BE BRUTALLY HONEST - Where will your team finish in 2008?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not that we have lost faith at all. Most of us are just realistic enough to know that guys with less than 50 games experience are not going to carry our midfield to a flag.
Why not? The Bombers did it in 93 with players who would not have had as much experience and exposure in big games as Priddis, Rosa, Hurn, etc. And this is coupled with all the added exposure and hassle of having to deal with all the turmoil at the club last year.
So I still reckon you're selling your club a bit short.
Last year was your down year; I don't expect another below-par result or straight sets finals exit this year. Eagles should still be around at the pointy end of the season.

eagles top four, we have the best ruckman the best backman close to the best rover in the comp.with brown hopefully over o/p kennedy in staker over injuries we are a very big side,we will [hopefully] play a different power game this year.we went close in finals without judas cuz and kerr.and lets face it we had one of the all time great midfields and managed one gf win by a point.with the comp being so close this year[on paper the closest ever] the two most importent things will be most of your players having a minimum 50-80 games under the belt and injuries.

bottom 4, the players returning from injury or to full fitness that we're looking to to drag us any higher are looking very dubious fitness wise at the moment. honestly, it would take very little for us to totally crash out again this year. if richo, foley or bowden goes down pencil in a spoon. hoping for kids to step up but without blind optimism you can only go on what you've seen so far.

You'd have to think top-two for us. The squad is still relatively young, but hardened and experienced. We lose Nathan Ablett but Tomahawk can take his place, albeit as a slightly different kind of player. Time will tell if he will be as effective or if he is still too raw.

I don't see us dropping too much - I think the hunger will still be there. Question will be whether teams figure us out and we are unable to cope, but I think we have the goods to cope with that.

You'd have to think top-two for us. The squad is still relatively young, but hardened and experienced. We lose Nathan Ablett but Tomahawk can take his place, albeit as a slightly different kind of player. Time will tell if he will be as effective or if he is still too raw.

I don't see us dropping too much - I think the hunger will still be there. Question will be whether teams figure us out and we are unable to cope, but I think we have the goods to cope with that.

Melbourne could finish anywhere between 4th and 14th.pending on how they start the year and injuries to key players.Melbournes best 22 would make the eight.
I also think that geelong have a mortgage on top spot again.....

Melbourne could finish anywhere between 4th and 14th.pending on how they start the year and injuries to key players.Melbournes best 22 would make the eight.
I also think that geelong have a mortgage on top spot again.....

Either you are taking the piss or you are being honest and are incredibly delusional.

No possible way Melbourne's best 22 would make the 8.

the eagles arent like essendon, they generally perform pretty well when they are rebuilding.

Interesting that you choose Essendon as a comparison. I've got plenty of respect for the Eagles, they've been a tough and competitive side for most of their history in the AFL. However, after conceding that we've had a pretty ordinary last three years, the period between 1987 and 2004 saw us miss the finals only 4 times - same as the Eagles (see below). I think comparatively speaking, Essendon and the Eagles actually have a similar 'rebuilding' history, each team having missed the finals in consecutive years only once since 1987. And yes, we have had a very ordinary last three years, I haven't forgotten that bit.

anyone over ten can look at the eagles record, they rarely finish outside of finals, just 3 times in 21 years

need a closer look...4 times. Final 8 system wasn't introduced until 1994, and in 1987, 8th just wasn't quite good enough to make the finals. Add to that 11th in 1989, 13th in 2000 and 14th in 2001...sometimes 2 plus 2 really does equal 4.

EDIT: Oh, and we'll make the 8 this year. And if we don't make the 8, we'll make the other 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hold on, your calling it rubbish by handpicking 5 years, a majority of which they actually did finish within the range i mentioned? the eagles have an average finishing position over all years of 5.8, under worsfold its 5.3. so what exactly do you think is rubbish?

no handpicking there champ, just your last 'rebuilding phase' & seeming as you like averages your average finishing position was 10th:rolleyes:

as to the rest of your post, keep hold of it tight, will give you something to cling to over the long season ahead...

13th-15th for us. Can't see us winning the spoon, but then again, I can't see us getting out of the bottom 4.

The reason I think we won't 'win' the spoon is I fail to see how with a fit Simmonds, Coughlan, Brown and then with the veteran addition of McMahon we can stay on the bottom.

Couple that with the fact that we didn't lose any good players and the young guys will develop further, I think we will eclipse our effort of wins last year easily enough.

I'm sick of the stupidity and blind optimism that occurs on this forum. Some of the ridiculous quotes I've heard this year are:

"Kangaroos will finish top 4"
"Essendon will make the 8"
"No way the Hawks will miss the 8"
"Carlton to finish top 6"
"Freo to win the flag"
"Melbourne to finish top 5 with a good run of injuries"

Stop the blind optimism and be totally honest on where your club will finish in 2008 along with the amount of wins and any glaring weakness in your side.

Melbourne - 12-14th / 7 to 9 wins, with a moderate injury run. Weakness is our defence...can't stop the guns. Plus we can't cope with numerous injuries.

