursday and Daniels isn’t great, it will certainly create a few questions. Delly definitely isn’t going away easy.

Last edited:
Some calls need to be made.

If Daniels was playing NBL and not NBA, I’m not sure he gets the same look in. I’m tempered by the fact he’s still so young but I don’t think he’s in the combination of our best 12 this time around.

McVeigh simply has to go. He’s automatic offense, he’s passionate and versatile. If Joe wasn’t such a legend, I’d be saying straight swap.

Cooks and Kay are toilers but with Landale, Reath and Magnay plus McVeigh being able to play a small ball 4, I’d be leaving them at home. Like others, worried about Goorj’s links to Cooks.

Delly is so polarising. He has his limitations but we look more like a functional basketball team when he’s out there, the ball swings around and gets into the right person’s hands.

Keen to see what combinations get rolled out tomorrow night, for some more insight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back