Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Next years draft is supposedly shallow and average. I can see why there’d be little appeal in a future second being thrown in and why Power is busy trying to get up the draft for this year.

The problem is with this draft being good clubs apart from gc and maybe essendon (who need points) will not want to trade out of the top end of it.

If other teams are discouraged from drafting him with a random pick in the teens, is that not tampering?

Was it tampering when it happened with Luke Ball? Wanted to go to Pies, went to Pies.
Nobody went near touching him.

This is not the first time this has happened where the threat of National Draft has been there.

I'm still staunch on this deal getting done, it's just both sides posturing.

But then there's no other conclusion to draw from what you said other than that the system is flawed/unfair for the purposes of a collective set of rules that consistently apply to achieve equalisation, and/or the fact that Geelong are engaging in tampering.

How is any of this Geelong's fault? Don't hate the player, hate the game! Right?
AFL has a bunch of inequalities.

I'm positive you weren't complaining when you got JUH and Darcy for basically nothing.

Was it tampering when it happened with Luke Ball? Wanted to go to Pies, went to Pies.
Yes, it was.

Keep in mind that Ball was also moving from Saints (who had just made the Grand Final) to the Pies (a team that didn't). That makes it in the context of equalisation less icky.
This is not the first time this has happened where the threat of National Draft has been there.
Doesn't make it right.

How is any of this Geelong's fault? Don't hate the player, hate the game! Right?
AFL has a bunch of inequalities.

I'm positive you weren't complaining when you got JUH and Darcy for basically nothing.
Geelong, who have found success by consistently leveraging those inequities and natural advantages it has over other clubs, should very much be hated by your other clubs.

Or at least their fans should, who many refuse to admit that it exists.
No, but every Dogs fan was open to admitting what a joke it was we got him for the acquisition cost we did right from day 1, and we haven't won the flag in the years since getting him anyway, unlike Geelong in recent years

Yes, it was.

Keep in mind that Ball was also moving from Saints (who had just made the Grand Final) to the Pies (a team that didn't). That makes it in the context of equalisation less icky.

Umm mate were you around when that trade happened? Ball went to a team that was playing in a Prelim Final that year finishing 4th in 2009 and ended up joining them to become the eventual 2010 Premier against the team that he left :tearsofjoy:
People were complaining at the time too that he was joining a Top 4 side...that's not too far different from this situation?

How is that any different to a guy going from a team that finished a game outside top 4 in 6th to a team that finished 3rd only on %. Literally one game separated them...the bloody Premiers finished 5th.
If Dogs didn't blow 1 single game during the year they finish 2nd and Cats could have lost 1 game and finished 7th/8th instead.

Lets not pretend like this is some powerhouse club raking a bottom feeder for a young talented player. This is two teams who absolutely were contenders this year doing a trade. The fact you tried to make out like it isn't the case is hilarious lol

Ball went to a team that was playing in a Prelim Final that year finishing 4th in 2009
Yes. A team that finished lower than the Saints in the year that Ball was leaving them.

Smith is attempting to leave to a team who finished higher than the Dogs.

That makes a difference.

Geelong, who have found success by consistently leveraging those inequities and natural advantages it has over other clubs, should very much be hated by your other clubs.

Or at least their fans should, who many refuse to admit that it exists.
It's as if this is an elite competition where everyone involved should be doing whatever they can to win provided it's within the rules, which is exactly what Geelong and seventeen other clubs are/should be doing.

If we want to get down to why Geelong is public enemy #1 these days it's because 'neutrals' miss the pre-07 Geelong, the Geelong that were everyone's 2nd favourite team, the 'just happy to be here' Geelong, the 'near enough is good enough' Geelong. Amazing how quickly public perception changes when you start winning flags to an extent that puts these 'big' clubs to shame.

You'd think Footscray supporters would sympathise with that most of all, a perennial downtrodden, small club who everyone loved simply because they're effectively zero threat and knew to stay in their lane, 90% of the football world all jumped on board in 2016 yet the moment you won the whole thing it's 'cheats', 'umpire-pets', 'throwdogs', 'AFL scripted fairy tale'. Welcome to tall poppy syndrome.

Why?? No one will pick him, unless he wants to go there.. Which team will pick a player in the first round that refuses to do an interview?
That is not treating a player you want with the respect that they deserve and expect. That would be a very anxious 6 weeks for that player. And no guarantee that they will end up at the club they want. That would be incredibly poor form on that clubs behalf imo. This it’s incumbent on the Cats to ensure they get the deal done. They’ll speculate otherwise but everyone knows the reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's as if this is an elite competition where everyone involved should be doing whatever they can to win provided it's within the rules, which is exactly what Geelong and seventeen other clubs are/should be doing.

If we want to get down to why Geelong is public enemy #1 these days it's because 'neutrals' miss the pre-07 Geelong, the Geelong that were everyone's 2nd favourite team, the 'just happy to be here' Geelong, the 'near enough is good enough' Geelong. Amazing how quickly public perception changes when you start winning flags to an extent that puts these 'big' clubs to shame.

