Beamer to test waters of free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly cant see which premiership contender Moloney could help to be honest

So many examples in history of guys chasing flags that just backfires

A recent one, Cameron Bruce

Bruce would be one of the first selected still at Melbourne and would be getting 25 + touches a week

Instead, he's going to finish his career in the twos

How he even got another year with Hawthorn still baffles me

I agree - if you look at Hawks people - none of them understand how he he got a 2nd year versus Ladson finishing.

It looks as though he is just depth player now - get a game here and there.

The manager did a huge backflip in that interview.
at the start he was eluding to the fact that he's had contact with other clubs and Brent is keen to hear an offer to see what he's worth - then when pressed on the issue further, he says brent wants to stay at MFC.

I'd be changing management.

He only just joined that management group like a week ago :p

Don't think it was a case of him over rating himself but wanting more money and a longer contract. We didn't want to do that, we offered him the one year deal and he walked. His problem, not ours. We stood by him and gave him great contracts over the journey and when his career comes to a close he walks. Soft option.

Same with Moloney. If he walks now then I'd be annoyed that he couldn't repay the huge faith we showed in him by not only trading for him but sticking by him when he could barely get on the park for 2 years.

How fickle some players can be.

Bruce accepted a lesser contract at Hawthorn than what we offered

He was also not guaranteed a 2nd year at Hawthorn, it was conditional

How in gods name they decided to offer him another year is well and truly beyond me

8 poor games last year, 7 out injured and these in the 2's it just doesn't make sense to me

Normally I'm one to wish players well if they move on, but Cameron shit in our face and it was a disgrace

As bitter as this sounds, I'm not sad to see this putrid end to his career

IF Moloney left (which I don't think he will) I'd probably think the same

The most annoying thing for me, is that at home It's got to the point where the old man has lost all hope in Melbourne. He thinks ALL our players are leaving. Thinks the club is going under. Thinks the players hate the coach. The man's lost it. I seen him after work last night, and I was subject to the biggest rant of all time. Try defending Melbourne under that fire, it was impossible! Never seen him that bad before, which is scary. Never even seen him half this faithless before, very strange. But I, unlike him, refuse to believe it. To me, he has no idea whatsoever! There's no way the Demons go under. It's just one of those times. And as far as Free Agency goes; if any player for whatever reason doesn't want to be there, in my opinion? Let 'em go. I'd rather have players that WANT to be there, then those who don't.

Media beat up makes it feel like the world is caving in

I'm still waiting for this massive exodus that's been reported every year

If we all take a long, deep breath and look at it, we lost 1 PLAYER (Scummy).

And my firm belief is, is that Scummy would've left no matter which club he was drafted to, even his beloved Tigers

I can't believe some of the shit I am reading about Moloney.

The article never had a quote from him above thinking of leaving. It is all his manager talking about it, means nothing.

The bloke can be a little inconsistant and may not be a Gary Ablett type, but he would get a game in probably every team in the league. No doubts about that.

Whoever it was that called him a front runner, you are a flog. Very rarely do we win without him being best on ground or close too. Last year he won the b&f and finished 5th in the brownlow and people are willing to let him go? Laughable.

He ain't a front runner, agreed

In the years Moloney has been able to get on the park, he's been one of our best and most consistent, Win / Lose / Draw, good opposition or poor opposition

People think he beat up on weak teams last year....fact is, our entire team did that, not just Beamer

When we were good last year we were good

When we were bad, we were putrid

HUN Journalism:

Make up bullshit story, eg Jamar is leaving.

If story is not proven bullshit, as it should be, within two weeks...

Use it in another story as ammunition, eg. Moloney JOINING Jamar

Pyramid of lies.

What a rag.

HUN Journalism:

Make up bullshit story, eg Jamar is leaving.

If story is not proven bullshit, as it should be, within two weeks...

Use it in another story as ammunition, eg. Moloney JOINING Jamar

Pyramid of lies.

What a rag.

Whilst that's all true it can't be denied that Moloney's manager is a shameless arse-hat saying what he did on radio after just 6 rounds.

Point 1: It's not necessarily about the bigger pay packet. (sure)

Point 2: It's more about success although Brent leaving isn't a statement about Melbourne's opportunity of success and he's keen to stay at Melbourne. (wtf)

Point 3: I guess its about if Brent wants to leave then f/a can give him that opportunity. (no shit)

Point 4: It's a whole new landscape. (managers are fapping)

Point 5: It's best simply for Brent to concentrate on his footy (although I've just put him in the shit for the next 5 months).

Put all of this together and it is non-sensical dialogue that says nothing other than "we be pimpin". As much as the HUN is a joke this interview hasn't helped one bit and it is obviously a reflection of where Moloney is at - if not then he should sack his manager (as SM said).

Whilst that's all true it can't be denied that Moloney's manager is a shameless arse-hat saying what he did on radio after just 6 rounds.

