gus3232

Debutant
Sep 26, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Cleveland Indians
I *really* hope this is an April Fools joke.

In all of my 43+ years on this planet, most of which spent supporting footy, this could be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

A leading player agent has called for banning a tackle when a player isn't ready for it. Are you kidding me?

A leading player agent has called for banning a tackle when a player isn't ready for it. Are you kidding me?
Must have been watching the ANZ championship at the time. Hopefully just April fools joke.

I *really* hope this is an April Fools joke.

In all of my 43+ years on this planet, most of which spent supporting footy, this could be the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Just that dickhead Peter Jess just reminding us he's still alive.
FFS Pete,Clarke copped a headknock in a training incident.Nothing to do with blindside tackle.
I believe Bleases's head knock last year was also not a blindside tackle,just an unfortunate head clash.

Yeah I couldn't believe what I was reading. Some of the past rule changes have already led to a generation of players somewhat lacking the awareness of when to self-protect. Not defending Jeremy Cameron's recent high bump, but Rhys Mathieson was playing like he didn't expect contact and left himself wide open. There was a time when bracing to protect yourself in those situations was second nature.

Defenceless Receiver Rule - here's a sneak peak at the proposed detail(s) of it:

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after kicking or handballing;

(2) A player attempting to mark a kick; or who has received a handball and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;

(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the player’s head or neck area with the forearm or upper body area, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the shoulder and making forcible contact with any part of the defenseless player’s body.

Yeah I couldn't believe what I was reading. Some of the past rule changes have already led to a generation of players somewhat lacking the awareness of when to self-protect. Not defending Jeremy Cameron's recent high bump, but Rhys Mathieson was playing like he didn't expect contact and left himself wide open. There was a time when bracing to protect yourself in those situations was second nature.

Too true, as a youngster brought up playing up playing footy in the 60's and 70's I was always taught to protect yourself by turning side on or raising a forearm to protect your face or head.

While a little off topic but the same theme, I believe that wearing a helmet gives the batsman a false sense of security and has taken
away the self preservation factor when batting and the need for a batsman to use footwork to get inside the ball, instead of playing the ball from in front of their face. While I can't speak statistically, anecdotally I think more batsmen have been hit in the head since helmets have been standard equipment than before.

Experienced, strong, quality players rarely if ever get injured in these circumstances. It's up to coaches to train players up to protect themselves better.

There is no blindside in a 360 degree game and there's no need for this rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game is hard enough to umpire right now

Oddly we've got the rules just about right now so nothing new

Players running down the wing have to be aware someone might come off the interchange and clean them up .......be aware ...teach vision

I'm going to say something silly ......here goes :eek:

I think the rules committee have actually got the changes right over the last few years when it's all said and done

The game right now is exciting and many high scoring games .....we've got the players to bump more safely

Players can't push with their hands so they have to leap at the ball from behind to mark it or brining to ground ...thus the mark is back

The out of bounds rule tightening has seen the ball in play more....less stoppages

I think they've got it right and I know I'll get shot down for this but we have to give credit where credit is due .....

But blindside tackles .......lol.......nah leave it alone

I think the rules committee have actually got the changes right over the last few years when it's all said and done
I'd argue they've been successful in fixing some of the consequences of their previous stupid changes.

Most I'd put into the bleeding obvious category.

The game right now is exciting and many high scoring games .....we've got the players to bump more safely

Players can't push with their hands so they have to leap at the ball from behind to mark it or brining to ground ...thus the mark is back

The out of bounds rule tightening has seen the ball in play more....less stoppages

I think they've got it right and I know I'll get shot down for this but we have to give credit where credit is due .....

But blindside tackles .......lol.......nah leave it alone

It's been one round of football. Last season produced many awful games to watch, lets wait and see.

It will become an extension of the video review system. Players who have been tackled will have the right to initiate a video review by appealing to the umpire "I wasn't ready!"

It's been one round of football. Last season produced many awful games to watch, lets wait and see.

You're going to get some god awful games when you have 18 teams .....

Last season proud iced some great game but I'm also referring to the style of footy played

Remove this Banner Ad

Banning blindside tackles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back