Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I've long said the way forward is 2 senior teams.

Merge under 18s and reserves into a colts competition, an under 23 with a certain number of overage players allowed per team.

Increase under 16s to under 17s.

We lose huge numbers of players out of 16s and 18s, if you made it a younger players competition it would help I think.
You're best footballers are nearly always between 18-23 though. You want 2-3rds of your senior side in that age bracket with the other third 24-32, for major league footy

Finances and fact their junior program has been so poor numbers wise for a few years now!

They also need 600 supporters to arrive in town and turn up and drink the bar dry every week! They are in a similar position to Kyneton, Castlemaine, Maryborough and Flat atm when it comes to attracting players as they don’t have and good locals coming through. Unfortunately they don’t have the funds like Kyneton and to some extent Flat to be able to buy in some a graders anymore at what the going price is if you want to bring in some elite players

The move to Kennington will help. Not immediately but they will then have schools to align with and an actual location for people to identify with

Looking like Kyneton will have minimum 7, possibly 9 new players run out with them in round 1 this year .

Looking at the outs they have lost 3 regular senior players and 2 fringe players so you would think they should be a 4 to 5 goal better side this year which will hopefully even up the comp even further

If they can land the last 2 possible recruits it would mean 4 locals back to the club

Looking like Kyneton will have minimum 7, possibly 9 new players run out with them in round 1 this year .

Looking at the outs they have lost 3 regular senior players and 2 fringe players so you would think they should be a 4 to 5 goal better side this year which will hopefully even up the comp even further

If they can land the last 2 possible recruits it would mean 4 locals back to the club

Be nice to know who these new blokes are. Bartrop is a huge loss for them though..huge

Be nice to know who these new blokes are. Bartrop is a huge loss for them though..huge

This is my ladder prediction

Strath - solid
Square - solid
Sandhurst - gained plenty
Gisborne - strong depth
Eaglehawk - recruited well
South - lost too many
Kyneton - no word on any arrivals
Flat - depth issues
Maryborough - will battle depth wise
Castlemaine - a long year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is my ladder prediction

Strath - solid
Square - solid
Sandhurst - gained plenty
Gisborne - strong depth
Eaglehawk - recruited well
South - lost too many
Kyneton - no word on any arrivals
Flat - depth issues
Maryborough - will battle depth wise
Castlemaine - a long year

A pretty good assessment on the very limited information available. Wish we could see clearances.

The move to Kennington will help. Not immediately but they will then have schools to align with and an actual location for people to identify with
I was a doubter about the future of South a few years ago but things started to change when Horbury and Childs got involved with the coaching. The club started to get its act into gear and the move to Kensington is a good one and will assist with building the club further and gaining more support. They had no hope surviving whilst at the QEO and things were certainly looking desperate for a while.

The club is financial which is something that hasn’t been the case for a long time and is seeing more support both on and off field. Things are looking somewhat positive which is something that hasn’t been the case at South for decades.

When Castlemaine and Maryborough are gone and Kyneton has left, South and Kangaroo Flat become the perennial cellar dwellers.

Survival might not be so easy then.

When Castlemaine and Maryborough are gone and Kyneton has left, South and Kangaroo Flat become the perennial cellar dwellers.

South in the 90s had Peter Curran as coach, they were also pretty unlucky to run into golden square in the late 2000s maybe to 2012, who were arguably the best team in the state, I think their move to Kennington will see them be ok.

Maryborough and Castlemaine will probably go to ensure they've both got clubs in 5 years, maybe into the central highlands, but mergers with minor clubs also need to happen.

There's a lot to play out with footy in the whole state yet, not just bendigo

The last thing the league or all Bendigo clubs should want is Kyneton to leave they’d have the biggest group of travelling supporters to away games and they love a beer or 10 I’d imagine when Kyneton are the away team it’d be the biggest gate taking bar taking day of the year for the home club

The last thing the league or all Bendigo clubs should want is Kyneton to leave they’d have the biggest group of travelling supporters to away games and they love a beer or 10 I’d imagine when Kyneton are the away team it’d be the biggest gate taking bar taking day of the year for the home club

Absolutely spot on! Can 100% confirm numerous requests were put in by opposition clubs to the league during the draft fixture stage to play Kyneton at home on certain dates, so they then could plan a major function around that game! All of which were declined by the league!

