Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just spoken to someone in the know. The club had over 30 players on the track last Monday night and will be fielding a team. The club is still sourcing recruits and just really need some experienced players to help develop some young players. It would be awesome if they could get some players to jump on board and continue their progress. It's not all doom and gloom at Camp Reserve! It might actually be a great time for undecided players to join the ranks.
I thought those comments about going into recess were off the mark as I saw them training Monday night and they had a few on the track. I was told by someone in the know that having one team is still a possibility. They are in trouble but will go around in some form. Funnily enough the netball club has some of the best numbers they have had in years this year.

For those who don’t know Corowa Rutherglen in the Ovens and Murray announced internally they are going into recess for 2024. If that doesn’t wake a few people up in relation to how the game is going in country areas I don’t know what will. Again the stronger clubs get stronger and don’t want their little bubble damaged, same as here in Bendigo. Despite denials from the league I believe this decision has been made and will be made public later in the week.

Last edited:
I thought those comments about going into recess were off the mark as I saw them training Monday night and they had a few on the track. I was told by someone in the know that having one team is still a possibility. They are in trouble but will go around in some form. Funnily enough the netball club has some of the best numbers they have had in years this year.

For those who don’t know Corowa Rutherglen in the Ovens and Murray announced they are going into recess for 2024. If that doesn’t wake a few people up in relation to how the game is going in country areas I don’t know what will. Again the stronger clubs get stronger and don’t want their little bubble damaged, same as here in Bendigo.
It really is a great opportunity for players that are undecided and want to play major league football! Its been a proud club over the journey and I'm sure that they will rebuild. The stronger clubs in the O&M have basically harvested the best players from the weaker clubs. It's time for an overhaul of the points and salary cap . It's well known that a certain club in Melbourne are paying $350K to players this year.

I have just spoken to someone in the know. The club had over 30 players on the track last Monday night and will be fielding a team. The club is still sourcing recruits and just really need some experienced players to help develop some young players. It would be awesome if they could get some players to jump on board and continue their progress. It's not all doom and gloom at Camp Reserve! It might actually be a great time for undecided players to join the ranks.

I’ve heard they have 30 odd players but for the three teams and will only field reserves and thirds.

It really is a great opportunity for players that are undecided and want to play major league football! Its been a proud club over the journey and I'm sure that they will rebuild. The stronger clubs in the O&M have basically harvested the best players from the weaker clubs. It's time for an overhaul of the points and salary cap . It's well known that a certain club in Melbourne are paying $350K to players this year.
Couldnt agree more Ringo. There is a ‘last chance saloon’ type meeting in Corowa on Thursday night but I believe the decision has been made by the club. They have been pillaged by stronger clubs offering more money and benefits and the league and governing bodies just allow this to happen despite the protests by the club. This happens in lots of leagues and administrators just let it occur. As I have stated many times, clubs have agendas and dont care about the overall health of the game, just their own little patch and league administrators don’t want to ‘rock the boat’. Clubs in the Bendigo FNL like Castlemaine and Maryborough have suffered the same issue.

In regards to your comment about one club paying out that sort of coin, I could name at least 6 that I know of in Melbourne who are shelling out that sort of coin and other benefits to players and working around the so called salary cap and points arrangement. The whole system is a sham. Payments to netball playing partners is now very common place and is done in various forms. Anyone need a new deck or kitchen? 😀

Last edited:

And if country clubs started paying out that coin they would be broke in a couple of years and folding too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard they have 30 odd players but for the three teams and will only field reserves and thirds.
I don’t believe that to be true from my understanding Forest. If the club has one team (which is a possibility) it will be in the seniors. Based on what I saw I would be confident they have the full compliment of teams this year.

Couldnt agree more Ringo. There is a ‘last chance saloon’ type meeting in Corowa on Thursday night but I believe the decision has been made by the club. They have been pillaged by stronger clubs offering more money and benefits and the league and governing bodies just allow this to happen despite the protests by the club. This happens in lots of leagues and administrators just let it happen. As I have stated many times, clubs have agendas and dont care about the overall health of the game, just their own little patch and league administrators don’t want to ‘rock the boat’. Clubs in the Bendigo FNL like Castlemaine and Maryborough have suffered the same issue.

In regards to your comment about one club playing out that sort of coin, I could name at least 6 that I know of in Melbourne who are shelling out that sort of coin and other benefits to players and working around the so called salary cap and points arrangement. The whole system is a sham. Payments to netball playing partners is now very common place and is done in various forms. Anyone need a new deck or kitchen?

I’m hearing it’s definitely true - bloody sad for a club that old ! The oldest in Victoria I believe

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Couldnt agree more Ringo. There is a ‘last chance saloon’ type meeting in Corowa on Thursday night but I believe the decision has been made by the club. They have been pillaged by stronger clubs offering more money and benefits and the league and governing bodies just allow this to happen despite the protests by the club. This happens in lots of leagues and administrators just let it occur. As I have stated many times, clubs have agendas and dont care about the overall health of the game, just their own little patch and league administrators don’t want to ‘rock the boat’. Clubs in the Bendigo FNL like Castlemaine and Maryborough have suffered the same issue.

In regards to your comment about one club paying out that sort of coin, I could name at least 6 that I know of in Melbourne who are shelling out that sort of coin and other benefits to players and working around the so called salary cap and points arrangement. The whole system is a sham. Payments to netball playing partners is now very common place and is done in various forms. Anyone need a new deck or kitchen? 😀
How can old melbournians land a wafl senior bnf, the mind boggles how that is allowed, yet we have corowa go into recess.

How can the ammos be allowed more points than corowa?

Lets hope Maine get a few experienced footballers in from the mcdfl and central highlands

Seems someone at Castlemaine reads Bigfooty.

Just posted their 'senior squad' on social media, which contains 32 names including Bailey Henderson and several reserves players. I'm assuming it doesn't include under 18s.

It would seem two sides is going to be a huge struggle but looks like the plan is to go forward with a senior side. Not 100% sure if that is good news or not.

Seems someone at Castlemaine reads Bigfooty.

Just posted their 'senior squad' on social media, which contains 32 names including Bailey Henderson and several reserves players. I'm assuming it doesn't include under 18s.

It would seem two sides is going to be a huge struggle but looks like the plan is to go forward with a senior side. Not 100% sure if that is good news or not.
I think they'd be hopeful of getting another 5-10 guys commit locally, not sure how Campbell's creek is going with numbers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That reads as though they will be stronger - good news

No chance unless they add some players from this point onwards.

Looking at the list they published this week they have lost 5 or 6 of their best 10 from last year and not added much. If Bailey Henderson isn't available much it will be a long year, but being on the park is better than not.

No chance unless they add some players from this point onwards.

Looking at the list they published this week they have lost 5 or 6 of their best 10 from last year and not added much. If Bailey Henderson isn't available much it will be a long year, but being on the park is better than not.

Yea and no on that - it appears having the year off to regroup has helped kyneton survive ? Could be wrong

Premiership players Matt Harvey and lachie Bonney back to strath. Harvey was only 18 or 19 when he last played at strath, is an absolute gun. Strath my tip to win it

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back