Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Oceania Cup is a strange one.

Why would you run a single elimination tournament when you are running another one 7 weeks later?

I was wondering whatever happened to DMDU

Speaking of DMDU, I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my bank account earlier today and noticed they finally refunded the money I donated to help them build their HQ in Footscray. I'd given up hope of getting that back.

Speaking of DMDU, I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my bank account earlier today and noticed they finally refunded the money I donated to help them build their HQ in Footscray. I'd given up hope of getting that back.

I just got my refund aswell, outta knowhere, was actually talking about to a couple local wrestlers satty night about it.

You know what's crazy. After all the FREEDOMS and BJW shows I've been to (and that's a lot). The most blood I've ever seen live in a match is still Rocky vs Slex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Oceania Cup is a strange one.

Why would you run a single elimination tournament when you are running another one 7 weeks later?

My question is why they're still trying to do Tamashii here in Australia. The Christchurch event this weekend features just 2 guys who have legitimately wrestled in New Japan in Fale and Bonza (And Bonza hardly counts) whilst the Sydney event only features the same 2 NJPW guys. You are pretty much paying for PWA with some Fale Dojo guys when it comes to Tamashii now.

For me I'd have loved the concept to be a promotion featuring guys and girls that have worked in Japan and know the style because we do have a lot of those here. Immediately coming to mind are the likes of Brooks (NOAH), Robbie Eagles (NJPW), Bonza (NJPW), Fale (NJPW), Slex (NOAH), AJ Istria (NOAH), Lena Kross (Sendai Girls), Charli Evans (Sendai Girls), Mikey Broderick (Osaka Pro), Australian Wolf (Michinoku Pro), Royce Chambers (DDT) and others who have at least toured Japan.

Mix those guys and girls in with the likes of Aussie Open, The Mighty and the actual legit NJPW guys who come in and suddenly the concept is indeed worth the 40-50 dollars that they try and charge

My question is why they're still trying to do Tamashii here in Australia. The Christchurch event this weekend features just 2 guys who have legitimately wrestled in New Japan in Fale and Bonza (And Bonza hardly counts) whilst the Sydney event only features the same 2 NJPW guys. You are pretty much paying for PWA with some Fale Dojo guys when it comes to Tamashii now.

For me I'd have loved the concept to be a promotion featuring guys and girls that have worked in Japan and know the style because we do have a lot of those here. Immediately coming to mind are the likes of Brooks (NOAH), Robbie Eagles (NJPW), Bonza (NJPW), Fale (NJPW), Slex (NOAH), AJ Istria (NOAH), Lena Kross (Sendai Girls), Charli Evans (Sendai Girls), Mikey Broderick (Osaka Pro), Australian Wolf (Michinoku Pro), Royce Chambers (DDT) and others who have at least toured Japan.

Mix those guys and girls in with the likes of Aussie Open, The Mighty and the actual legit NJPW guys who come in and suddenly the concept is indeed worth the 40-50 dollars that they try and charge
That Melbourne line up....

I mean I guess from a NJPW standpoint it's ehhhh. But it does gives people reps with good vets, which is something the Fale Dojo guys need.

ROW We Choose Violence

Some thoughts...

Absolutely loved the show, largely due to an incredible main event. The rest of the card was on-par with the other shows I've seen. Nothing incredible, but solid matches from top-to-bottom with good pacing and variety in the booking leaving very few dead spots across the afternoon. I think ROW has really established its identity now with a regular venue, distinct roster and a more mature feel to the shows.

It was great to see KENTA even if there wasn't much to the match and the result was a foregone conclusion. The botched GTS didn't help matters either.

Gambino vs Hendricks was one of the best things I've seen in recent years. The presentation of the match really helped to elevate it right from the get-go, Lindsay Howarth's ring announcing was absolutely phenomenal. I don't think that dude gets enough credit for what he adds to any show. A complete pro. I hate to say it, but they should continue with him as announcer rather than Julian James. Other little touches such as the lighting and Hendricks' new music really made the match feel special too.

Lochy's physical transformation in the last 12 months is truly impressive. He looks like a bona fide star in the ring now. The match is well-worth going out of your way to see. For the drama and psychology alone it is right up there with the best matches in Melbourne post-pandemic.

Lochy's physical transformation in the last 12 months is truly impressive. He looks like a bona fide star in the ring now. The match is well-worth going out of your way to see. For the drama and psychology alone it is right up there with the best matches in Melbourne post-pandemic.
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to go on Sunday, but I am hoping to catch up with this, be it on YouTube or other streaming service.

On the topic of impressive physical transformations, fair play to Gino as well. I saw him at WrestleRock on Friday night - he is in the best shape of his life. I hope this isn’t just a cameo run for him, but if it is, it will have been memorable either way.

Good to see ROW hitting their stride. I think The Industrique was my absolute favourite of the venues they have run, but Northcote Theatre works very well as a spot for wrestling and seems like a good home base going forward.

That Melbourne line up....

I mean I guess from a NJPW standpoint it's ehhhh. But it does gives people reps with good vets, which is something the Fale Dojo guys need.

It's a show I ended up considering with

1) Aaron Jake replacing one of the TAMASHII kids, and
2) Ugg vs Nicholls being announced, that sounds really fun.

If it were still in Thornbury I'd be going to this. St Kilda is a bit more a challenge with a foster dog in the residence at the moment.

I just had someone tell me that it’s $90 to see a Q&A with Ali, prices to make the eyes water in a cost of living crisis. When did Mustafa Ali become Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Who runs this OPW and what universe is he/she living in?

It's tough because the cheapest experience to meet Mustafa Ali and sit down for the show is $110.00 whilst the cheapest standing option is $90.00. It is a lot of money for a guy that was pretty much just a talented midcard to upper midcard guy.

Alternatively though the promoters would be right in wanting to charge a premium price for someone who was literally on WWE PLE 13-14 months ago wrestling the current World Heavyweight Champion and spent years on WWE TV facing all the top stars, also still currently on TV around the world even though it's only TNA.

Also, to get these guys out to Australia it costs a lot of money. Ali all up is probably costing OPW around the 20k mark for everything, add in the MCW show and everything that goes along with that and the promoter is probably spending 25-30k on everything. Kind of explains why the show is so expensive.

It's a show I ended up considering with

1) Aaron Jake replacing one of the TAMASHII kids, and
2) Ugg vs Nicholls being announced, that sounds really fun.

If it were still in Thornbury I'd be going to this. St Kilda is a bit more a challenge with a foster dog in the residence at the moment.

Welcome back, I'm genuinely glad to see you back. This place has been much quieter with you not around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian Wrestling thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back