List Mgmt. Bailey Smith officially nominates Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Please explain?

Bailey is OOC at the end of this season, right?

Google:
“Trades only involve players who are under contract with their current teams; free agent players, whose contracts have expired, cannot be traded by their former teams, and are free to join a different team.”

“Unrestricted Free Agents are free to join any club”. Is Smith an UFA?

What am I missing?

Why the need to negotiate with Bulldogs?

right?

Google:
“Trades only involve players who are under contract with their current teams; free agent players, whose contracts have expired, cannot be traded by their former teams, and are free to join a different team.”

What am I missing?

Smith is contracted to the Bulldogs through to the end of the trade period, so the only ways he can get to Geelong are through a trade (almost certain to happen), or via the national or pre-season draft. He hasn't been in the system long enough, or been one of the Dogs' highest paid players, either of which would qualify him as an unrestricted free agent.

Please explain?

Bailey is OOC at the end of this season, right?

Google:

What am I missing?

Why the need to negotiate with Bulldogs?
His contract expires this year, I suppose that means the end of the year, not just the end of the season? He is still listed, but not contracted.
He is NOT a free agent, to be a free agent must be out of contract, AND have been at their club for 8 seasons.

Also, free agents can still be traded but they don't have to be. Some teams will prefer to trade in a free agent if they have already lost a player to free agency, this to not dilute the compensation pick.

For example, St Kilda get a 1st round compensation for losing Battle, IF St Kilda were then signing Harry Perryman as the free agent, that gain, would cancel out the Battle Rd1 compo pick.

Smith would not become a 'Free Agent' with the Doggies for another 3 years (or thereabouts) and will need to be traded to Geelong, or go into the Pre-season or main Draft if he then did not re-sign with the Doggies.

His contract expires this year, I suppose that means the end of the year, not just the end of the season? He is still listed, but not contracted.
He is NOT a free agent, to be a free agent must be out of contract, AND have been at their club for 8 seasons.

Also, free agents can still be traded but they don't have to be. Some teams will prefer to trade in a free agent if they have already lost a player to free agency, this to not dilute the compensation pick.

For example, St Kilda get a 1st round compensation for losing Battle, IF St Kilda were then signing Harry Perryman as the free agent, that gain, would cancel out the Battle Rd1 compo pick.

Smith would not become a 'Free Agent' with the Doggies for another 3 years (or thereabouts) and will need to be traded to Geelong, or go into the Pre-season or main Draft if he then did not re-sign with the Doggies.
Thank you for your explanation + helping me to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Bailey Smith officially nominates Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back