You'd think Footscray supporters would sympathise with that most of all, a perennial downtrodden, small club who everyone loved simply because they're effectively zero threat and knew to stay in their lane, 90% of the football world all jumped on board in 2016 yet the moment you won the whole thing it's 'cheats', 'umpire-pets', 'throwdogs', 'AFL scripted fairy tale'. Welcome to tall poppy syndrome.

Absolutely spot on, people forget we were "Sleepy Hollow" where careers went to die.
We were considered part of the smaller Victorian club group, the "minnows" along with North, Doggies, Saints and Dees fighting the Big 4 clubs for relevancy. Hawks kind of in the middle between big and small club but the dynamics have changed massively in the last 20 years.

Everyone wanted Cats to win in 2007 and break their drought, by 2008 we were universally hated and became too big too quickly. Many happy we got knocked off by the Hawks.
Funny how Tall Poppy rears it head soo frequently.

Tigers were a basket case until they weren't. Every man and their (pun) Dog wanted Doggies to win, until they did and now its '#FreeKickBulldogs

No, but every Dogs fan was open to admitting what a joke it was we got him for the acquisition cost we did right from day 1, and we haven't won the flag in the years since getting him anyway, unlike Geelong in recent years

Cats won the Premiership with a bunch of unheralded outside first round picks and rookie draft players. They literally nicknamed themselves "The Misfits" because of their unique backgrounds.

I'm curious as to what "inequality" the Cats had access to with those players? Or do you mean the two free agents that they had to PAY for in Jezza and Danger? Hasn't happened before or since to any other team in the entire League and it happened TWICE to the Cats :tearsofjoy: Should Cats be complaining they had to pay when no one else did?

Or do you mean old ass Hawkins who was a Father/Son and Cats paid the basic equivalent of what team's pay for Father Sons now? I hope you're kicking up a huge stink over the Premiers getting Levi Ashcroft and paying a bunch of nothing to get him?

The F/S, academy system and Northern Academy systems clearly need fixing, i'm not the one trying to make claims that the system is beneficial to one team and not to another.

But this is besides the point, the narrative Smith is leaving a battler and joining a dynasty squad is freaking hilarious. Everyone had Geelong not even making the 8 going into the season, comments about a good coach dragging a shit list to a top 4 spot have been ongoing all year until now....now it's they are rigging the cap and "inequalities"...

Schrodingers Geelong Cat...they are a shit list with a good coach that gets the most out of them that is also stacked with superstars and paying everyone under the table. It's unhinged!

Why?? No one will pick him, unless he wants to go there.. Which team will pick a player in the first round that refuses to do an interview?
Think it’s more about not putting Smith through it. Agree he likely gets there, but the uncertainty won’t be ideal for Smith given how much Luke Ball said it affected him. I really can’t see his manager letting that happen.

Think it’s more about not putting Smith through it. Agree he likely gets there, but the uncertainty won’t be ideal for Smith given how much Luke Ball said it affected him. I really can’t see his manager letting that happen.

I think we all agree a trade is the way to go.
Both sides need to come together and work it out, i'm sure it's just posturing until Wednesday.

National Draft is not good for anyone involved, especially Bailey.

The people saying that Bulldogs have more to lose than Geelong if Smith goes into the Draft, I feel are only looking at the situation from a fan/supporter point of view.

If Smith does indeed enter the Draft (unlikely) it is a failure by both teams. However, I feel the majority of the blame lies with Geelong (if the rumours are true about being in contact for 12+ months).

Bulldogs lose a Draft pick (20) which may or may not end up as a good player, disappointing short term loss.

Geelong would lose all future credibility when it comes to luring players. I might be wrong, I'm not a player manager, recruiter or part of a club, but I know if I was a player on the out of my current club, I'd be hesitant to nominate Geelong knowing there is a chance I'd end up in the Draft again.

the reading from the media on Smiths value has been a bit off.

at only 23, hes more than franked his pick 7 value. peak form he was 2 x firsts. knee devalued him a bit but hes worth more than rioli, baker, barrass, houston imo just on age & what hes capable of
Research contract status’

The people saying that Bulldogs have more to lose than Geelong if Smith goes into the Draft, I feel are only looking at the situation from a fan/supporter point of view.

If Smith does indeed enter the Draft (unlikely) it is a failure by both teams. However, I feel the majority of the blame lies with Geelong (if the rumours are true about being in contact for 12+ months).

Bulldogs lose a Draft pick (20) which may or may not end up as a good player, disappointing short term loss.

Geelong would lose all future credibility when it comes to luring players. I might be wrong, I'm not a player manager, recruiter or part of a club, but I know if I was a player on the out of my current club, I'd be hesitant to nominate Geelong knowing there is a chance I'd end up in the Draft again.

There’s plenty at stake for both clubs.
Relationships between clubs are still important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Bailey Smith - Reportedly headed to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back