Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

The original D9 was Jarrod Molloy whose daughter plays for us, he was strong but not the swiftest. This guy is more like a D9 with afterburners.

I think Jarrad is Chloe Molloy’s uncle. And her brother is now on our VFL list.

I'm honoured to say I was self-checking out at Woolies alongside the great man tonight.

I was taken aback by how big Beau is in person. I'm a pretty tall guy, around 6'4", and he couldn't have been more than an inch or two under that.

But not just the height - he's an absolute beast of a kid. Built like a truck. I randomly walked past Sam Docherty and Nic Newman at Vic Gardens the other day (I'm having a very footballer kind of week apparently) and Beau absolutely dwarfs both of them for size. He looks like he'd bench more than both of them combined (and neither of them are small lads).

And he's 21 years old.

Kid's a physical beast. Super excited to watch him continue to grow as a footballer. He's fast becoming an absolute favourite.

On the form he showed against the Dees he has more potential than just as a defensive forward all be it a good one, he has power pace real kicking penetration and he dobbed one also from a free kick he earned and as someone else remarked he had a real impact on other people scoring also.

His best and most exciting game for Collingwood it showed he may be able to be used in more important areas than just forward pocket good on you Beau for showing you are more than most of us credit you for.

I'm honoured to say I was self-checking out at Woolies alongside the great man tonight.

I was taken aback by how big Beau is in person. I'm a pretty tall guy, around 6'4", and he couldn't have been more than an inch or two under that.

But not just the height - he's an absolute beast of a kid. Built like a truck. I randomly walked past Sam Docherty and Nic Newman at Vic Gardens the other day (I'm having a very footballer kind of week apparently) and Beau absolutely dwarfs both of them for size. He looks like he'd bench more than both of them combined (and neither of them are small lads).

And he's 21 years old.

Kid's a physical beast. Super excited to watch him continue to grow as a footballer. He's fast becoming an absolute favourite.
Had the same thoughts at yesterday’s player sponsorship breakfast. Not only taller than I thought, but significantly broader too. As someone who goes to VFL games it’s not often I come away with those thoughts. It put into perspective his reported strength and also his tackling ability.

Our young crop is looking great.

Quaynor, Ginni, HenrY , Naicos, Beau as a start.

If we can manage to get 2 of Reef, Poulter or Macrae to come on as well , that would be a tremendous start to a rebuild

Im tottally in the dark of last years draftees apart from Nick
I think you are spot on the Pies have a fine crop coming through, the boys from last years draft Murley,Harrison and maybe now Draper are showing a few signs what would be good is to get a couple of KPP out of Begg,Dean and Liam.

I think you are spot on the Pies have a fine crop coming through, the boys from last years draft Murley,Harrison and maybe now Draper are showing a few signs what would be good is to get a couple of KPP out of Begg, Dean and Liam.

Thats great re last years crop , really strange , i usually know a lot about who we draft , these three boys i wouldnt have a clue

Bang on , a couple of KP would be fantastic. Still hopeful for Kruger also to be that slightly older foil for any younger KP players, loved what i saw of him the human wrecking ball.

McCreery is not clean enough to be a mid and nor are disposal skills strong enough. Maybe as a tagger against a beast like Dangerfield or Martyn. What he is a great role player up forward. Super budget Cyril in terms of being able to apply pressure. If he can kick 1-2 goals a game even better.
I don't know about that. To me he is super clean, and his disposals more often than not hit their mark. the sky is the limit for Beau, he's tracking beautifully and is fast becoming my favourite player.

And he's 21 years old.

Don't know often you go to Vic Gardens, but I see Mase there at least once a month.

Over the last few weeks he's starting to win more ball up the ground and this has been particularly evident and crucial in some final quarters.

If this has been a tactical move by McRae it's a very good one as his mix of speed and power through the centre of the ground (especially late in games) has caught the opposition flat footed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You obviously haven’t been watching him and sure as hell didn’t watch his Melbourne highlights.

Why would you want to have a Ferrari standing and minding a Datsun?

The kids skill set is a ball carrier and line breaker. His hidden talents of living to hurt players is just his bonus.