Point 1: It's not necessarily about the bigger pay packet. (sure)

Point 2: It's more about success although Brent leaving isn't a statement about Melbourne's opportunity of success and he's keen to stay at Melbourne. (wtf)

Point 3: I guess its about if Brent wants to leave then f/a can give him that opportunity. (no shit)

Point 4: It's a whole new landscape. (managers are fapping)

Point 5: It's best simply for Brent to concentrate on his footy (although I've just put him in the shit for the next 5 months).

Put all of this together and it is non-sensical dialogue that says nothing other than "we be pimpin". As much as the HUN is a joke this interview hasn't helped one bit and it is obviously a reflection of where Moloney is at - if not then he should sack his manager (as SM said).

Point 5 is always a sure fire sign that the player is either leaving or seriously thinking about leaving. Like I said, I have a feeling Neeld doesn't rate Moloney that highly and if Beamer's manager can get a decent deal elsewhere, he will walk. I highly doubt Beamer's manager would be making these decisions without consulting him. I'm definitely leaning towards Moloney leaving and Jamar staying.

Point 5 is always a sure fire sign that the player is either leaving or seriously thinking about leaving. Like I said, I have a feeling Neeld doesn't rate Moloney that highly and if Beamer's manager can get a decent deal elsewhere, he will walk. I highly doubt Beamer's manager would be making these decisions without consulting him. I'm definitely leaning towards Moloney leaving and Jamar staying.

Watch the 'Coaches Office' with Russell Robertson on the MFC website from the round Moloney comes back. He seems to rate him in that.

I'm sure when he was Collingwoods AC watching Beamer collect 39 touches and have about 15 clearances against probably the best midfield in the league would have convinced him he could play

I can't believe some of the shit I am reading about Moloney.

The article never had a quote from him above thinking of leaving. It is all his manager talking about it, means nothing.

The bloke can be a little inconsistant and may not be a Gary Ablett type, but he would get a game in probably every team in the league. No doubts about that.

Whoever it was that called him a front runner, you are a flog. Very rarely do we win without him being best on ground or close too. Last year he won the b&f and finished 5th in the brownlow and people are willing to let him go? Laughable.

1)He's a downhill skier, not a front runner.

2)He's 28 and will get no better.

3)If he wants cash over 350K he can walk. Dont be such a short sighted moron, Sivart. That 400K we save can then go towards, hmm lets see, another Mitch Clark.

'Letting a player walk' sometimes serves a bigger need than your short sightedness could ever imagine.

Watch the 'Coaches Office' with Russell Robertson on the MFC website from the round Moloney comes back. He seems to rate him in that.

I'm sure when he was Collingwoods AC watching Beamer collect 39 touches and have about 15 clearances against probably the best midfield in the league would have convinced him he could play

Well, maybe Beamer doesn't rate the coach. But something doesn't seem right with Moloney this season. Has looked disinterested. Maybe he's not liking the extra workload that Neeld's gameplan requires, or maybe he's pi**ed at being cut as a leader. The fact is, he isn't getting his hands on the footy for one reason or another. He had a great season last year, but without backing it up this year, it means very little.

I'd like him to stay, but I won't be shedding any tears if he walks. $400,000+ has been mentioned, which I think is afair price for his form last year, but he's way off that right now.

How has everyone convinced themselves Beamer is a downhill skiier on the back of 1 season where he was up and down?

They were all terrible against good opponents last year

They were all good against poor opponents last year

Was Beamer downhill skiing in 2010 against collingwood (eventual premiers) with 38 touches?

I can name several more good performances Beamer has had against good teams in the last few years

Well, maybe Beamer doesn't rate the coach. But something doesn't seem right with Moloney this season. Has looked disinterested. Maybe he's not liking the extra workload that Neeld's gameplan requires, or maybe he's pi**ed at being cut as a leader. The fact is, he isn't getting his hands on the footy for one reason or another. He had a great season last year, but without backing it up this year, it means very little.

I'd like him to stay, but I won't be shedding any tears if he walks. $400,000+ has been mentioned, which I think is afair price for his form last year, but he's way off that right now.

Shouldn't have played round 1, was clearly injured

Missed the next couple of games

Came back in and has been progressively getting better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So having one good game where he got 38 touches means he isn't a downhill skier?

I don't want to get into that argument but the bloke hasn't stood up for us in big games in a long time. He plays well against teams we should beat and doesn't do much against the better opposition. Not saying thats grounds for letting him go but he has gone missing far more often than not.

So having one good game where he got 38 touches means he isn't a downhill skier?

I don't want to get into that argument but the bloke hasn't stood up for us in big games in a long time. He plays well against teams we should beat and doesn't do much against the better opposition. Not saying thats grounds for letting him go but he has gone missing far more often than not.

Agree completely. He is a good player and I don't want to lose him. However he almost always has mediocre games when we're taking it up the clacker against good sides. Admittedly he's the one I'm always looking at to lead in those situations because of his experience and ability. Setting world records against crap interstate sides at the G is great, but games like tomorrow night are the ones I want him smashing because he's good enough.

