Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

A big clue for me has been noticing one of their executive commenting a few times on social media about articles regarding teams going into recess or other issues with country footy.

Doesn't sound to me like someone who thinks what they are doing is sustainable in the longer term, I think they have recognised change is required to ensure the future of the club is manageable.

And as I said, I think the moving of juniors is just the first step in that process.
Kyenton isn't hurt to the same extent as Castlemaine in regards to neighbouring minor leagues, just had a player drafted, I'd think a town of that size and apparent supporter base should easily be sustainable for a major league side, it's not like they're travel time will reduce by lots in the Riddell, 40 minutes to Bendigo for them

A big clue for me has been noticing one of their executive commenting a few times on social media about articles regarding teams going into recess or other issues with country footy.

Doesn't sound to me like someone who thinks what they are doing is sustainable in the longer term, I think they have recognised change is required to ensure the future of the club is manageable.

And as I said, I think the moving of juniors is just the first step in that process.

I guess the member of executives has noticed how hard it is for regional teams ! That’s no big secret it’s a shambles

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

To equalise the BFNL the points should be the following - I’d be interested on others thoughts

Strath - 28
Square - 28
Gisborne - 28
Sandhurst - 28
Eaglehawk - 33
South - 33
Kyneton - 36
Flat - 39
Maryborough- 45
Castlemaine - 45

To equalise the BFNL the points should be the following - I’d be interested on others thoughts

Strath - 28
Square - 28
Gisborne - 28
Sandhurst - 28
Eaglehawk - 33
South - 33
Kyneton - 36
Flat - 39
Maryborough- 45
Castlemaine - 45

You'd be bringing the standard back a long way.

Strath - 28
Square - 28
Gisborne - 28
Sandhurst - 28
Eaglehawk - 33
South - 33
Kyneton - 36
Flat - 39
Maryborough- 45
Castlemaine - 45

You can't have the 4 clubs on 28, when the gv, Ballarat, metro play on higher points, if the points stay it's gotta be worked out across the state, I thought that was AFL Vic's job bringing it in

Don’t think Kyneton will go to RDFL. Gisborne, Sunbury Lions ect have juniors there. Unless some massive changes happen to other neighbouring leagues they won’t go. They would end up destroying the RDFL. Agree the BFL must get their head out of the asses of Bendigo based clubs tho but I guess it’s a hunger style games were no one cares about the country towns. If Castlemaine, Marybourgh ect leave they have to be a major reason for leaving due to minimal help from the league. Clubs will have to have a look at themselves as well. I hate hearing clubs poaching kids from small opposing towns. If Corowa doesn’t wake the league up nothing will.

Don’t think Kyneton will go to RDFL. Gisborne, Sunbury Lions ect have juniors there. Unless some massive changes happen to other neighbouring leagues they won’t go. They would end up destroying the RDFL. Agree the BFL must get their head out of the asses of Bendigo based clubs tho but I guess it’s a hunger style games were no one cares about the country towns. If Castlemaine, Marybourgh ect leave they have to be a major reason for leaving due to minimal help from the league. Clubs will have to have a look at themselves as well. I hate hearing clubs poaching kids from small opposing towns. If Corowa doesn’t wake the league up nothing will.
Spot on Olly. The “cartel” of Bendigo clubs couldn’t give a hoot about the clubs outside the city. They are happy to live in their little bubble and not have the boat rocked. They don’t care about how the competition is predicable and the large majority aren’t interested due to this. Unfortunately the powers that be need to make hard decisions but don’t want to be the bearer of bad news in order to improve the overall health and status of the league. I have been going on about this forever and nothing has changed.

Fair call - I think kyneton being a one club town helps but agree it’s hard. They also seem to have a brilliant raffle that looks impossible to break now which should see them survive. Gisborne about to have a second club introduced will thin the power out but will still be strong.

