Toast Before this place explodes with negativity..

Remove this Banner Ad

Chill a bit, the rest of the season is all winnable.
The only matches we shouldn't win are against St Kilda, Collingwood and WBD, but we play well against those 3 teams, Hawthorn and Carlton should be difficult but we have the wood on them both.
The others are North Melbourne, Richmond, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane at home.

Realistically we knew tonight was going to happen, as long as we perform solidly for the rest of the season we have a decent path to the 8.
The hardest part of the season is over now.

Papering over the cracks. We have to win 7 of our last 10 to make finals. Highly doubtful we will get there. We just arent good enough yet.

We should be a top eight team. So why aren't we??

Why: Because although we have great potential with our key positions, our centre line is arguably the worst in the league. Until this is addressed we will continue to sruggle.

If we make the eight it will be a miracle.

They're the best side in the AFL, we're not. Saying that I would've liked more effort in the second half but I can't say I couldn't see it happening.

Well, not playing McVeigh in the middle is a bit silly, he is a good lock down player when needed but Slattery is back now so get him going in the mid, he is a great kick into the fifty. Lonergan isn't good enough for a midfield role doesn't get the ball enough.
Jetta should be played in the middle now that he has the cardio, probably should have been on Varcoe. Winderlich needs some confidence but we cannot drop our entire midfield back to the magoos.

Papering over the cracks. We have to win 7 of our last 10 to make finals. Highly doubtful we will get there. We just arent good enough yet.

if bloody hawks can make a comeback and slide into the 8, i dont see why we can't.

and p.s. i find it funny that welsh was suspended for 4 weeks and we win 4 in a row, he gets back in the team and we've lost the last 2. not blaming his performance, just find it funny:D

Well, not playing McVeigh in the middle is a bit silly, he is a good lock down player when needed but Slattery is back now so get him going in the mid, he is a great kick into the fifty. Lonergan isn't good enough for a midfield role doesn't get the ball enough.
Jetta should be played in the middle now that he has the cardio, probably should have been on Varcoe. Winderlich needs some confidence but we cannot drop our entire midfield back to the magoos.

any dissection of where we went wrong, right, whatever is pointless

we played one of the best sides of the modern era & got what we deserved, when we get back to playing 'normal' teams again, she'll be right

know you know how opposition supporters felt in 2000, suxs eh?:D

and p.s. i find it funny that welsh was suspended for 4 weeks and we win 4 in a row, he gets back in the team and we've lost the last 2. not blaming his performance, just find it funny:D

Haha! Nice stat.
Did you see him spud? Froze up in the first quarter when it was passed to him, in EVERY sport you learn when you first start not to get caught flat footed, he does it in EVERY contest, I don't know how anybody rates him.

Two weeks in a row we have been smashed in the clearances. Our midfield needs major reworking if we are to become a threat in the next couple of years. Great effort by Hurley tonight, who looked really dangerous but he just couldn't get enough ball. Felt sorry for the defence as they were under siege in the second half.

Do we have the midfield to go to the next level. Not even talking flag windows, but from 8th last year to 5th or 6th.

Paddy, Jobe and Milky are the only ones I would want to keep in our engine room.

Meh, doesn't really affect our finals chances (the Sydney loss made a big dent however). I think most realistically had this one penned as a loss. It only matters if we let it affect our preparation for next week, cos that has to be the start of a long streak... Finger's crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how there is any positivity in that game....
I hate watching weak players like Wojinski & Kelly making Essendon players look like bitches. I will be sick if I see it again.
I feel like Zaka11 a bit & hope not to be too negative about it but that was an arse whoop.
They were prime for the picking this week & altough we had a few out also we never even got close.
Very dissapointing!

Two weeks in a row we have been smashed in the clearances. Our midfield needs major reworking if we are to become a threat in the next couple of years. Great effort by Hurley tonight, who looked really dangerous but he just couldn't get enough ball. Felt sorry for the defence as they were under siege in the second half.

The midfield problem has existed for about 7 years now!! Our midfield is sub-standard. Jobe is a good clearance player but his disposal lets him down badly. Stanton hasn't learn to handle a hard tag, Winderlich is hot and cold, Myers is only just starting to show something, Lonergan isn't good enough, Spike seems to be a permanent back at this stage of his career and Welsh isn't up to it. We have no class in there. How things could have been diferent with Joel Selwood, Cyril Rioli, even Barlow more recently.

Chill a bit, the rest of the season is all winnable.
The only matches we shouldn't win are against St Kilda, Collingwood and WBD, but we play well against those 3 teams, Hawthorn and Carlton should be difficult but we have the wood on them both.
The others are North Melbourne, Richmond, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane at home.

Am I misreading this somehow? First you say the rest of the season is winnable, then state that we shouldn't win against 3 teams which is 33% and mention 2 more which, although we have some sort of "wood" over, I think are HIGHLY likely of finally beating us as they've gone ahead 100% more than us lately. This brings the tally to 50% and the other 5 are all risks IMHO.

I think we shouldn't have played finals last year and this year will put us right back where we probably are at this stage - a VERY middle rung team, out of the 8, with YEARS of development ahead of us!

Do we have the midfield to go to the next level. Not even talking flag windows, but from 8th last year to 5th or 6th.

Paddy, Jobe and Milky are the only ones I would want to keep in our engine room.

We have lacked A Class/Elite mids for 7-8 seasons, and unfortunately our recent drafting of midfielders (before this year) has been shocking, although Myers is showing signs that he could become that midfielder we all hoped for. We need to throw everything at Travis Boak when he is off contract.

I hate watching weak players like Wojinski & Kelly making Essendon players look like bitches. I will be sick if I see it again.
I feel like Zaka11 a bit & hope not to be too negative about it but that was an arse whoop.
They were prime for the picking this week & altough we had a few out also we never even got close.
Very dissapointing!

Wojo, yeh he lacks a bit of poise and spuds it up at times.
Kelly is an elite midfielder with sublime foot skills and an uncompromising attack on the football. Love it how he is not rated and continues to carve up the opposition. :D

I'm not too worried about this loss (although I'm not happy about the margin). The real worry is the games after this round. It looks like it's going to be a tough task to get into the eight with so many teams around the same amount of wins so we're not allowed to lose too many from now on.

As for this game, we were playing average and Geelong took advantage of it. Once they got a few goals up we fell apart. Not good to watch but it makes us look worse than we are.

Very dissapointing!

I agree about the above two soft pretty boy front runners. Wojonski absolutely crapped himself when he had to go for a mark at one stage. Even worse than Dempsey did in the last quarter when he 'mis judged'/ run himself under the ball at centre half back. Kelly pretending to sleep during the song the other week what a w nker. I for one will be very pleased to see the smug Geelong players and supporters once they start their decline (whenever that will be).

We have lacked A Class/Elite mids for 7-8 seasons, and unfortunately our recent drafting of midfielders (before this year) has been shocking, although Myers is showing signs that he could become that midfielder we all hoped for. We need to throw everything at Travis Boak when he is off contract.

A ball watcher who looses his opponent with ease? Did he go back in the centre after qtr time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Before this place explodes with negativity..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back