Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd think Castlemaine, Harcourt and Maldon stay, the others will need to merge with one of those three

As I understand it, Harcourt and Maldon have very few juniors and the retention rates falls away massively in the older age groups.

Hard to see where the players will come from, both those clubs have had shaky moments in the past 20 years when it looked like they would fall over.

What sort of reduction in club numbers do people think we will see over the next decade or so?

When I look at the current situation with the 5 clubs around Castlemaine, and how the junior numbers look, I'd say 2 clubs are sustainable long term.

Is a 60% reduction where it is at? I think I heard somewhere that is about the mark for junior numbers relative to the number of senior clubs in Greater Bendigo?

Will it be that dramatic?
Think you will see more changes in the football landscape as has seemed to occur forever. With so many clubs recruiting out of Bendigo and other far flung locations, it will be interesting to see how clubs such as Inglewood, BL Serpentine, Newbridge, Bridgewater, Elmore, Mitiamo and numerous clubs in the north central league go as they are all reliant on recruiting from Bendigo.

On top of this BFNL clubs could also see change due to the level of competition. Bendigo based clubs like Huntly could be considered vulnerable despite the growth in the northern corridor of the city. Why the AFL Central Victoria Commission has not looked at football in this area and placed a BFNL club in this area is beyond me - total lack of foresight.

The situation around Castlemaine is well documented and the same situation is occurring around Maryborough where there is a plethora of teams (mostly uncompetitive) who need to get together and make some difficult decisions to improve football in the area. Am not going to repeat myself on this as the topic has been spoken about many times.

Think you will see more changes in the football landscape as has seemed to occur forever. With so many clubs recruiting out of Bendigo and other far flung locations, it will be interesting to see how clubs such as Inglewood, BL Serpentine, Newbridge, Bridgewater, Elmore, Mitiamo and numerous clubs in the north central league go as they are all reliant on recruiting from Bendigo.

On top of this BFNL clubs could also see change due to the level of competition. Bendigo based clubs like Huntly could be considered vulnerable despite the growth in the northern corridor of the city. Why the AFL Central Victoria Commission has not looked at football in this area and placed a BFNL club in this area is beyond me - total lack of foresight.

The situation around Castlemaine is well documented and the same situation is occurring around Maryborough where there is a plethora of teams (mostly uncompetitive) who need to get together and make some difficult decisions to improve football in the area. Am not going to repeat myself on this as the topic has been spoken about many times.

So if we jump forward to 2035 what we will see?

I think it could be as dramatic as a 60% reduction in clubs.

How do you just place a Club in an area? It's not the AFL where clubs have been built from the ground up with millions of dollars to do so.

Points system in the BJFL has already been in place for the last 3 years and has made no difference, the same as senior footy. Points system is a waste of time.
The problem with the points system is the difference between the top and the bottom teams is to small. Can't go out and recruit guns if you're on the bottom because you don't have enough points.

The problem with the points system is the difference between the top and the bottom teams is to small. Can't go out and recruit guns if you're on the bottom because you don't have enough points.
The teams at the bottom have plenty of points to spare especially the bottom 2 and Kangaroo Flat to a degree as well but it looks like they’ve recruited aggressively to use up a lot of those points for this year so will be interesting to see how they go Castlemaine probably have the points capacity to bring in 5 x 5 point players for this year but lack of pulling power is the problem which means bringing in 5 5 pointers would cost them about $1500 a week per player as they’d need to offer players way overs to entice them to a club that’s hardly won a game for 10 years

The teams at the bottom have plenty of points to spare especially the bottom 2 and Kangaroo Flat to a degree as well but it looks like they’ve recruited aggressively to use up a lot of those points for this year so will be interesting to see how they go Castlemaine probably have the points capacity to bring in 5 x 5 point players for this year but lack of pulling power is the problem which means bringing in 5 5 pointers would cost them about $1500 a week per player as they’d need to offer players way overs to entice them to a club that’s hardly won a game for 10 years
I'm just talking from experience at a bottom club mate. Not the BFL but another around the area.

We had 12 points more than the top club. That was enough for 3 or 4 top players more but being so far behind we needed at least double that, had the interest and couldn't fit them in. As such we remained cellar dwellers while the top teams kept their good players, and gained extra players from their players dropping a point which meant they could top up with another gun or two.

I'm just talking from experience at a bottom club mate. Not the BFL but another around the area.

We had 12 points more than the top club. That was enough for 3 or 4 top players more but being so far behind we needed at least double that, had the interest and couldn't fit them in. As such we remained cellar dwellers while the top teams kept their good players, and gained extra players from their players dropping a point which meant they could top up with another gun or two.

