Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I can think of 3 in the past 4-5 years I couldn’t tell you any further back than that but I’m more thinking of recent seasons more than in Gisborne’s full history in the league as I said I’m not across the background it could be Gisborne recruiting or it could be players approaching them but either way Gisborne’s happy to have/take them which is their choice I guess. One of them has played at 3 Bendigo clubs already and at a guess I’d say he’d be mid 20’s.
I imagine you're talking about Blake, he did go and play in the central Murray for a couple of years, not sure he and Castlemaine left on best terms and Castlemaine were looking woeful when he came back into Bendigo, maybe shepherd could lure him back with Henderson helping as well, I'd imagine shepherd and his dad would have played a lot of footy together as well

I imagine you're talking about Blake, he did go and play in the central Murray for a couple of years, not sure he and Castlemaine left on best terms and Castlemaine were looking woeful when he came back into Bendigo, maybe shepherd could lure him back with Henderson helping as well, I'd imagine shepherd and his dad would have played a lot of footy together as well
Blake never played central Murray. Your right though that he didn’t leave on great terms. He and denahy are great mates so if him playing last year wasnt enough to lure braidon back then nothing will, he won’t play there again.

I thought he played for koondrook Barham raiders
I could be wrong but pretty sure that was Calen Huntley who is now coaching Harcourt so another top end talent that has left Castlemaine back I assume the horse has bolted but if there is anything they can do to get Blake Huntley O’Brien Deahey back next year Henderson full time and then they all bring a senior quality player mate with them they could start to steer the ship back in the right direction. If that means any of the current committee need to step away as they might be inhibiting the chance to get those blokes back then for the greater good and future of the club they should step away

A cousin of mine played there. I reckon he did go there but it might have been the lost covid year so didn't actually play.
Correct Hank. He signed but due to the pandemic never played a game for the club.

Unlikely to ever play at Castlemaine again as he didn’t leave on the best of terms and probably wouldnt be welcomed back with open arms either. Can’t say he covered himself with any glory when he moved on.

Hearing Castlemaine have pulled the pin on there first practice match due to not being able to pull together 25 players for a 6 quarter reserves / senior match

Surely this can’t be good news
Correct Bev. Were unable to get the numbers together for what was described as a scratch match. Cricket and other commitments having an impact with player availability in what was already a struggle for numbers. I still think they will get there but it’s going to be a long year for the club. Campbells Creek also struggling so perhaps it’s time to have some conversations about the future of football in the area.

Correct Bev. Were unable to get the numbers together for what was described as a scratch match. Cricket and other commitments having an impact with player availability in what was already a struggle for numbers. I still think they will get there but it’s going to be a long year for the club. Campbells Creek also struggling so perhaps it’s time to have some conversations about the future of football in the area.
Should they merge and play a couple of home games at the creek

Should they merge and play a couple of home games at the creek
Couldn't happen unfortunately. Campbells Creek are equally as desperate as Castlemaine to get much-needed improved rooms done to the ground - oppo rooms are basically containers right now.

I found it really questionable that teams around them got big grants recently while Creek are still scrambling to get anything.

Edit: AFL champion Dustin Martin got his start here but this country footy club is fighting for basic facilities

Couldn't happen unfortunately. Campbells Creek are equally as desperate as Castlemaine to get much-needed improved rooms done to the ground - oppo rooms are basically containers right now.

I found it really questionable that teams around them got big grants recently while Creek are still scrambling to get anything.

Edit: AFL champion Dustin Martin got his start here but this country footy club is fighting for basic facilities
Interesting article. Always someone else’s fault. No disrespect but Chesters has done nothing for community sport in the area. Too busy trying to work with her “woke“ constituents and take on matters that really the majority of the community have little or no interest in. Chesters is a master of political spin and seems to be untouchable with little to no scrutiny from the local media. Ever seen her at at local sporting activities? Always busy apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol don’t hold back, let it out mate

I'll leave the stuff on individuals but the path for Castlemaine and Creek is crystal clear I think.

I've only ever played for those two clubs, juniors at Creek and seniors at Maine, so I have great affection for both but the time has come to lock them both in a room until only one comes out. To continue to battle each other for players, volunteers, sponsors and funding is suicide for both clubs.

A good way forward might be to be called the Castlemaine Magpies, wear the creek jumper with Campbells Creek on the back and play in the MCDFNL.

Get the Camp upgrade done and be a venue that can host MCDFNL finals when the local teams are playing and get some community interest going.

I'll leave the stuff on individuals but the path for Castlemaine and Creek is crystal clear I think.

I've only ever played for those two clubs, juniors at Creek and seniors at Maine, so I have great affection for both but the time has come to lock them both in a room until only one comes out. To continue to battle each other for players, volunteers, sponsors and funding is suicide for both clubs.

A good way forward might be to be called the Castlemaine Magpies, wear the creek jumper with Campbells Creek on the back and play in the MCDFNL.

