List Mgmt. Bailey Smith officially nominates Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are remembering his most recent season and forgetting what he's like when up and about and in form. A bit similar to Jeremy Cameron when a few people were worried we paid a bit too much after a disappointing final year at the Giants.

Smith has the potential (based on exposed form) to become one of the premier players in the competition. Just envision how dynamic he and Holmes would be on the bigger grounds.
Nah I'm not.

Smith is a good player, but linking him in with Danger/Jez and saying he has the potential to be one of the best in the comp is a bridge too far for mine.

I hope we snag him and he gets to that level... but that's not my expectation.

He and Holmes should be a very good running duo for sure.

Nah I'm not.

Smith is a good player, but linking him in with Danger/Jez and saying he has the potential to be one of the best in the comp is a bridge too far for mine.

I hope we snag him and he gets to that level... but that's not my expectation.

He and Holmes should be a very good running duo for sure.
Yep, ignore the deficiencies (and there are a few) and focus on the running. That alone will be a huge asset.

Anyhoooo. . .

Returning to the most relevant + important reasons to acquire Bailey Smith

He is a RANGA

1728174885558.png

There’s first round picks and there’s first round picks. Our first this year might end up being 19/20, our first next year may be the same. I’d happily give up 2x pick 20.
Main thing for me is i doubt out first next year is 20.

We had a good injury run and found some depth in new kids this year and made a prelim. We had a bad injury run and found some depth in new kids last year and finished 12th.

Loss of depth with the retirements and a potentially harder draw, and that pick is 10 to 14 even with a good run. I think it's a big chance of being a single digit pick if we have a reversion to the mean on injuries. We are particularly exposed for key position depth if injuries strike so there's a good chance we see structural loss that we can't adapt to, if the wrong injuries strike it could get ugly.

I think if this trade ends up at two firsts with a second back that's a good chance of basically being the Dylan Shiel trade but for a player with fewer runs on the board at time of trade plus off field issues to navigate. That is plainly a bad deal.

Smith is a good step but not a full solution to the midfield mix and I think we need to be trading again next year. Losing that first constrains our options too much and would be a strategic error

There’s first round picks and there’s first round picks. Our first this year might end up being 19/20, our first next year may be the same. I’d happily give up 2x pick 20.

Yeah but our first round pick next year could just as easily do what Collingwood's did this year. Don't risk it.

Hmm, Bailey Smith in the 8 top-rated finals players in past 5 years along with Danger and Zach Guthrie... GO CATS !!!

Criteria - must have played at least 5 finals in last 5 years - PS...... go to Guess Who? at 22:15

REPOST -

It was possibly just 'one final series' that got Bailey Smith so high up in the top-rated finals players in past 5 years but never-the-less that is still a very impressive given his relatively young age at the time, in addition to Bailey performing under hot finals pressure in a number of finals games not just one or two. Sure, it's before doing his knee and drop in form but there is still a lot to like and it does stand-out that he and Max Holmes should make a formidable and mighty powerful running duo in our 2025 team.

If Max Holmes didn't have that injury in 2024 Prelim. then a Premiership Cup could have been for the taking, but it does point out the need for high-class run and carry in big final games which both Max Holmes and Bailey Smith have in abundance but also have already proven themselves on the big stage...... much to LOVE and GO CATS !!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Bailey Smith officially nominates Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back