That was the trend in 2011 for Brent....as it was for the entire team

Pre 2011 he was consistent, no matter the opposition

I used 1 match because I couldn't be bothered listing the mutitude of other good games he's had against good opposition

But tomorrow, I will

Agree completely. He is a good player and I don't want to lose him. However he almost always has mediocre games when we're taking it up the clacker against good sides. Admittedly he's the one I'm always looking at to lead in those situations because of his on experience and ability. Setting world records against crap interstate sides at the G is great, but games like tomorrow night are the ones I want him smashing because he's good enough.

Or, in reality, IS he good enough? He has the odd break out game but he has never done it consistently. Not in my book anyway. I am with you though, would love to see him on fire in the big matches.

By the term 'downhill skier' im referring to as only being able to go one way. As in, when the opposition has the ball its too much hard work, he couldnt give a shit. He prances around, jogs in slow motion whilst looking at his biceps and pretty much does sweet FA expect bark orders and point fingers.

By the term 'downhill skier' im referring to as only being able to go one way. As in, when the opposition has the ball its too much hard work, he couldnt give a shit. He prances around, jogs in slow motion whilst looking at his biceps and pretty much does sweet FA expect bark orders and point fingers.

The bloke is just too slow. Even if he wanted to make those contests and run back defensively he isn't quick enough to do it. When it's a congested type of game he can have an impact but against teams like Hawthorn tomorrow night he has little impact as they spread and move too quickly for him to keep up.

The bloke is just too slow. Even if he wanted to make those contests and run back defensively he isn't quick enough to do it. When it's a congested type of game he can have an impact but against teams like Hawthorn tomorrow night he has little impact as they spread and move too quickly for him to keep up.

I agree CFH. He is exactly that, slow, and this is why he doesnt deserve the big bucks. I dont doubt his determination (when the ball is in dispute, this is why its pisses me off so much at his lack of effort when the opposition has it) and contested possesion abilities but his 'slowness' defensively is quickly transferring itself to his offensive side as well. Getting caught holding the ball way too much for my liking.

We expect Scully and Jamar to be loyal, yet we make judgement calls on reigning Bluey winners because we can draft somebody better.

Some of you are acting like fools.

Moloney needs to get his shit (attitude and form) on track, but we know he's a fantastic ambassador for the club.

We expect Scully and Jamar to be loyal, yet we make judgement calls on reigning Bluey winners because we can draft somebody better.

Moloney needs to get his shit (attitude and form) on track, but we know he's a fantastic ambassador for the club.

In what way? And I am being serious here, want to see your thoughts on why he is a fantastic ambassador for the club.

Wrong, i didnt expect Scully to be loyal at all. Read the Scully thread, in no way did i blame him for turning his back on that cash, no way.

Here's the thing now, its a different era, with FA the AFL is becoming more Americanised by the year. I love the NBA and the NFL and hard decision's by players and clubs (monetry wise) are made every year.

You would be alarmed by the player movement in those two leagues, its massive, i dont ever expect the AFL to get to weekly trades like what happens in the NBA, but we all need to get our head around this, the times are a changin and loyalty will sadly become irrelevant. Its a buisness, for club and players.

Wise moves need to be made, payroll managment plays a massive part in success in the NBA and NFL, give one big contract out to a player who doesnt perform to it can through out the whole balance and hinder any moves you can make (trade wise) for years to come. Paying overs for a player who is past his best will set us back massively (see Davey), im not saying i want Moloney gone, i just dont want to pay a ridiculous sum to keep him.

There is no doubt Moloney has been one of our best players for the last few years.

But as Rude and CFH have pointed out very well and I completley agree with - Moloney best is past him and he is a limited player who is out of place in Neelds game plan, which is all about accountibility which he lacks (either by choice or lack of defensive skill)

If he decides to walk out on the club to chase glory or money or whatever, I don't blame him and I will be the first to say thank you for your service and good luck. There is only a short time a player gets in AFL.

The fact he has won a Bluey shouldn't come anywhere near consideration in his contract. We need to look at his value going forward no looking backwards.

We as a club reflect too much on the past - it's time to get tough and make good decisions for the future - And paying over for a limited player such as Moloney is not in our best interest.

Wrong, i didnt expect Scully to be loyal at all. Read the Scully thread, in no way did i blame him for turning his back on that cash, no way.

Here's the thing now, its a different era, with FA the AFL is becoming more Americanised by the year. I love the NBA and the NFL and hard decision's by players and clubs (monetry wise) are made every year.

You would be alarmed by the player movement in those two leagues, its massive, i dont ever expect the AFL to get to weekly trades like what happens in the NBA, but we all need to get our head around this, the times are a changin and loyalty will sadly become irrelevant. Its a buisness, for club and players.

Wise moves need to be made, payroll managment plays a massive part in success in the NBA and NFL, give one big contract out to a player who doesnt perform to it can through out the whole balance and hinder any moves you can make (trade wise) for years to come. Paying overs for a player who is past his best will set us back massively (see Davey), im not saying i want Moloney gone, i just dont want to pay a ridiculous sum to keep him.

I think i'll just let Rude talk........

He keeps summing up what I is trying to say nicely :D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Beamer to test waters of free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back