Get the Camp upgrade done and be a venue that can host MCDFNL finals when the local teams are playing and get some community interest going.

Good on you mate and I agree but would also think that other clubs need to come under the same umbrella. Harcourt for starters. I’d be looking at a 3 way merger of Castlemaine, Harcourt and Campbell’s Creek. It won’t bring immediate success but it will over time ensure that the town is focussed on one club rather than 3

Good on you mate and I agree but would also think that other clubs need to come under the same umbrella. Harcourt for starters. I’d be looking at a 3 way merger of Castlemaine, Harcourt and Campbell’s Creek. It won’t bring immediate success but it will over time ensure that the town is focussed on one club rather than 3
I think Harcourt is set to be a growth town, where they'll push new subdivisions instead of Castlemaine, I think maybe Newstead should join with creek and Maine

I played my last game of senior footy at the creek, their rooms weren't the worst in the mcdfl back then

I think Harcourt is set to be a growth town, where they'll push new subdivisions instead of Castlemaine, I think maybe Newstead should join with creek and Maine

I played my last game of senior footy at the creek, their rooms weren't the worst in the mcdfl back then

I agree with you both, I think the best fit is Maldon/Newstead joined together and Harcourt with Castlemaine/Creek as the other team.

Don't think Harcourt or Maldon would entertain it at the moment, but in the not so distant past they were both almost gone so they should.

From what I have read in this pre season it would be 70% of posts that have discussed their genuine concerns for Castlemaine and this year to a lesser extent marybourgh. There is no doubt in my mind that mergers have to happen otherwise we are seeing slow deaths of once very strong football clubs. Some common sense has to prevail but in my humble opinion in 10-20 years time I still think the league needs to see a strong Marybourgh, Castlemaine and a Kyneton in the Bendigo football league not just for the league but the towns/areas as well. How they do that must be addressed now by the clubs and the league before it’s to late and sadly if it’s not this year I think in 2 seasons it will be to late.

From what I have read in this pre season it would be 70% of posts that have discussed their genuine concerns for Castlemaine and this year to a lesser extent marybourgh. There is no doubt in my mind that mergers have to happen................................................
Lots of comments about mergers which is IMO is way off the mark. Putting 2 fat ugly chicks / blokes together does not make a good looking person.

1. Castlemaine and Maryborough need a $200k a year salary cap "grant from AFL HQ" to stay in BFL. They then might be able to attract local and quality players.
2. Creek needs to fold and stay folded
3. Harcourt stays in MCDFNL .. a growing town with a positive future
4. Fold Rovers and Bushy while at it.
5. Definitely lower the points for Strath, Square, Sandhurst and the Borough... who cares if the comp standard drops. We want competitive games, not a pissing contest against the GV, O&M or GFL.

The solutions are straightforward, but no one in AFL CV will have the courage to take action so we will face another farked, loop-sided season.

Over and out.

Lots of comments about mergers which is IMO is way off the mark. Putting 2 fat ugly chicks / blokes together does not make a good looking person.

1. Castlemaine and Maryborough need a $200k a year salary cap "grant from AFL HQ" to stay in BFL. They then might be able to attract local and quality players.
2. Creek needs to fold and stay folded
3. Harcourt stays in MCDFNL .. a growing town with a positive future
4. Fold Rovers and Bushy while at it.
5. Definitely lower the points for Strath, Square, Sandhurst and the Borough... who cares if the comp standard drops. We want competitive games, not a pissing contest against the GV, O&M or GFL.

The solutions are straightforward, but no one in AFL CV will have the courage to take action so we will face another farked, loop-sided season.

Over and out.

The point about mergers is that at least the members of the clubs have a connection to the new entity and may be more inclined to stay involved.

When clubs simply fold especially if they are forced to fold those people are likely to be lost to the game.

The issue for clubs is not just lack of players…it’s lack of people in general.

Big decisions need to be made but engaging with people and helping them to get their minds around the change is surely more productive then simply folding places up

Now that majority of lists are finalised here is my 2023 prediction

Eaglehawk
Square
Strath
Gisborne
Sandhurst
Kyneton
Kangaroo Flat
South
Maryborough
Castlemaine

Big Sliders - Gisborne have lost 9 from their premiership side and only brought into 2. One from Castlemaine and one from Trentham, had outstanding depth due to there 18s, but with the quality they have loss will drop back

South Bendigo - Got lucky last year can’t see them winning more than 6 games this year, funds have dried up, players asked to take pay cuts already before season starts. Wouldn’t be surprised if a few more leave by clearances

Improvers

Eaglehawk - a near moral to win the flag from what I’m heading. If Jarryn Geary plays more than half a year will win the Michelson. A fit Cam Manuel only one who will get close to him

Michelson

Jarryn Geary, Cam Manuel or Bailey Edwards

Main Headlines

Castlemaine pull the pin on eve of season

League cracks down hard on Sandhurst poaching juniors from struggling clubs,

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back