Kyneton isn’t going anywhere and will continue to be in the Bendigo FNL. The status quo will remain whilst Gisborne are in the league (and they have no intention of going anywhere). If they did look to move, I am sure those involved at Kyneton may look at options but it certainly isn’t on the radar of the club at this point in time.

Spot on Olly. The “cartel” of Bendigo clubs couldn’t give a hoot about the clubs outside the city. They are happy to live in their little bubble and not have the boat rocked. They don’t care about how the competition is predicable and the large majority aren’t interested due to this. Unfortunately the powers that be need to make hard decisions but don’t want to be the bearer of bad news in order to improve the overall health and status of the league. I have been going on about this forever and nothing has changed.
Isn't it the job of each club to be the best they can be on and off field. Clubs are hard enough to run without worrying about anyone else. Why would they care about other clubs? The BFNL board and AFL Vic are the ones that need to care about the health of all clubs and the competition in general.

Isn't it the job of each club to be the best they can be on and off field. Clubs are hard enough to run without worrying about anyone else. Why would they care about other clubs? The BFNL board and AFL Vic are the ones that need to care about the health of all clubs and the competition in general.
Yes and No.

I don't believe there is a cartel of Bendigo Clubs. Golden Square and Sandhurst would like nothing better than to belt the crap out of the each other. I don't think it would go down very well at Eaglehawk to call them a Bendigo Club. You'd be lucky to make it back over the Jobs Gully railway bridge in one piece. Ask Strathfiedsaye supporters what part of Bendigo they live in.

Yes, there is no doubt the focus of each club is success. It is vital. Success breeds success. Fall down the ladder and it is a long way back. Club officials, volunteers, supporters on a daily basis will be focused on staying afloat and on field success. No doubt about that. They will move heaven and earth to do this.

However there would not be too many individuals at Golden Square who would enjoy see them beating Castlemaine by 40 goals. How many of their supporters are going to travel to Camp Reserve in winter to watch that? I believe the vast majority of them, (just about all of them), would like to see Castlemaine improve out of sight.

I am sure Gisborne officials would like to see a strong Kyneton team on the park. Hence when they play one another they can enjoy big crowds (revenue), with massive interest if they meet in the finals - or a grand final.

Big crowds bring in vital revenue and help attract additional supporters and sponsors. The more even a competition is the more interesting it will be. The more interesting it is the more people will watch it. That is in every clubs interest.

So yes clubs should care about other clubs. It is an 'holistic approach'. A body with paralyzed legs is not a healthy body.

Yes and No.

I don't believe there is a cartel of Bendigo Clubs. Golden Square and Sandhurst would like nothing better than to belt the crap out of the each other. I don't think it would go down very well at Eaglehawk to call them a Bendigo Club. You'd be lucky to make it back over the Jobs Gully railway bridge in one piece. Ask Strathfiedsaye supporters what part of Bendigo they live in.

Yes, there is no doubt the focus of each club is success. It is vital. Success breeds success. Fall down the ladder and it is a long way back. Club officials, volunteers, supporters on a daily basis will be focused on staying afloat and on field success. No doubt about that. They will move heaven and earth to do this.

However there would not be too many individuals at Golden Square who would enjoy see them beating Castlemaine by 40 goals. How many of their supporters are going to travel to Camp Reserve in winter to watch that? I believe the vast majority of them, (just about all of them), would like to see Castlemaine improve out of sight.

I am sure Gisborne officials would like to see a strong Kyneton team on the park. Hence when they play one another they can enjoy big crowds (revenue), with massive interest if they meet in the finals - or a grand final.

Big crowds bring in vital revenue and help attract additional supporters and sponsors. The more even a competition is the more interesting it will be. The more interesting it is the more people will watch it. That is in every clubs interest.

So yes clubs should care about other clubs. It is an 'holistic approach'. A body with paralyzed legs is not a healthy body.
Too much sense spoken here in this post.

