Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

What I would like to is why is Boof walking away from this?

The guy is the coach and in charge of the team if Smith, Warner etc are copping it then why not him?

The guy is a racist and now this he needs to go as well.

At least we now know who is interested in the spirit of cricket. Some might think 12 months is a pandering to the social media masses; you could also look at it as wanting to be the only country to take this seriously.

Of course not Harsha. For all the global sledging about Australia's cricket culture (which many mistake for the team culture), let's remember the culture of those currently loud cricketing nations who don't give two shits about cheats:

English cricket = dish out OBEs because you're just glad you won something for a change and let's make Trescothick an Ashes hero while we're at it.
Indian cricket = use everything as a reason to play the race card and just deny everything.
South African cricket = appeal as a knee-jerk reaction because we need the player to play, regardless of what they've done.

Have to agree with the sentiment here. The ACB has set a standard that you have to hope other nations will follow. In the event of future ball-tampering findings buy the ICC the ACB has set a minimum ban of 9 months (Bancroft’s penalty) even when a player chooses to do this on their own.

Regards

S. Pete

What I would like to is why is Boof walking away from this?

The guy is the coach and in charge of the team if Smith, Warner etc are copping it then why not him?

The guy is a racist and now this he needs to go as well.

Because guilt by association is a pretty risky reason for terminating someone’s employment.

Regards

S. Pete

We'll see. As I said earlier, I don't think this is just about the cheating either.
Maybe he cost them some money, I don't think in the long run giving their best player a ridiculously long penalty will help their product at all in the long run.

FMD they left that meah-head Lehmann in charge as well.

I understand that people want Lehmann gone, but CA had no reason to get rid of him in this situation. I think and have always thought that he is bad for the culture of the national team. He is abrasive and hypocritical.

Plenty of us jumped to the conclusion that he told Handscomb to tell Bancroft to get rid of the evidence. Just because we thought that does not make it true. His lack of visibility during the process don't mean anything either. It makes sense for the investigation to run it's course before he speaks. People love conspiracy theories and if it fits their narrative of Lehmann being a bad guy, then that is even better.

I think a new coach will bring clean air to the way this team is perceived, but if CA have backed Lehmann for his tenure so far, there was nothing that he did in this instance to warrant his sacking.

Smith has no life outside of cricket, this will destroy him, I wish he had have stood up and been a better and stronger captain but I'm gutted for him too.

Lehman I really like but needed to go also. Like someone here said though, if there's no grounds for termination per his contract maybe they just couldn't.

What shits me is though is this bullshit view that we're far and away the worst behaved team around when you have vindictive, nasty campaigners like Kohli and De **** going round as well. This incident is a shocker yes, no disagreement here but it's not like we're the ugliest side and every other team is upholding gentlemanly values from 100 years ago, LMAO!

Last time we went all goody-two-shoes we couldnt win a test, was what 10 years ago now? We will be softcocks now and plummet down the rankings but that's ok because at least Sanitarium will be ok to put their heads on their Weet-Bix boxes and the PC police will be happy. I have no issue with us playing hard but fair. It's exactly what we expect from footballers.

Change the culture without turning them into total softcocks!

Clearly I'm pissed off at everything and everyone about this! **** you Dave Warner and Bancroft you're a fool and deserve what you got too!

The fact that you have had to go back to the 1930s and 1950s for these 2 examples says something. Apart from Gilly walking once, fair play is an old fashioned view of the way that professional sport is conducted nowadays. Not just Australia, but everywhere. Australia has not been able to stand apart as a beacon of pure sporting values, no matter how often anybody says "fair go".

Having said that, they have taken ownership of this situation. To ban the best player in the world and the captain to set an example is a powerful statement.

Yes and no. Yes modern Australians may not 'live' the fair play values but I'd suggest that the fact we still have all immigrants swear to these values today means this concept is still very relevant and important to many Australians, and part of our national identity.

Interesting you mention Gilchrist (who walked throughout his career, not once). Gilly would be by far the most popular and universally loved modern Australian cricketer in an era where most aren't well loved. In modern society, his integrity sticks out like his ears.

On a side note and not having a shot, but noting your postings how did you personally feel when the fact that sandpaper was used came out?

At a guess, I'd say you maybe felt a bit silly and even somewhat embarrassed by Smith and co. Extrapolate that feeling out across a nation that idealises fair play and you start to get an understanding for the size of the public outcry and the penalty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems they are pissed about the lies and attempts to cover it up which seems to be why Smith copped it bad
FWIW I don't think Smith lied intentionally. If he knew Warner and Bancroft were up to something but avoided knowing the details, then thrown in front of questioning media, maybe all he went on was the camera footage of Bancroft concealing the object and guessed it was some sort of tape. It was Bancroft who should have corrected him at the time. Smith was clearly floundering because he was trying to catch up on what happened. That presser was too hasty and they should never have agreed to it until they'd received advice, which is what any other country would do.

Smith has no life outside of cricket, this will destroy him, I wish he had have stood up and been a better and stronger captain but I'm gutted for him too.

Lehman I really like but needed to go also. Like someone here said though, if there's no grounds for termination per his contract maybe they just couldn't.

What shits me is though is this bullshit view that we're far and away the worst behaved team around when you have vindictive, nasty campaigners like Kohli and De **** going round as well. This incident is a shocker yes, no disagreement here but it's not like we're the ugliest side and every other team is upholding gentlemanly values from 100 years ago, LMAO!

Last time we went all goody-two-shoes we couldnt win a test, was what 10 years ago now? We will be softcocks now and plummet down the rankings but that's ok because at least Sanitarium will be ok to put their heads on their Weet-Bix boxes and the PC police will be happy. I have no issue with us playing hard but fair. It's exactly what we expect from footballers.

Change the culture without turning them into total softcocks!

Clearly I'm pissed off at everything and everyone about this! **** you Dave Warner and Bancroft you're a fool and deserve what you got too!

You are a bit all over the place there. The buck stops with our boys who stuffed up

Who was the dickhead who said " There's a win-at-all-costs mentality " ???

They're not there to " Make friends and influence people " are they ffs.

Disclaimer - i am in no way condoning the cheating.

I'm talking post getting caught mate. No other countries cricketers would have fronted up that's a fact. The south African captain not only denied it but reoffended a second time

He didn't front up from the goodness of his heart. It was on the big screen for the world to see

Really? You really want to compare what lollies a player is chewing on whilst shining the ball legally to taking ******* sandpaper out there?

Why not they are both the same thing. Ball tampering.

If you want infractions graded according to your sense of what is worse then you should lobby the rule makers and see how you go. Until then it is the same whether you and the l’ynch mob like it or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back