Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's results probably confirmed what I suspected that Strath and Sandhurst are the front runners and Square the dark horses and only other flag chance. Our boys were brilliant and played some real quality football but Gisborne have some passengers and didnt dish up too much to be honest.

Strath flexed their muscles as well and Flat have come crashing down in recent weeks. Sounds like it was a battle but good on South for landing a win given their tough start to the Season.

Weightman got 6 for Kyneton in their win over the Maine what a star him Maldenis who has been flying for us, big Timmy Martin who won last year and Square's Jack Geary could all be sitting on the Michelsen Medal leaderboard from the bits and pieces Ive seen and followed in the media. Also be interesting too see if Milne is accumulating votes for the bags he has been kicking.

Any talking points around the league guys?

Albury has been watching the Dragons since the mid 60's (yes that far back) and I have never seen a better performance against quality opposition. With players from the 2004 premiership team (also over Gisborne) watching the timing was impeccable. I think it would have been a good night in Dragon City.

Was at the Golden Square v Eaglehawk game and the Strathfieldsaye v Flats game yesterday. Both games followed similiar stories with both clubs much too strong during the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Eaglehawk unlike Flats showed some heart during the 4th quarter though.

Jones and Geary the stand outs at the Square game and Milney just unstoppable at the Strath game. I still dont know why teams are playing similar sized players on Milne, who is just to strong and smart to out-body and lead too strong for anyone his similar size. Surely take away one of his advantages?

Kyneton had an uninspiring win against a battling Castlemaine yesterday. Weightman booted half a dozen goals and probably would have polled votes in the Michelson.
On another unrelated note, has anyone heard about Sunbury joining the Bendigo league next year?

There has been some low key media talk about them wanting to leave the Ballarat League, but apparently the Riddell League is their first choice. I think they would be too strong for that competition. To me it would make much more sense for the BFNL to try and entice them rather than Echuca which is a very long way from all its country clubs. Sunbury would have instant rivals in Gisborne and Kyneton - much much more logical.

Today's results probably confirmed what I suspected that Strath and Sandhurst are the front runners and Square the dark horses and only other flag chance. Our boys were brilliant and played some real quality football but Gisborne have some passengers and didnt dish up too much to be honest.

Strath flexed their muscles as well and Flat have come crashing down in recent weeks. Sounds like it was a battle but good on South for landing a win given their tough start to the Season.

Weightman got 6 for Kyneton in their win over the Maine what a star him Maldenis who has been flying for us, big Timmy Martin who won last year and Square's Jack Geary could all be sitting on the Michelsen Medal leaderboard from the bits and pieces Ive seen and followed in the media. Also be interesting too see if Milne is accumulating votes for the bags he has been kicking.

Was at the Flat V Strath game and clearly Strath to good
But I am interested in other peoples thoughts as IMO Milne gets away with a lot of body work and pushing before the ball is within 5 meters
At a guess I saw it 8 or 10 times for the day and at least half of them I would have pinged him for pushing and pushing to early
He likes to push his opposition under the ball and turn and go with the flight to either mark or run onto it
Umpires seem to watch him but reluctant to pull him up

Thoughts anybody

Was at the Golden Square v Eaglehawk game and the Strathfieldsaye v Flats game yesterday. Both games followed similiar stories with both clubs much too strong during the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Eaglehawk unlike Flats showed some heart during the 4th quarter though.

Jones and Geary the stand outs at the Square game and Milney just unstoppable at the Strath game. I still dont know why teams are playing similar sized players on Milne, who is just to strong and smart to out-body and lead too strong for anyone his similar size. Surely take away one of his advantages?
To flats defence they were down to 1 on the bench very early in the first quarter
Knox only lasted 2 minutes
But yes Strath to good and physically to strong as broke to many tackles

There has been some low key media talk about them wanting to leave the Ballarat League, but apparently the Riddell League is their first choice. I think they would be too strong for that competition. To me it would make much more sense for the BFNL to try and entice them rather than Echuca which is a very long way from all its country clubs. Sunbury would have instant rivals in Gisborne and Kyneton - much much more logical.
I think if Sunbury came in Gisborne would go
They made it very clear to Ballarat league a year or so ago when asked to switch leagues that they would not play in the same league
I think there is some ugly past between the 2 clubs

Was at the Flat V Strath game and clearly Strath to good
But I am interested in other peoples thoughts as IMO Milne gets away with a lot of body work and pushing before the ball is within 5 meters
At a guess I saw it 8 or 10 times for the day and at least half of them I would have pinged him for pushing and pushing to early
He likes to push his opposition under the ball and turn and go with the flight to either mark or run onto it
Umpires seem to watch him but reluctant to pull him up

Thoughts anybody

You could be quiet right, but at the same time he is a very smart and crafty small forward. I think you'll find he uses great body placement and his obvious experience and strength advantages of his opponents makes it easy for him to work them around. It all depends where he pushes them too, I notice he tends to use their hips and ribs more than their backs. But all the same, very smart operator.