Okay, since I'm new to this forum I will do my best to get the majority of you off-side early, just to make an impact!

I am a bulldogs fan, as indicated by my team supported, and in all honesty we will struggle to make the top 8. We have a few gun older blokes and some real talent coming through although that does not equal a top 8 club, let alone a flag.

Now for the rest...

Adelaide: Still have a very small window of success with its ageing list although need to sort out their forwards especially after losing their potential century goalkicker!!! Could be anywhere from top 3 to 8th.

Brisbane: My real darkhorse this year. Don't worry about all this talk of bottoming out after a flag (let alone 3 and a runner-up), they have talent. Brown, Black, Power, Lappin, Johnstone, Bradshaw (returning), etc.. and their middle tier players are better than people realise. I'm confident Brisbane will make the 8 and could cause some damage in September.

Carlton: Well the old dark navy blues, I can honestly see some improvement from them, but even 7 wins may have you finish in 14th as the competition is becoming more even. Much like the bulldogs their midfield is blossoming with young talent, except of course the great man Judd, although key position players are a worry.

Collingwood: Very interesting, I thought they played well above themselves last year, especially in beating West Coast over there in the semi-final. Full credit to them though they were probably a kick from premiers (hurts doesn't it). They are obviously well up in the betting this year although I still can't place them any higher than about 5th or 6th (yes I'm sure this'll put many off-side). Good balanced team, based on no All-Australian selections, but yeh...

Essendon: I went to school with a plethera of Essendon supporters so they've had me disgruntled with them for years so I'll try my best to be unbiased. They no doubt have talent, ie. Lucas, Lloyd, Michael and Fletcher (no dramas with key position there) although on the other hand their midfield is ordinary. Yes bomber fans will tell you how great Stanton, Dyson, Davey, and Jetta are/can be, although they're way off the mark from the Brisbane's list above. Will struggle to make the 8.

Fremantle: Like many people I was very keen on the dockers in 2007 and since they cost my some dosh last year I am resigned to them losing every game this year... On paper they have talent to burn, although in reality they are pretenders and if they ever lose Pavlich they're screwed. I know I'll probably regret it and they'll bite me on the ass but I've got them at 7th-10th.

Geelong: Well can anyone get near them. Whether you followed Geelong or not in the Grand Final you must admit that they were very impressive. They've only lost fringe players so that wont hurt them (okay Nathan Ablett) so they will be tough to beat again. How do people compare them with the great Brisbane side and Bomber side of 2000? Definitely top 3 unless severe injury or lightning strikes their guns (all 10 of them).

Hawthorn: Another surprise packet last year. The real test is that now they're the hunted and not the hunter which can be a major hurdle when trying to back up a quality season. Full credit to them they played outstanding football and deserved their place. Where will the improvement come from though? Still very solid for a top 8 finish.

Kangaroos (Gold Coast): No I won't get you going with that, I've got enough Collingwood and Essendon supporters to worry about! Well done on last year. I too had them ranked very low last year similar to just about anyone other than a North (and I say North because they still should by North Melbourne and remain here) supporter, but they did extremely well. Their team is very well balanced and that's half your battle. The old saying "a champion team is better than a team of champions". Still not convinced but you have me watching. Anywhere from 6th to 12th.

Melbourne: These guys could be anything. They could be anywhere from 5th to 15th, yes of course injury plays a part but I guess at this stage of the year we're judging teams on their talent and perhaps recent form so at full strength they're okay. vary difficult to place, I may need a couple of games to decide.

Port Adelaide: Who really believes that they were the 2nd best team last year (yes I know wht Collingwood supporters think)? Sure they have talent ie. Cornes x 2, Burgoyne x 2, and Tredrea but really! I doubt whether they'll cause alot of damage this year. I'll stick my neck out and say that they may even miss the 8.

Richmond: The tiger army are getting excited but I think they may be getting ahead of themselves. Chances are thay'll win the NAB cup and their membership will rise to about 60,000 although to finish in the top 12 would be remarkable for them this year.

St.Kilda: Now St.Kilda is a differerent proposition. They probably should have had a couple more cups in the cabinet if not for the ex-coach. One of the best lists in the AFL and as much as I've pumped up Geelong the saints are my tip for this year's flag.
Why: King, Ball, Hayes, Harvey, Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Gehrig, Koschitzke, Goddard, Maguire and Sam Fisher = guns. Montagna, Fiora, Gram, Leigh Fisher, Xavier Clarke and Blake all big improvements last year. Plus Hudghton, Baker, Raphael Clarke and Milne, also the addition of Schneider, that's their 22. Very tough to beat.

Sydney: Still be very competitive, but depth is a worry. Hall, O'Loughlin, Barry, Kirk and Everitt aren't any younger and they're midfield is still a little shaky. Goodes is obviously the bench mark and with him they're capable of another prominent showing in September. But how far?