My only question is which clubs in the league currently do you reckon would try to recruit from the bottom 4 sides to further deplete both there juniors and somewhat struggling senior sides

Sandhurst we know do 100% they would go an recruit 5 blokes from Castlemaine tomorrow and it wouldn’t worry them one bit if it meant that was Castlemaine final straw.

Gisborne I know will actively try and poach the good Kyneton juniors knowing that they haven’t had success for a long time. You would think with Kyneton moving to the RDFL for under 17s that might change that somewhat

As for the other clubs, as much as there is a strong rivalry amongst most I don’t believe the stronger sides want to see the bottom sides any weaker so they will keep clear of poaching players from the same comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My only question is which clubs in the league currently do you reckon would try to recruit from the bottom 4 sides to further deplete both there juniors and somewhat struggling senior sides

Sandhurst we know do 100% they would go an recruit 5 blokes from Castlemaine tomorrow and it wouldn’t worry them one bit if it meant that was Castlemaine final straw.

Gisborne I know will actively try and poach the good Kyneton juniors knowing that they haven’t had success for a long time. You would think with Kyneton moving to the RDFL for under 17s that might change that somewhat

As for the other clubs, as much as there is a strong rivalry amongst most I don’t believe the stronger sides want to see the bottom sides any weaker so they will keep clear of poaching players from the same comp
Agreed, sandhurst would probably recruit Castlemaine under 16’s just to add to their junior stock pile lol

Works with supporters too. Kyneton have some how managed to recruit you Bev. A diehard Gissy man crossed over to the Tigers. What did they offer?

Yes and No.

Well said Albury you’ve summed things up very well

This is also very well said Gisborne also seem to like taking players from Castlemaine but it also involves Castlemaine players happy to move as well so we don’t know the full situation maybe those players have approached Gisborne themselves in which case if that’s what’s possibly happened it’s a slightly different story.

Agreed, sandhurst would probably recruit Castlemaine under 16’s just to add to their junior stock pile lol

And do.

Some good posts there but I still think Hank is on the money. Ultimately clubs will favour self-interest over all else so it is up to the administration to stand up for the betterment of the game.

AFL Victoria in general and AFL CV as their representative in this region have been derelict in their duty to stand up for the betterment of the game, to the point where they are very close to taking it to a position that is unrecoverable.

If ever you needed sum up AFL CV's attitude just have a look a the social media stuff currently going out.

Pointless profiles on the CVFL clubs, individual BFNL club fixtures, again pointless, and they've commissioned Richard Jones to do some look back articles.

Meanwhile what does just about every rank and file club supporter want? Clearances.

As usual all froth and no beer.

This is also very well said Gisborne also seem to like taking players from Castlemaine but it also involves Castlemaine players happy to move as well so we don’t know the full situation maybe those players have approached Gisborne themselves in which case if that’s what’s possibly happened it’s a slightly different story.
What 2 players from Castlemaine since Gisborne entered the comp have gone there, one was even directly taken from Castlemaine

What 2 players from Castlemaine since Gisborne entered the comp have gone there, one was even directly taken from Castlemaine
I can think of 3 in the past 4-5 years I couldn’t tell you any further back than that but I’m more thinking of recent seasons more than in Gisborne’s full history in the league as I said I’m not across the background it could be Gisborne recruiting or it could be players approaching them but either way Gisborne’s happy to have/take them which is their choice I guess. One of them has played at 3 Bendigo clubs already and at a guess I’d say he’d be mid 20’s.

I can think of 3 in the past 4-5 years I couldn’t tell you any further back than that but I’m more thinking of recent seasons more than in Gisborne’s full history in the league as I said I’m not across the background it could be Gisborne recruiting or it could be players approaching them but either way Gisborne’s happy to have/take them which is their choice I guess. One of them has played at 3 Bendigo clubs already and at a guess I’d say he’d be mid 20’s.
O’Brien, Blake, Denahy

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back