Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on yesterdays performance looking forward, I'd comfortably take Aish over Kennedy, he showed why the Lions board and supporters had a melt-down of nuclear proportions when he had nominated our club.
I wasn't happy with him yesterday, there was a 1 on 1 and he was just off it in perfect position to come over the top and spoil and he just watched and let him mark it. It was shithouse.

Trading Kennedy wasn't the problem. Recruiting so many small average skilled players around that time has killed us. Doing it with picks from trading out better players makes it worse.

We are where our list management strategy has put us. We are slow and poorly skilled and there are ex Collingwood players playing in better sides than ours. Our premature list rebuild has backfired and we will now rebuild from a worse position than we would have ever ben in otherwise and we don't have a first round pick next year to start the process. Talk about mismanagement.
There's more to our poor foot skills than recruiting. If you go through all the players we've drafted since 2012 a very very high percentage of them were rated to have excellent foot skills as juniors. Whether the composure to execute under pressure isn't there or there are other factors at play, I'm not sure but I'm a firm believer that the recruiting and list management wasn't the issue.

Kennedy as a junior was an elite kick of the footy, wtf happened?

There's more to our poor foot skills than recruiting. If you go through all the players we've drafted since 2012 a very very high percentage of them were rated to have excellent foot skills as juniors. Whether the composure to execute under pressure isn't there or there are other factors at play, I'm not sure but I'm a firm believer that the recruiting and list management wasn't the issue.

He had to start using full size footys. :p

Confidence improves skill - per Sat night game - commentators mentioned how Adel had dramatically improved their skills rankings compared to last year.
I doubt that players would be picked in the draft if they faired poorly in the kicking drills at the draft camp - so confidence is a huge factor.
When I saw BK kick a running goal from outside 50 a few weeks ago it just reinforced this belief.

I am not convinced. I don't watch junior footy and don't place huge emphasis on the marketing brochure that comes with draftees. We had an issue with pace and footskills and we added short, poorly skilled, medium pacers.

We got unlucky with Freeman and Sharrenburg's injuries but we lost Freeman anyway and we let Seedsman go after losing Wellingham. Whatever anyone's view of those two players they have the run and kicking ability we desperately need. Kennedy was always going to struggle for a spot with so many like players. As it is we lost Josh Thomas and Broomhead has had some injuries and we still have too many short plodders turning the ball over.

The exits and the intake onto our list has been a bigger part of where we are now than Buckley's raw footy coaching. How much his man management has had to do with exits is a matter for debate - most on these boards seem to think it has had little impact but I can't swallow that that. There have been too many exits and too much bad blood. Now we lack talent and spirit. Results can only end one way on that basis.

Game plan game plan game plan.

We have seen it enough over the years where an average player suddenly looks good because of a good game plan.

If it's a good system where you know where your team mates will be structurally and team mates are running into space to give you options, then obviously your kicking and ability to hit targets looks better but it's more to do with the style of play than skills itself.

And vice versa

Round 1 - Kennedy 21 touches, 1 goal.

Round 2 - Kennedy 21 touches, 3 goals.

Round 3 - Kennedy 15 touches. Howe 8 touches, 1 goal.

Round 4 - Kennedy 22 touches, 1 goal. Howe 14 touches.

Howe is a lazy footballer, hope I'm wrong because he has the ability and potential, but I can't see him changing.

So far we've gotten more out of Kennedy than we ever got out of Howe.

Last edited:
I wasn't happy with him yesterday, there was a 1 on 1 and he was just off it in perfect position to come over the top and spoil and he just watched and let him mark it. It was shithouse.
Saw that. 1st quarter. Punt Road end I believe. Looked very ordinary. On the Kennedy V Howe conversation, its fair to say that Howe has done absolutely SFA at this stage and the Dees comfortably in front. Been very disappointed in Howe so far, although he probably gets a few games to get things clicking.

Game plan game plan game plan.

We have seen it enough over the years where an average player suddenly looks good because of a good game plan.

If it's a good system where you know where your team mates will be structurally and team mates are running into space to give you options, then obviously your kicking and ability to hit targets looks better but it's more to do with the style of play than skills itself.

And vice versa
Problem with us at the moment is not game plan. The problem is all about confidence and right now the players have very little. Game plans and player skills always look many times better when a team plays with confidence.

My issue with all this is I think we paid overs for Jeremy Howe as we gave up Kennedy and pick 32 for Jeremy Howe and Pick 68 (probably Rupert Wills). Going forward I would have preferred Kennedy on our list to Jarryd Blair as his weakness was always composure which I think with confidence and given his pace he would get with a fair go in the 1's. I think his upside is there and good luck to him at the dees. Howe to me is talented but over rated and I hope he proves me wrong. I think we are hoping for a poor mans Gunston which I doubt he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 - Kennedy 21 touches, 1 goal.

Round 2 - Kennedy 21 touches, 3 goals.

Round 3 - Kennedy 15 touches. Howe 8 touches, 1 goal.

Round 4 - Kennedy 22 touches, 1 goal. Howe 14 touches.

Howe is a lazy footballer, hope I'm wrong because he has the ability and potential, but I can't see him changing.

So far we've gotten more out of Kennedy than we ever got out of Howe.
I don't think he ever got near that # of dispposals with us!?

I don't think he ever got near that # of dispposals with us!?
Got 18 or 20 possessions and almost won us the game vs GC a couple of years ago. Then was dropped the next week :drunk:

Realistically Howe should get better as he has had no preseason, but I was baffled as to why the Pies wanted him so badly. You've got guys like Cloke/Moore/Gault/Cox/White to play tall up forward, Fasolo can play tall or small despite his height and Blair plays small. Where does Howe fit into that?
Gault is awful and White is a pea heart who won't play beyond 2016. Cox is still very much a project player, and Moore will take time given his skinny frame. We actually need to recruit another tall genuine forward in all honesty.

Kennedy was a low draft pick we never really gave a chance to and now he's starting to show his worth. Poor from us as we need a small forward like him with pace.

Realistically Howe should get better as he has had no preseason, but I was baffled as to why the Pies wanted him so badly. You've got guys like Cloke/Moore/Gault/Cox/White to play tall up forward, Fasolo can play tall or small despite his height and Blair plays small. Where does Howe fit into that?
It was the other way round from what I read, he wanted us badly. On the first week of trade period Out recruiter said we would target Treloar and Aish and look to move the three guys that requested it.. He never mentioned Howe

Kennedy was a low draft pick we never really gave a chance to and now he's starting to show his worth. Poor from us as we need a small forward like him with pace.

He's an ordinary midget that still can't kick and wouldn't do diddly squat for our team. :rolleyes:

Not playing Kennedy, especially in 2014 was a terrible mistake that cost us a good player that majority of the supporter base could see.

Just like Seed watch what happens if they ever make the finals, short people get lost in those games.

He is not a small forward! The whole reason he's performing at Melbourne is because he's being played through the midfield, which is his natural position! Stop calling him a small forward please, it's getting tiresome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back