West Coast: I rate this team very highly. Yes we all know that Judd and Cousins are gone, but they have seen great improvement from Priddis, Rosa, Selwood, Brett Jones and Hurn to complement the midfield, which mind you still contains Embley, Kerr, Stenglein, Braun, Fletcher and of course the general Cox. Josh Kennedy is a great pick-up and with Hansen and Lynch they could have a very potent attack. I'm not game enough to write this Western Australian team off and I'll tip them for top 4.

So now that you've had your 4 coffee's and ready to fire back at me I'll leave you with my predicted ladder. Injuries will obviously alter this but here goes.

1. St.Kilda
2. Geelong
3. West Coast
4. Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Brisbane
7. Collingwood
8. Hawthorn
---------------------------
9. Fremantle
10. Port Adelaide
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Kangaroos
13. Essendon
14. Melbourne
15. Carlton
16. Richmond

I do believe however that there will probably be no more than 2 games separating 6th and 12th.

Okay bring it on......

I HONESTLY believe we will make the grand final. But from there, who knows... we will probably find a way to lose.

[quote=Jaxon;9899665]Okay, since I'm new to this forum I will do my best to get the majority of you off-side early, just to make an impact!

1. St.Kilda
2. Geelong
3. West Coast
4. Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Brisbane
7. Collingwood
8. Hawthorn
9. Fremantle
10. Port Adelaide
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Kangaroos
13. Essendon
14. Melbourne
15. Carlton
16. Richmond

Good post Jaxon and well thought out. I think your a bit off the mark with the Saints though. Sure they have some good players, but 1st, flag favourits? Get on now mate, the odds should be pretty good. I don't think Sydney have any chance at 5th, and I think 7-9th is more realistic than 5th. Collingwood won't fall I'd think, top 6 fotr them.

About Hawthorn you said, "Where will the improvement come from though"? The players that stepped up last year were 50-150 gamers. The next level down the 35-75 range players will have a bigger impact this year. No doubt at all. It's not an easy gig getting into the starting 22 for the Hawks now. There is heavy competition for spots, like there hasn't been for a long. Williams, who avg 3 goal's a game in 06 is back also. We have some suspensions through the first 3 rounds which may have an impact, but I'm confidant of 4-5th.

From my earlier post.

1. Geelong
2. West Coast
3. Port
4. Hawthorn
5. Collingwood
6. Brisbane
7. Roo's
8. Saints

[quote=Jaxon;9899665]Okay, since I'm new to this forum I will do my best to get the majority of you off-side early, just to make an impact!

1. St.Kilda
2. Geelong
3. West Coast
4. Adelaide
5. Sydney
6. Brisbane
7. Collingwood
8. Hawthorn
9. Fremantle
10. Port Adelaide
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Kangaroos
13. Essendon
14. Melbourne
15. Carlton
16. Richmond

Good post Jaxon and well thought out. I think your a bit off the mark with the Saints though. Sure they have some good players, but 1st, flag favourits? Get on now mate, the odds should be pretty good. I don't think Sydney have any chance at 5th, and I think 7-9th is more realistic than 5th. Collingwood won't fall I'd think, top 6 fotr them.

About Hawthorn you said, "Where will the improvement come from though"? The players that stepped up last year were 50-150 gamers. The next level down the 35-75 range players will have a bigger impact this year. No doubt at all. It's not an easy gig getting into the starting 22 for the Hawks now. There is heavy competition for spots, like there hasn't been for a long. Williams, who avg 3 goal's a game in 06 is back also. We have some suspensions through the first 3 rounds which may have an impact, but I'm confidant of 4-5th.

From my earlier post.

1. Geelong
2. West Coast
3. Port
4. Hawthorn
5. Collingwood
6. Brisbane
7. Roo's
8. Saints

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm assuming it wont be the case for all supporters. I must admit that I didn't see too much of the hawks last season so can't really comment on them, but from listening to a few games it seemed as though there was a heavy emphasis on Franklin and I don't think he could do much more than he did. There wasn't much on the recruiting front so that was my basis for improvement areas. I am a big fan of the new crop though: Ellis, Franklin, Roughead, Boyle, Dowler, Lewis and a few more which have escaped me. But good luck anyway.

There aren't too many teams which you look at and say that they could be genuine premiers, other than Geelong of course, but I feel the saints may have something. A lot of people are happy to say a team may finish top 4 but wont stick their neck out, expecially for a team they don't support.

Cheers

Hawthorn= 3-6

We should win the premiership any other result would be deemed to be a failure!! with Clarkson Kennett and co with alot of questions to be answered!! after 3 seasons of constant improvement no more excuses!!! Regardless of injuries we have to keep winning 4 more games every year!!
e.g. 05 5 wins/ 06 9 wins/ 07 14 wins/ 08 17- 18 wins!!! WE MUST KEEP THE GRAPH UPWARDS LIKE AN AEROPLANE THAT JUST TOOK OFF!! WE HAVENT REACHED MAXIMUM ALTITUDE YET!!! WE MUST STAY ON COURSE WE MUST COMPLETE OUR MISSION!!

Remove this Banner Ad

BE BRUTALLY HONEST - Where will your team finish in 2008?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back