Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the other way round from what I read, he wanted us badly. On the first week of trade period Out recruiter said we would target Treloar and Aish and look to move the three guys that requested it.. He never mentioned Howe
I think we showed interest, without being super keen, but in turn he was super keen. Would explain why he came to us on significantly less coin than he was offered from GC and North.

I think kennedy has a point to prove at Melbourne, howe thinks he has already made it with a closet full of mark of the year awards. That is the harsh fact I am sorry.

I think kennedy has a point to prove at Melbourne, howe thinks he has already made it with a closet full of mark of the year awards. That is the harsh fact I am sorry.
Well it's not a fact, it's your opinion. You're probably correct in saying BK has a point to prove, but Howe is in the record saying he feels like he hasn't lived up to his potential yet either. At this stage it's a bit too early to tell how he'll perform for us given he's coming off an interrupted preseason, but his attitude at this point doesn't reflect your thoughts about him.

At this point Kennedy certainly gets the chocolates, but a sample size of only two games from an underdone Howe is hardly definitive.

I hope you're wrong and he does well although it will shit me.
Seeds has had an ok start to the year, but yeah, his game last week was hardly awe inspiring. He would have been lambasted on this board for it if I were to hazard a guess. 12 disposals at 58% efficiency. Two goals which is good, but if you take those two kicks out and look at his field kicking and handballing you have a 50% efficiency disposing to team mates. So half of his measly 10 field kicks and handballs resulted in turnovers. Not exactly a stellar performance despite the goals.

Round 1 - Kennedy 21 touches, 1 goal.

Round 2 - Kennedy 21 touches, 3 goals.

Round 3 - Kennedy 15 touches. Howe 8 touches, 1 goal.

Round 4 - Kennedy 22 touches, 1 goal. Howe 14 touches.

Howe is a lazy footballer, hope I'm wrong because he has the ability and potential, but I can't see him changing.

So far we've gotten more out of Kennedy than we ever got out of Howe.
Are you expecting him to kick 80 goals over the next 5 seasons?

Interesting comment from your old Captain Maxwell during the telecast last week. Something like "Kennedy has a chip on his shoulders" - maybe he wasn't a fit around the club in more ways than one?

Interesting comment from your old Captain Maxwell during the telecast last week. Something like "Kennedy has a chip on his shoulders" - maybe he wasn't a fit around the club in more ways than one?
I think it was in reference to his limited opportunities at the pies. Not surprising that he'd feel like he has something to prove.

I think it was in reference to his limited opportunities at the pies. Not surprising that he'd feel like he has something to prove.

The guy had plenty of opportunities here.

1. He never showed himself to be a good enough midfielder to move up the depth chart. We all knew he was a good mid, and showed it at VFL, but we have plenty of in the midfield, and when others were stepping up, Kennedy was showing to be wanting.
2. He was pretty useless as a small forward - the position where we had availability and didn't have as many others to compete with.

At the time of leaving - he hadn't shown anything to suggest he was good enough to get a spot in our midfield. If he's able to turn it on now that he has a "chip" on his shoulder - says more about him not trying to his full potential while he was here... if won't be the first time a player turns their career around after getting hit with the truth that a club thinks you aren't good enough.

The guy had plenty of opportunities here.

1. He never showed himself to be a good enough midfielder to move up the depth chart. We all knew he was a good mid, and showed it at VFL, but we have plenty of in the midfield, and when others were stepping up, Kennedy was showing to be wanting.
2. He was pretty useless as a small forward - the position where we had availability and didn't have as many others to compete with.

At the time of leaving - he hadn't shown anything to suggest he was good enough to get a spot in our midfield. If he's able to turn it on now that he has a "chip" on his shoulder - says more about him not trying to his full potential while he was here... if won't be the first time a player turns their career around after getting hit with the truth that a club thinks you aren't good enough.
Garrrrbage.

If you think that 'plenty of opportunities' is a good description of Kennedy's treatment, more power to you. But the truth is that he was never given a sustained run in the seniors, was made sub more times than any other player in the league, and was often dropped despite putting in a good performance. Who could forget him almost dragging us over the line against GC in 2014 with 18 disposals and two goals, only to be made the sub the next week! Must have done wonders for his confidence!

Justify it any way you like, but don't expect me to swallow the line that BK was given plenty of opportunities. Playing a quarter of footy then getting dropped back to the VFL isn't an opportunity, it's a joke.

Not playing Kennedy, especially in 2014 was a terrible mistake that cost us a good player that majority of the supporter base could see.
The new Ablett, yep we missed that....
Pity.
Just another trundler plying his trade.
Good luck to him, but Gary he ain't

He is not a small forward! The whole reason he's performing at Melbourne is because he's being played through the midfield, which is his natural position! Stop calling him a small forward please, it's getting tiresome.
Nailed it.
But that's TG, he just goes opposite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garrrrbage.