There really needs to be the ability for clubs who have battled for years like for example a Castlemaine to be given a points exemption for a period of time.

It would be absolutely ludicrous if the above scenario played out there. Ie if they were able to attract a number of players join the club but not be able to fit them into the points cap

There really needs to be the ability for clubs who have battled for years like for example a Castlemaine to be given a points exemption for a period of time.

It would be absolutely ludicrous if the above scenario played out there. Ie if they were able to attract a number of players join the club but not be able to fit them into the points cap
Exactly. Reality is to "get good" you're asking blokes to waste 3 to 4 years of their prime to build a competitive list. It's an impossible situation.

I reckon they could have a million points this year and it wouldn't make a difference. The keys getting Henderson full-time at the club in the next couple of years, having the best locals playing for the club and a bit of stability around the senior coach, shepherd needs to be there 4 years or have a plan in place with Henderson after 2 for the club to go forward

I don't see why a club like Castlemaine has any restrictions in points at all. Nor salary cap for that matter.

Having said that I don't think the issue is the amount of points available, as others have said most bottom teams can't use them. I think the point is more that if you want a more competitive competition you need to cut more points from the strong clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see why a club like Castlemaine has any restrictions in points at all. Nor salary cap for that matter.

Having said that I don't think the issue is the amount of points available, as others have said most bottom teams can't use them. I think the point is more that if you want a more competitive competition you need to cut more points from the strong clubs.
I agree though last years premiership team at a guess would have been in the mid to high 20’s max for points and Strath not far above them

Agree with the first part, but disagree with the second.
Clubs that continue to struggle, i think, should be able to sit down with their league and work out an allocated amount of points to help get them competitive..... but that will never happen... and even if it did clubs out of finals contention will always find it hard to recruit quality players

I agree though last years premiership team at a guess would have been in the mid to high 20’s max for points and Strath not far above them

They are both on 40 points - Castlemaine on 46 which is 2 players benefit really - so a non event

Kyneton lost 3 points back to 43 because they didn’t make the finals and south also lost 3

The grand finalists didn’t move points ha ha ha what a corrupt joke !

This is why competitions are so lop sided

Maryborough/ Castlemaine / flat should be on 46

GIS / strath / sand / square - 28 points

That’s the only way to even it up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They are both on 40 points - Castlemaine on 46 which is 2 players benefit really - so a non event

Kyneton lost 3 points back to 43 because they didn’t make the finals and south also lost 3

The grand finalists didn’t move points ha ha ha what a corrupt joke !

This is why competitions are so lop sided

Maryborough/ Castlemaine / flat should be on 46

GIS / strath / sand / square - 28 points

That’s the only way to even it up

Put Castlemaine, Maryborough & Kangaroo Flat on 1,000 points.

The point system as an idea is good... the application of it has been nothing short of disastrous
I still fail to see what purpose it serves? There appears to be more clubs on the verge of oblivion than ever before.The strong get stronger, the weak get weaker. Plus, it is an ongoing point of discussion on these forums which IMO indicates that it has been a failure. How do you see it working better mate?

I still fail to see what purpose it serves? There appears to be more clubs on the verge of oblivion than ever before.The strong get stronger, the weak get weaker. Plus, it is an ongoing point of discussion on these forums which IMO indicates that it has been a failure. How do you see it working better mate?
It comes down to the application of points... giving a team like Castlemaine or Maryborough 5 or 6 pts more than say Strathfieldsaye doesn't achieve anything. They need double that... even triple.
But as I've said before unfortunately most struggling clubs are coming from so far back that i doubt anything will help because its hard to get players to go to struggling clubs for no success.

The powers read all of these forums make no mistake - they are just frightened to make a decision incase it’s unpopular with their chosen / preferred clubs/ groups/cliques

It’s diabolical

The points system was always going to serve the strong clubs so well. No surprise almost all the good kids go to strong clubs to get developed, leaving an outrageous imbalance between high-performing clubs and low-performing clubs.

I think you guys are starting to make some sense now.
The admin of every competition throughout Victoria need to start and implement the points system available.
Strath (for example) have been dominant at the top of the ladder for a long time.
What is stopping them from been restricted to say 32 points and making them bring juniors through rather than recruiting a couple of guns every year?
And yes they do bring juniors through every year but try and restrict the recruitment of ex VFL players and the like.
The points should be access every year and looked at a 3-5 year window of how the team has faired through a period of time.
No one wants to see the same 3-4 teams making up the finals every year.

Admins need to start and stand up to some of these clubs also.
How many times have we seen some points restricted to a club and they appeal and win.
We are all crying out for every club to be competitive.
How many times through the year do you check the fixture (in all comps) and most of the results are known before the game is played?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back