Mod. Notice Background image on Crows board, post your designs!

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the Van Gough idea by deaneus.

If we're going to go for a simple football club theme, this is a desktop wallpaper from afc.com. Or we could make one with just current players.

ovVDdts.jpg
That's the kind of thing I'd like to see, love it. Would give it a crack by my Photoshop skill set is pretty limited.

I like the idea of using the WFAO imagery, but I'm not sure the club would be too keen on us using it. It might look "too official" and they could be worried that people might think that they endorse what is being written on the forum, and I don't think they'd want that.

My idea is to have the hoops jumper on either side (but an actual jumper image, rather than block rectangles), with watermarked images of players. I've done a mock-up below - past champs McLeod and Ricciuto on one side, and current champs Walker and Sloane on the other.

Crows BF Background.png

I like the idea of using the WFAO imagery, but I'm not sure the club would be too keen on us using it. It might look "too official" and they could be worried that people might think that they endorse what is being written on the forum, and I don't think they'd want that.

My idea is to have the hoops jumper on either side (but an actual jumper image, rather than block rectangles), with watermarked images of players. I've done a mock-up below - past champs McLeod and Ricciuto on one side, and current champs Walker and Sloane on the other.

View attachment 265832
I like this idea.

Just the hoops would be fine, surely. It's a background, it's meant to stay in the background. Too much action going on would be counter-intuitive and distracting. The Carlton one is a good example of less = more.

View attachment 265832

Looks very good, well done

I've been lurking around the forum for a while.... This got the better of me so I had to join :)

View attachment 266354

So far my 3 favs are the painting, the men's and women's teams idea and this one.

Has the colours, not overly complicated, a bit dark too.

Vincent Van Gogh's last painting (well, it's thought to be his last, but there's some conjecture) was called...

Wheatfield With Crows

Prophetic, huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatfield_with_Crows

and it would look like this...

View attachment 264945

Note the blue sky / yellow wheat / red dirt

A little bit left field, but so was Walshy.
This one is very sophisticated, easy on the eyes, and it's a tribute to Walshy. It gets a 'yes' from me.
Whether or not the club would give permission to use their image I don't know, I think I saw one of the other boards got permission at some point.

View attachment 264896 View attachment 264897
The grey one's pretty good too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the thinking behind the van Gogh, but I also think we need to move beyond Walsh and that design would be very anchored to a point in time.

I'm sure Pyke is cool with not getting the attention he deserves, and I'm definitely not saying the van Gogh/Walsh imagery would be disrespectful or anything, but there's a new man at the helm and I don't think we should dwell in the past.

Just a high quality jumper pic of the hoops would probably still be my preferred, remembering that it's just a background and the margins are pretty narrow (I think narrower than is represented in some of the designs posted).

remembering that it's just a background and the margins are pretty narrow (I think narrower than is represented in some of the designs posted).

I get this much of the sides on my laptop, I think we really are after just a bit of colour or something. The backgrounds don't scroll with the page either, so most of the examples are longer than they ever will be seen as well.

Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 5.53.07 PM.png

Last edited:
I like the thinking behind the van Gogh, but I also think we need to move beyond Walsh and that design would be very anchored to a point in time.

I'm sure Pyke is cool with not getting the attention he deserves, and I'm definitely not saying the van Gogh/Walsh imagery would be disrespectful or anything, but there's a new man at the helm and I don't think we should dwell in the past.

I couldn't figure out how to say it myself but that's exactly my feeling about the van Gogh stuff. It was our club's darkest moment, and one that we definitely should not forget, but our club is so much more than that. We have so much rich history to draw from to represent our club that we shouldn't really need to use that as what defines our club.

Disagree. That season changed the club, even prior to Walsh's death. It's not about remembering that moment or even remembering Walsh - it's the birth of the team first, elite standards, fly as one culture that now defines us and (hopefully) will forever.

Just a high quality jumper pic of the hoops would probably still be my preferred, remembering that it's just a background and the margins are pretty narrow (I think narrower than is represented in some of the designs posted).

I couldn't figure out how to say it myself but that's exactly my feeling about the van Gogh stuff. It was our club's darkest moment, and one that we definitely should not forget, but our club is so much more than that. We have so much rich history to draw from to represent our club that we shouldn't really need to use that as what defines our club.

Tend to agree. While a great idea, I feel it should be more about the club as a whole and not anchored to that time.
Keep those images as a reminder whenever we see them and someone posts them, not as a permanent IMO.
Not sure about others but they're a bit saddening to me while being so important. So not sure about as a background.

I've been lurking around the forum for a while.... This got the better of me so I had to join :)

View attachment 266354

I think it's great, but i don't like the feather. Take the feather out and put more crows in, and yum.

Welcome to the board mate. And good on you for contributing.

I get this much of the sides on my laptop, I think we really are after just a bit of colour or something. The backgrounds don't scroll with the page either, so most of the examples are longer than they ever will be seen as well.

View attachment 266688
Now that I'm on my laptop and not my phone mine are about 4 times wider than yours, but still quite narrow. I think the point being that margin size will vary with peoples' screen formats and that should be taken into account for a background. Anything too busy in the margins might get cut in half for a lot of people

Thanks for the welcome deaneus

Version 2, no feather.... more crows (19) + coach crow :)

View attachment 267010

I actually think just the right side would be best. most people see minimal of the side so any detail there is at best lost at worst see a small amount and looks patchy without effect.

Nice designs though

I'll add another dark option to the mix.

View attachment 266899
Really like this, not in your face and doest rely on having to see much of it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back