Ben Cunnington vs Tom Liberatore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Minson had a shocking day.

I don't know, because Liberatore is fit enough to play midfield all day. Just had a bad day today.

You keep parroting Cunnington's TOG as a reason he'll improve, yet ignore that the fact he is coming off a full preseason and still can't stay on the park without needing to rest up forward is a reason he's not as good as Liberatore.

TOG aside, they're just about dead even this year. Libba has slightly more possessions but Cunnington has hit the scoreboard. Then once you take into account TOG you'd have to say Cunnington's been better. It's not as if we're playing with 17 men during the extra 20 minutes he spends on the bench.

It makes perfect sense to use TOG and time spent resting forward to project to the future. Many of the games elite mids today were in a similar situation during the early part of their careers.

Brad Scott would be proud of that spin.

No matter what, you'd prefer the player who can proide great output the whole game. Not the guy who needs to spend an extra 20 mins on the bench.

Brad Scott would be proud of that spin.

No matter what, you'd prefer the player who can proide great output the whole game. Not the guy who needs to spend an extra 20 mins on the bench.

Their output has been equal anyway mate.

But when projecting for the next 10 years you'd have to say the bloke with an extra 20 minutes up his sleeve has greater upside.

Their output has been equal anyway mate.

But when projecting for the next 10 years you'd have to say the bloke with an extra 20 minutes up his sleeve has greater upside.

No on output Liberatore is ahead. Also, you are assuming Cunnington will end up making up those extra 20 minutes.

All this while Liberatore doesn't improve at all.

No on output Liberatore is ahead. Also, you are assuming Cunnington will end up making up those extra 20 minutes.

All this while Liberatore doesn't improve at all.

Why is Libba ahead? Yes I am assuming he'll make up those minutes. How many senior midfielders can only spent 60-65% of the game in the midfield. Multiple preseasons will get him there.

Why is Libba ahead? Yes I am assuming he'll make up those minutes. How many senior midfielders can only spent 60-65% of the game in the midfield. Multiple preseasons will get him there.
Majority of football followers accept Libba is the better player.....Thats not to say young Cunnington wont turn into a good player one day either because he might

And over these multiple pre-seasons I guess Liberatore isn't getting fitter and better? Cunnington isn't the only young mid with room for improvement in this comparison.

Liberatore is a year younger but averages more disposals, marks, tackles (although these are very similar) and less frees against over his career.

Meanwhile the adept resting forward Cunnington averages .1 more goals.

And over these multiple pre-seasons I guess Liberatore isn't getting fitter and better? Cunnington isn't the only young mid with room for improvement in this comparison.

Liberatore is a year younger but averages more disposals, marks, tackles (although these are very similar) and less frees against over his career.

That's using career stats. It's no secret that Cunnington was just about useless for his first 2 and a half years. That is irrelevant now. He's averaging 23 disposals a game in his last 11 which is good in itself. When you consider how much time he spends off the ground it's an outstanding effort. If you look at the votes he polled in our B&F over the last 9 rounds he was well ahead of the next best.

Of course Libba will improve as well but he's not going to have an extra 20 minutes of footy added to his game. We've seen the likes of Swan, Ablett, Watson, Kennedy and Dangerfield explode 4-5 years into their career once they've had the tank to spend the majority of the game in the midfield.

Of course Libba will improve as well but he's not going to have an extra 20 minutes of footy added to his game. We've seen the likes of Swan, Ablett, Watson, Kennedy and Dangerfield explode 4-5 years into their career once they've had the tank to spend the majority of the game in the midfield.

While Cunnington spends more work getting his fitness up to an acceptable standard for an AFL mid Liberatore can focus on other areas of his game to step up in.

Cunnington's ability to rest forward and kick goals will be a critical asset as he improve his endurance as a midfielder. That extra versatility and flexibility makes me believe he has more upside then Liberatore who is already a young gun.

I don't know how Libba goes up forward, but if you don't actually think Cunnington is decent down forward I suggest you watch him more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how Libba goes up forward, but if you don't actually think Cunnington is decent down forward I suggest you watch him more.
Where did I say he wasn't?

Daz asked if Liberatore has goalkicking in his repetoire, because cunnington does. And Liberatore does too, is more of a goalkicking mid than a mid who rests up forward though. Very good set shot and can finish from 50 on either foot.

Daz asked if Liberatore has goalkicking in his repetoire, because cunnington does. And Liberatore does too, is more of a goalkicking mid than a mid who rests up forward though. Very good set shot and can finish from 50 on either foot.

"The adept resting forward" comment sounded pretty sarcastic.

He's kicked 4 goals from his games this season and last so he's hardly a goalkicking mid. Cunnington has kicked 13 in the same space of time.

Cunnington's ability to rest forward and kick goals will be a critical asset as he improve his endurance as a midfielder. That extra versatility and flexibility makes me believe he has more upside then Liberatore who is already a young gun.
I strongly disagree from what i have seen so far.

10 touches five effective on the weekend from Libba.
It was a bad game sure but Richmond were all over us, completely (you must surely know something about this? Wouldn't ya) not surprised his skills weren't very good, but yeah it would have been nice to see him step up. Anyway how dare a 20 year old play a bad game.

Libbas vision and skills will make him turn out the better player IMO.

Measuring miniscule developments judged on the next game every week is futile depending on who the other plays. A better idea for this years development will be known in another five or so weeks.

Tom goes very well Bulldog supporters should be excited by what they have.
Cunners is now established as a starter im happy about that his development & output are increasing. The ceiling for him is unknown but certainly restricted unless game time can be developed. Tom does not appear to have this as an issue and is a great coalface footballer.

Cunnington was knocked out in the Majak incident today. Spent most of the day up forward after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back