Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

What was that, the tenth straight game where a Giddey/Mills backcourt got us off to a slow start? I'm sure Goorj will try something different next game, right?

Should give McVeigh Goulding's end of bench shooter role, but that always goes to the best undersized, one dimensional NBL guard we have. It's part of BA's constitution.

Gaze played with Josh Giddey's dad (Warrick Giddey) for most of his career. He got ultra defensive in a couple of podcasts I saw when the story about the underage girl and Josh was discussed. I don't think Gaze gets how he looks when discussing Josh in terms of his clear personal bias.
Yeah I forgot about that.

I also don't think Gaze gets how he looks in general. Everything is always good, everyone is always great, no one ever does anything bad. It's tiring to listen to when he's basically the only real basketball media personality we've had in... ever?

Last I checked we were ranked 3rd and had a string of good performances in qualifirs. I think we'll do well. Nyadiew Puoch, Isobel Borlase, and Jaz Shelley are just 3 of the youngsters to emerge in recent times. .
Watching tonight Borlase looks very good. What a sporting family

Going to be some tough calls ahead. Agree with other posters that we have looked better with Delly on the court, and quite stagnant with Giddey or Daniels. Makes for some extremely difficult calls on young talent. I just wish Goorj had tried to implement some offense, instead of running freestyle ball, which is never going to work - we can’t beat the more talented USA/Canada at that game, and certainly won’t beat the good Euro teams who actually run a system.

After the first exhibition I’d be taking the following:

Exum/Giddey/Delly
Mills/Goulding
Green/Thybulle/McVeigh
Landale/Cooks
Reath/Magnay

Noting that Exum, Green and possibly McVeigh can play some time at the 2.

Landale and Reath easily have enough inside/out game that we can start and play them together. Need the third big in Magnay as we all saw what happened at the WC without Jock. Tournament over if one of the first two goes down. Interestingly, McVeigh’s emergence and his versatile skillset means we can carry one less wing than the WC, and opens up the spot for a third genuine big.

Cooks I’m a little bit uncertain about but given the additional shooting on the team his ability to play small-ball five, switchable defence, handle the ball in transition offers something of situational value - just not in the main rotation.

Harsh on Ingles - a legend, an all-time great of the program, our best ever small forward. Honestly, if I had my way I’d probably take him instead of Giddey, and we all know that’s never, ever going to happen. But it would give us a team that is set up to play Boomers style basketball.

Some interesting news for those following who may end up in our group - New Zealand can eliminate Slovenia with either a win or loss by up to 9 points in the group phase of their qualifying tournament. Slovenia need to win by 10 to stay alive, and need to win by 29 to top their group.

Some crazy results so far in that group, with Croatia beating Slovenia and New Zealand beating Croatia.

Some interesting news for those following who may end up in our group - New Zealand can eliminate Slovenia with either a win or loss by up to 9 points in the group phase of their qualifying tournament. Slovenia need to win by 10 to stay alive, and need to win by 29 to top their group.

Some crazy results so far in that group, with Croatia beating Slovenia and New Zealand beating Croatia.

Are these games available to watch here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a the quaddie . Joe joining twolves for the year to feed gobert ally oop passes .
Tough on his family though as jacob has autism and change is hard for autistic people
I know the guys make a lot of money, but moving constnatly when traded, having family move to a new place and then you hit the road for half the year is hard.

You can see why so many set their familes up in LA/Florida etc., and then go play the season before spending the off season/flying them in for periods, with them.

That sounds like Croatia playing games to **** with Slovenia

I know the guys make a lot of money, but moving constnatly when traded, having family move to a new place and then you hit the road for half the year is hard.

You can see why so many set their familes up in LA/Florida etc., and then go play the season before spending the off season/flying them in for periods, with them.
they spend heaps renovating a house in Milwaukee and then joe went to orlando

What was that, the tenth straight game where a Giddey/Mills backcourt got us off to a slow start? I'm sure Goorj will try something different next game, right?

Should give McVeigh Goulding's end of bench shooter role, but that always goes to the best undersized, one dimensional NBL guard we have. It's part of BA's constitution.

If we’re leaning hard into Giddey (not saying we should or shouldn’t) but his attributes work best with chaos and exploiting defensive lapses with creative passing.

So basically transition and some kind of motion offence. Has Goorj ever coached motion offence well? (Literally asking, I have no idea - just remember Mills Giddey iso-ball at the World Cup) I hear lots in the news about getting out in transition but that’s not sustainable for a whole tournament against quality teams.

So basically transition and some kind of motion offence. Has Goorj ever coached motion offence well?

No, he hasn’t. Our offense was so much more fluid under Lemanis, so much action, helped that we had Bogut to work off.

I’d consider running Giddey off the low block, using his passing to get looks for our shooters and cutting action. I just don’t think him talking the air out of the ball at the point suits this team.

I don’t think there’s any pathway to being a team contending for medals in international basketball that is centred around Giddey’s skillset and desired style of play. Doncic is the only other example of a heliocentric system, and he is obviously a completely different player.

IMG_1306.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back