The kid will grow into one of our best midfielders in years to come. Let’s not stifle him before he even starts. As to use him as a tagger. Geez Louise….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McCreery's highest posession game is 13. Good luck sustaining those numbers on-ball without providing something else.

Over the last few weeks he's starting to win more ball up the ground and this has been particularly evident and crucial in some final quarters.

If this has been a tactical move by McRae it's a very good one as his mix of speed and power through the centre of the ground (especially late in games) has caught the opposition flat footed.

I think it's a great move. It's really improved McCreery's ability to affect the play. He's a high impact per possession player.

As has been pointed out by others, his hands at ground level are not at the same standard as his other gifts, but it is something he may be able to develop further if he consistently gets time up the ground, and it’s not a strength of Jordy’s either. There’s a ton to work with otherwise.

I agree with that Sav. All except he is as close to Dangerfield as anyone. Not DeGoey. DeGoey isn’t selfless.
It's not selfish to be the one who takes responsibility for taking the game on. Someone has to and a lot don't want to take the risks of stuffing up, and thus leave it to others.

McCreery is not clean enough to be a mid and nor are disposal skills strong enough. Maybe as a tagger against a beast like Dangerfield or Martyn. What he is a great role player up forward. Super budget Cyril in terms of being able to apply pressure. If he can kick 1-2 goals a game even better.

He’s cleaner than Adams, so playing midfield is not an issue.
Disposal skills? Did you see his pinpoint kick to Elliot on QB in the last QTR?
He’s got all the skills to be an excellent mid.

McCreery's highest posession game is 13. Good luck sustaining those numbers on-ball without providing something else.
To be fair, those numbers are from him playing as a pressure forward, not as a midfielder.

I can see the potential for him to be burst midfielder similar to what Elliott has become, he's got the speed to break away from packs.

In general though I think he needs to find a better balance between when to go for the ball himself and the unselfish off the ball plays, but I think that'll come with experience.

He’s cleaner than Adams, so playing midfield is not an issue.
Disposal skills? Did you see his pinpoint kick to Elliot on QB in the last QTR?
He’s got all the skills to be an excellent mid.

No he's not.

Don't get me wrong here I love McCreery and I like the optimism about him.

He hasn't yet shown the ability to accumulate the footy which will limit him in midfield.

In time sure he may be get there like Macaffer once did but at the moment it's a stretch to expect him to play and contribute in that role.

I can only see it if he tags but I'd only go there on an in game needs basis when other options have failed.

While he is going so well at half forward don't mess with it.

No he's not.

Don't get me wrong here I love McCreery and I like the optimism about him.

He hasn't yet shown the ability to accumulate the footy which will limit him in midfield.

In time sure he may be get there like Macaffer once did but at the moment it's a stretch to expect him to play and contribute in that role.

I can only see it if he tags but I'd only go there on an in game needs basis when other options have failed.

While he is going so well at half forward don't mess with it.
Can’t agree - Adams fumbling this season has been an unfortunate reality.
Like all players trying a new position, McCreery will need time to get used to playing midfield, but I don’t see any skill deficiency that precludes him from making it.

Can’t agree - Adams fumbling this season has been an unfortunate reality.
Like all players trying a new position, McCreery will need time to get used to playing midfield, but I don’t see any skill deficiency that precludes him from making it.

The ability to win the footy/accumulate is a skill deficiency.

The ability to win the footy/accumulate is a skill deficiency.
It depends if it's role related. If you take out the game where he was sub and didn't play, he's actually averaging similar possessions to our other full time forwards.

Who knows what he could do in another role.

He's one I'm surprised that they haven't discouraged the shepherd more than they have. With his pace, power and kicking skills, we'd be better off having him peel off to receive rather than shepherd.

Not one that more midfield exposure won’t fix IMO.
Small Fwds always have low stats in those areas.
He has size, strength, aggression and speed so winning, and accumulating the footy will not be an issue given those traits.

Those things aren't the only things needed to win the footy. It's about running patterns as much as anything else. I appreciate it isn't his current role but even in that role you'd expect to see some nous for it. I'm not even down on him playing midfield I just think it needs to be in a tagging role because I don't think he'll win enough footy to justify it as a pure midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back