You would think the league would be doing everything in its power to keep Kyneton. Can you imagine Kyneton in an elimination final, there would be more in attendance than what the QEO would see total for the whole home and away season!

Hearing massive pitches coming from the RDFL to try and attract Kyneton, but there preference is too stay in the BFL, but unless the league officals start actual giving them some respect like they do with all the Bendigo sides, they might be left with no choice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely spot on! Can 100% confirm numerous requests were put in by opposition clubs to the league during the draft fixture stage to play Kyneton at home on certain dates, so they then could plan a major function around that game! All of which were declined by the league!

You would think the league would be doing everything in its power to keep Kyneton. Can you imagine Kyneton in an elimination final, there would be more in attendance than what the QEO would see total for the whole home and away season!

Hearing massive pitches coming from the RDFL to try and attract Kyneton, but there preference is too stay in the BFL, but unless the league officals start actual giving them some respect like they do with all the Bendigo sides, they might be left with no choice
Please Bev. Give us a clue on what you mean by respect.

Why wouldn't clubs work around their functions after the bye has come out bev? I can 100% confirm you are full of shit.

You keep telling us how much damage Kyneton would do in the rdfl, what respect do Kyneton want? Nice to see your aiming high at the tigers, "imagine playing an elimination final" why not a grand final Bev with all your secret recruits, you should be a sure thing

Why wouldn't clubs work around their functions after the bye has come out bev? I can 100% confirm you are full of s**t.

You keep telling us how much damage Kyneton would do in the rdfl, what respect do Kyneton want? Nice to see your aiming high at the tigers, "imagine playing an elimination final" why not a grand final Bev with all your secret recruits, you should be a sure thing
Recruits without first or last names apparently

I agree, but in my opinion the moment they moved their juniors out of the Bendigo comp and into Riddell, it was a fait accompli.

The only question now is how long it takes.

South in the 90s had Peter Curran as coach, they were also pretty unlucky to run into golden square in the late 2000s maybe to 2012, who were arguably the best team in the state, I think their move to Kennington will see them be ok.

I dunno about that, Castlemaine probably had the best team the Bendigo comp has ever seen in the 90s as well.

With the country clubs and Kangaroo Flat at the moment South have pretty well been guaranteed 6 or 8 wins minimum and finals contention just about every year. Gives them a bit of hope and positivity to sell.

Take those teams away and they are winning one or two and finishing in the bottom group every year. Who is going to choose them over the other Bendigo clubs or the outer leagues then?

I agree, but in my opinion the moment they moved their juniors out of the Bendigo comp and into Riddell, it was a fait accompli.

The only question now is how long it takes.

They will not move seniors until they are made to - which will be in the next 5 years when afl makes the change to leagues and has clubs in tiered competitions

I think they'll stay as long as Gisborne do, big rivalry there, kyenton is a growing place, they should be a major football town team

Feel like Kyneton has the same problems as Castlemaine. Growing town but with older tree changers selling up from Melbourne or your fringe alternative types from Northcote or Fitzroy who commute to work and aren't the sort of people who hang out at local footy.

Gisborne on the other hand is close enough to Melbourne to attract young families who can't afford to live there but want to be as close as they can.

Feel like Kyneton has the same problems as Castlemaine. Growing town but with older tree changers selling up from Melbourne or your fringe alternative types from Northcote or Fitzroy who commute to work and aren't the sort of people who hang out at local footy.

Gisborne on the other hand is close enough to Melbourne to attract young families who can't afford to live there but want to be as close as they can.

Fair call - I think kyneton being a one club town helps but agree it’s hard. They also seem to have a brilliant raffle that looks impossible to break now which should see them survive. Gisborne about to have a second club introduced will thin the power out but will still be strong.

Fair call - I think kyneton being a one club town helps but agree it’s hard. They also seem to have a brilliant raffle that looks impossible to break now which should see them survive. Gisborne about to have a second club introduced will thin the power out but will still be strong.

A big clue for me has been noticing one of their executive commenting a few times on social media about articles regarding teams going into recess or other issues with country footy.

Doesn't sound to me like someone who thinks what they are doing is sustainable in the longer term, I think they have recognised change is required to ensure the future of the club is manageable.

And as I said, I think the moving of juniors is just the first step in that process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back