If you think that 'plenty of opportunities' is a good description of Kennedy's treatment, more power to you. But the truth is that he was never given a sustained run in the seniors, was made sub more times than any other player in the league, and was often dropped despite putting in a good performance. Who could forget him almost dragging us over the line against GC in 2014 with 18 disposals and two goals, only to be made the sub the next week! Must have done wonders for his confidence!

Justify it any way you like, but don't expect me to swallow the line that BK was given plenty of opportunities. Playing a quarter of footy then getting dropped back to the VFL isn't an opportunity, it's a joke.

You must be one of the guys that still wants Gault to get a chance, hey?

The guy got 25 senior games for ****s sake. Even if you are a sub there is a still a level of expectation required when you have been at AFL level for 3 years. How many times did Kennedy look completely lost at a contest - how many times did he have the ball and you could see him not knowing what to do with it.

Dont blame it on his times as a sub. Fas spent plenty of time as a sub early and made an impact. Blair would come on as a sub and fit straight into the pace of the game. Sammy Dwyer did pretty well when coming on as a sub. At this level, and when you've been in the system for 3 years, you start taking those opportunities... You don't chuck a sad and blame the coach coz you're not stepping up.

Garrrrbage.

No he wasn't given plenty of full opportunities.
Now he is, but it is Melbourne only.
Not that we are shining lights at the moment.
But realistically he wasn't going to ever get huge opportunities with Pendlebury, Swan, Treloar, De Goey, Adams, Greenwod, Sidebottom, Crisp likely ahead of him.
That was his misfortune.
Melbourne always liked him so good luck to him. But he's not and will never be elite, so he's not a defining player for us, so therefor no real loss.
Do agree though, he didn't get a good opportunity with us. And he's not a small forward type.

You must be one of the guys that still wants Gault to get a chance, hey?
No. I've always been in the 'Gault is rubbish' camp.
The guy got 25 senior games for ****s sake.
Stopped reading here. Nearly half those games he was given only a quarter or less to prove himself. No point in arguing this if you're going to class a sub game as a full senior game to suit your argument.

No. I've always been in the 'Gault is rubbish' camp.

Stopped reading here. Nearly half those games he was given only a quarter or less to prove himself. No point in arguing this if you're going to class a sub game as a full senior game to suit your argument.

Good job ignoring the bit where i compared his performances as sub to guys like Fasolo, Blair and Dwyer.

The new Ablett, yep we missed that....
Pity.
Just another trundler plying his trade.
Good luck to him, but Gary he ain't
I defined him as a good player not Gary Ablett, if Blair and the other spuds were good players we wouldn't have a percentage of 65% after 4 games with an easy schedule... Not to mention the hacks like Dwyer and Young that were getting games over him in 2014.

Good job ignoring the bit where i compared his performances as sub to guys like Fasolo, Blair and Dwyer.
You mean like against Melbourne last year when he came on in the last after we were smashed in the middle all day, got 9 disposals and several clearances and was then made sub again next week?

Spare me...

Garrrrbage.

Chris Scott said on 360 last week that he believed in backing his players and not giving them limited opportunities, he said he was never disappointed in giving them sustained games in the Seniors to settle in. Buckley was also sitting there and ruined the confidence of young players the way he would give them limited opportunities. Watch Seedsman develop now he has opportunity and the belief and backing of a coach.

Chris Scott said on 360 last week that he believed in backing his players and not giving them limited opportunities, he said he was never disappointed in giving them sustained games in the Seniors to settle in. Buckley was also sitting there and ruined the confidence of young players the way he would give them limited opportunities. Watch Seedsman develop now he has opportunity and the belief and backing of a coach.
Just on Seeds, can't really say he wasn't given opportunities. He was retained in the side quite a bit despite poor form, even rushed back in the seniors from injury after a couple of average VFL games at times. He didn't get the Kennedy treatment, his issue was he preferred to go out and party with the Orville boys rather than dedicate himself to his footy.

If he turns the corner at Adelaide it will be because he's moved away from his dickhead mates rather than being given more opportunities.

Can the BK supporters please explain where he would fit into the team if our mid field was at full strength?
Or which of our current midfield he would have replaced?
Or where he would fit in our best 22 - (please note at full strength Blair IS NOT in our best 22 so don't try that option).

Otherwise your protestations are meaningless - and therefore the club was right to trade BK!

Can the BK supporters please explain where he would fit into the team if our mid field was at full strength?
Or which of our current midfield he would have replaced?
Or where he would fit in our best 22 - (please note at full strength Blair IS NOT in our best 22 so don't try that option).

Otherwise your protestations are meaningless - and therefore the club was right to trade BK!
The problem with your argument No Spin is that teams are very rarely if ever at full strength. If you take your argument one step further we only need a playing list of 22 as the others are not needed if we are at full strength

The problem with your argument No Spin is that teams are very rarely if ever at full strength. If you take your argument one step further we only need a playing list of 22 as the others are not needed if we are at full strength

So you agree he is not in our best 22 - and now suggest he is a depth player. That's fine and I agree. But it's also the reason why he left - he didn't want to be a depth player

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Ben Kennedy v J.Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back