Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

He played the 2021 finals series (arguably his best footy) mainly as a half forward / 5th on baller with lower game time on ball than 3-4 other dogs midfielders. This is a lazy statement made by too many people making assumptions.
It kind of runs both ways that because what the Cats are looking to do is bring him into the midfield. Feels like it could run into a Devon Smith trade scenario real quick where he was a HFF who wanted to play midfield.

He's played out of the position he wants to play, and there's risk inherent in that.

This is a very simple but important point and gets to the crux of how broken the system is. Should a club be allowed to “trade” for a player they can’t “afford”. Surely some value has to be placed on out of contract players who haven’t reached FA. For another thread though as this isn’t unique to Geelong.
Yeah this is 100% the issue. Power has now lurched hard towards favouring the player in our current system. Certainly North's inability to land experienced players in trade made them latch onto trades like Polec and drove them into the ground.

I don't think this affects the dogs as much as some of their fans think too. Yes you lost Dunkley on terms you didn't quite like but you also bent Collingwood so far over a barrel for Treloar they were considering legal action on his contract terms.

This is a very simple but important point and gets to the crux of how broken the system is. Should a club be allowed to “trade” for a player they can’t “afford”. Surely some value has to be placed on out of contract players who haven’t reached FA. For another thread though as this isn’t unique to Geelong.

I mean yes I agree there should almost be a set valuation and clubs can't get a player without giving up the equivalent of it (in players or picks). But that's why I mentioned aflpa in my other post as they will clearly never allow it and the afl won't stand up to them so in the real world players like Smith will always get traded for unders.

Cats will have to give next years first along with this years first and second, and you might convince doggies.
Just these picks don’t cut it for a player like Smith. Sorry to disappoint you Cat fans.
He's uncontracted. We'll take him in the draft and Dogs get nothing. Easy.

Smith for our first rounder is happening. Whether the Dogs get that pick is for them to decide. I don't know if the Dogs are new to the trading game or something. The whole "we'll walk him to the draft" bit only really works on clubs with higher picks than the destination club. Dogs don't have a pick before us, so what are they threatening exactly?

He's uncontracted. We'll take him in the draft and Dogs get nothing. Easy.

Smith for our first rounder is happening. Whether the Dogs get that pick is for them to decide. I don't know if the Dogs are new to the trading game or something. The whole "we'll walk him to the draft" bit only really works on clubs with higher picks than the destination club. Dogs don't have a pick before us, so what are they threatening exactly?

Hate to burst your bubble but there would be 6 clubs, if. not more that would draft him before your pick.

Hate to burst your bubble but there would be 6 clubs, if. not more that would draft him before your pick.

Connors will be dissuading them if it gets to that (which it won't anyway).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cats will have to give next years first along with this years first and second, and you might convince doggies.
Just these picks don’t cut it for a player like Smith. Sorry to disappoint you Cat fans.
I have a suspicion we won't be the disappointed ones if your proposed trade is the benchmark... :smilev1:

I think people here are not understanding what Power is asking for. He wants Geelong to trade up their first round pick to something better. Closer to 10. Dogs are looking in trading their own future first for Dons pick 9. Maybe cats can save them the headache or get 10, 11, 12, 13, etc... Cats aren't tied to any F/S or NGA obligations to limit their trading. Look at how Blues are working atm.

I think people here are not understanding what Power is asking for. He wants Geelong to trade up their first round pick to something better. Closer to 10. Dogs are looking in trading their own future first for Dons pick 9. Maybe cats can save them the headache or get 10, 11, 12, 13, etc... Cats aren't tied to any F/S or NGA obligations to limit their trading. Look at how Blues are working atm.
The blues have a bit more to work with. Just don't think we can pull that off. We made similar demands for West Coast to trade up with Tim Kelly. They didn't.

They wouldn't, too much of a risk that he just won't play given his injury and mental health issues.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This.

Landscape is extremely different these days and a lot more sensitive towards player issues if by some 1% chance he goes to the draft no club will touch him.

He would get to Geelong even if their next pick was 50.

It’s not about the specific pick or round in the draft mate. It’s about getting the value that you believe is fair for a player that is requesting a trade out. The notion that we have absolutely no power and should just cop what we’re offered, is nonsense, hence my example about the Esava trade.

You guys wanted to maximise that deal to ensure it was fair for you guys, so why can’t Sam Power do the same? The point was around digging heels and getting what that club believes is fair or “fairer” value.

Doesn’t mean we’re going to get a top 10 pick, but Power is clearly seeking something higher than pick 17. Good list managers dig their heels in (Mackie and Power are two of them).
There's no other answer to this other than some vague belief that Bailey Smith is morally entitled to smoothlesly get to the club of his desire, despite not being a free agent.

Even though Geelong fans aren't calling for the draft to be abolished. You think they would because human rights and freedom of movement and AFLPA and all that.

For a draft and the subsequent principle of equalisation to have any meaning, a player who is very good, a former top 10 pick and living up to that top 10 pick, should have some difficulty moving to a better club without adequate cost for the aquriting club and compensation for the losing club. Otherwise, what's the point of any club ever successfully drafting and developing talent at all if there's no barriers for that player leaving?

You don't hear Geelong people talking about that.

There is no club inside the top 10 that would trade their pick to Geelong even if we offered 2 firsts which we wouldn't. 13 and the other picks you mentioned are not available. And the reality is Geelong doesn't need to do that because the dogs will trade him for unders at 7.25pm on Wednesday because they have to. I don't like it either but that's the system we are in now with player power.

F1 and 38 to Freo for 11 and 67
11 & 75 for Smith
17 to Melbourne for Oliver 49 & 54

Freo would want more than that for 11 (and they will probably end up trading it to Richmond anyway).

There's no other answer to this other than some vague belief that Bailey Smith is morally entitled to smoothlesly get to the club of his desire, despite not being a free agent.

Even though Geelong fans aren't calling for the draft to be abolished. You think they would because human rights and freedom of movement and AFLPA and all that.

For a draft and the subsequent principle of equalisation to have any meaning, a player who is very good, a former top 10 pick and living up to that top 10 pick, should have some difficulty moving to a better club without adequate cost for the aquriting club and compensation for the losing club. Otherwise, what's the point of any club ever successfully drafting and developing talent at all if there's no barriers for that player leaving?

You don't hear Geelong people talking about that.

Geelong fans arent against anything. They are just pointing out the statistical reality of how the system is. Some people have trouble accepting that factual reality.

The barriers you question don't exist the way you want them to and that's no one's fault except the afl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back