Ben Cousins wants a coaching role.

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be a good thing for him I think and would probably assist him in his life, and be an asset to a club.

I don't think he's a bad person and everyone deserves second or even third chances.

He might not be a "bad" person, but a quick look at the slimy individuals who he willingly chose to associate with over the past decade - even before the gear took over his life - reveals he is someone with extremely poor judgment.

And while I think people deserve second chances, I'm not sure they deserve 8th or 9th ones.

If he can stay on track for 3-5 years and prove he's worthy of trust, then clubs might start looking at him.

Everything about the bloke starts with "Ben Cousins wants...", doesn't it? Personal observation.

How shitted off would the next Mark Neeld/Brendan McCartney be, guys who've worked themselves into higher & higher levels, no doubt putting in hours over & above; to get shafted for a bloke who's been off the rails for the best part of the decade, purely because of his name?
Can just imagine some poor club getting sucked into doing it, too.

I'd love to see Ben enter the real world, and hold down a low-profile job - footy or otherwise - for a year or three, and work his way back in on merit.
I'd hate to see Ben snap his fingers, again, and get what he wants, again.

Just imaging the conversations all the recruiting people would have to have

"Hi Mrs Smith.

Yep, we would probably take young Johnnie in the later rounds of the main draft, and definitely if he's still there as a rookie. We think he's got a lot of potential.

Cousins? Yep, Benny, yeah he's with us, he's doing great now.

No, not any more. Promise.

Yeah the doco was great, wasn't it? The back of an ambulance bit. I nearly died. Umm, laughing. Anyway the show was a cracker. Erm, so to speak.

No, I swear, straight as an arrow. Well, on what he's told me.

Relapsed? Yeah, I know, 4 times; but he's straight now. He promised.

Bikies? He swears he doesn't talk to them any more. Swears black and blue.

Yeah, actually you're right, he still does talk to that one bloke. But apart from him.

So... would you want little Johnnie to come to <insert club here> ? "

How shitted off would the next Mark Neeld/Brendan McCartney be, guys who've worked themselves into higher & higher levels, no doubt putting in hours over & above; to get shafted for a bloke who's been off the rails for the best part of the decade, purely because of his name?

Cuz would instantly offer more than both those blokes combined as a midfield coach/advisor.. Even in a non official capacity.

If he restricted his contact with players to just the period of time at the club/training and had zero social interaction with players then Cousins would be a great coach because he worked damn hard and given he was off his ****ing nut and still played to an exceptional level it just shows how hard he worked. A lot of players really need to learn what kind of effort and work rate is required to be elite.

He is just a massive risk off-field though.

I watched that little news snippet, young Benny was high as a kite:) open your eyes people he does his best work when he's of his dial

The two ain't mutually exclusive
Not sure you understood what I said.

You don't pick a bowler to play in the test team because his batting is better. You just pick the best bowler.

You don't hire an assistant coach so you can help him through his drug problems. You hire the best guy available. If that person is Cousins, then you help him out.

'Ben Cousins wants a coaching role' sounds much better than the usual headline of 'Ben Cousins wants an 8 ball of meth'

I'm happy for him, if he wants a job and wants to get back into football related work then I'm over the moon about that, anything to take his mind off snorting lines and twirling pipes is a good thing imo.

He'd have to build up first though, he can't expect to get an AFL level coaching role he'd probably have to prove himself at a low level then hopefully get into WAFL and so on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrothelBen would make a perfect coach - for a club with absolutely no regard for their culture or "duty of care" (legal and moral) for their players

BrothelBen would make a perfect coach - for a club with absolutely no regard for their culture or "duty of care" (legal and moral) for their players
He's just what your hopeless Club needs given that it doesn't have any culture at all.

I watched that little news snippet, young Benny was high as a kite:) open your eyes people he does his best work when he's of his dial

And you're an expert I presume?:rolleyes:

Everything about the bloke starts with "Ben Cousins wants...", doesn't it? Personal observation.

Well it isn't going to be 'Media want BC to coach is it'

The media ask and approach individuals for stories. They get an inch and they extrapolate.

I'd have Cousins at the Hawks
<INSERT JOKES HERE>

ithink he'd be great. maybe his life experiences can also be apart if his teaching. id prefer to learn and have my son learn from someone who has experienced the highs and lows. doesnt mean every player he coaches will derail. i expect it would have the opposite effect.

First he has to get over his addiction & stay clean for a few years, before any club would take the risk to hire him.

The Dogs have a bloke in their set up right ...

ithink he'd be great. maybe his life experiences can also be apart if his teaching. id prefer to learn and have my son learn from someone who has experienced the highs and lows. doesnt mean every player he coaches will derail. i expect it would have the opposite effect.
Only his mother or a Richmond supporter would post such nonsense...

'Ben Cousins wants a coaching role' sounds much better than the usual headline of 'Ben Cousins wants an 8 ball of meth'

I'm happy for him, if he wants a job and wants to get back into football related work then I'm over the moon about that, anything to take his mind off snorting lines and twirling pipes is a good thing imo.

He'd have to build up first though, he can't expect to get an AFL level coaching role he'd probably have to prove himself at a low level then hopefully get into WAFL and so on.

Did you sleep with Cousins? You seem all over the guy. Just an observation.

And I do kind of agree with what you're saying.

Can you imagine all the mothers though when little Johnny gets drafted West and Ben is coach? Or even at a lower level. Mentoring 15 year olds? Pandemonium.

"So fellas this is how you roll the bulb just right to get maximum hits out of this grade A crack rock"

Did you sleep with Cousins? You seem all over the guy. Just an observation.

Was one of my favourite players for years, he was basically the only reason i started liking footy again when i was 15 or 16.

I was really cut when I found out he was a raging ice addict though, i liked the way he would party and so on but all the jokes are over once you find out he's mentally ill

can also admit i've learnt a lot from him and it has all helped me in life positively, i just had to concentrate on the positives and ignore his off field behaviour

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Cousins wants a coaching role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back