Kyneton had an uninspiring win against a battling Castlemaine yesterday. Weightman booted half a dozen goals and probably would have polled votes in the Michelson.
On another unrelated note, has anyone heard about Sunbury joining the Bendigo league next year?
Yes I did. I'd think the league should put their effort into helping Maine, Maryborough and Kyneton prosper into the future rather then worry about Sunbury.

I think if Sunbury came in Gisborne would go
They made it very clear to Ballarat league a year or so ago when asked to switch leagues that they would not play in the same league
I think there is some ugly past between the 2 clubs

This must have come from the players Crow as the Gisborne Committee actually wanted to join the Ballarat League. In the end it was the players (as members) who voted against and prevented the move.

This must have come from the players Crow as the Gisborne Committee actually wanted to join the Ballarat League. In the end it was the players (as members) who voted against and prevented the move.
If I remember correctly it was about junior grades
I think there has been some ugly clashes in the past and parents did not want the two clubs to clash again.
Pretty sure that was the case but could be corrected

If I remember correctly it was about junior grades
I think there has been some ugly clashes in the past and parents did not want the two clubs to clash again.
Pretty sure that was the case but could be corrected

That's why there are Umpires and Rules in place and investigations if need be. It shouldn't be factor if Sunbury want to come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

W

We all know that that is not always a deterant
Maybe someone knows a bit more detail ?

I thought it was simply put to a vote whereby the committee were encouraging the move, but there was some players and most of the netballers were against it and as the netballers are all members the motion got rejected..I think Gisborne need a Sunbury or Riddell to play against because those rivalries are what make local footy and Gisborne has been largely irrelevant in the local community since they moved to Bendigo, they tried the libba vs Gisborne thing when he was at sunbury and the gissy vs riddell pre season games but they are only half hearted practice matches.. I'm not saying they should leave Bendigo but they should be excited by the prospect of a neighbouring club joining their league

With not knowing the Riddell league how does it fair between Ballarat and Bendigo
Would imagine Bendigo and Ballarat very similar but have no idea on Riddell
I can't see a sucessfull club being allowed to go to a lesser league( if thats the case) without a very good reason

With not knowing the Riddell league how does it fair between Ballarat and Bendigo
Would imagine Bendigo and Ballarat very similar but have no idea on Riddell
I can't see a sucessfull club being allowed to go to a lesser league( if thats the case) without a very good reason

Ballarat and Bendigo would be stronger at the top end there's no doubt about that, Gisborne would be top 2 or 3 this year if in the Riddell league, I think Riddell and Romsey would be competitive with them, but longer term they would be a power in the riddell league...I just think that Sunbury and Gisborne playing in different leagues hasn't helped them fro a community interest standpoint at all...Having been to a Gisborne home game and a sunbury home game in the last 12 months, their crowds would not be as a good as the top teams in the riddell league...

Sandhurst were well and truley to good for Gisborne on the weekend, no doubt, but just keep in mind that Gisborne fielded 7 or 8 under 18's in that side against a full strength Sandhurst unit playing on their home ground.

Missing from Gisborne's best 22 on Saturday was C. Summerfield, O, Messoudi, A. Belcher, M. Knox, D. Weaver, E. McKenna and throw in 2 time Michelson medalist M. Fitzgerald who returns from overseas in the next couple of weeks plus the fact that Scotty Walsh (another Michelson medalist) took an elbow to the head early in the game and never quite recovered.

I feel you may have gone the early crow here Dragon Fly, throw a few injuries into the Sandhurst camp come the pointy end and no doubt its a different story.

Having said all this i still think Strath should be odds on to win the big one anyway.

Sandhurst were well and truley to good for Gisborne on the weekend, no doubt, but just keep in mind that Gisborne fielded 7 or 8 under 18's in that side against a full strength Sandhurst unit playing on their home ground.

Missing from Gisborne's best 22 on Saturday was C. Summerfield, O, Messoudi, A. Belcher, M. Knox, D. Weaver, E. McKenna and throw in 2 time Michelson medalist M. Fitzgerald who returns from overseas in the next couple of weeks plus the fact that Scotty Walsh (another Michelson medalist) took an elbow to the head early in the game and never quite recovered.

I feel you may have gone the early crow here Dragon Fly, throw a few injuries into the Sandhurst camp come the pointy end and no doubt its a different story.

Having said all this i still think Strath should be odds on to win the big one anyway.
well said

Still a bit of room for optimism for your boys then Bears but there would need to be a vast improvement on Saturday's performance.

Your comments are fair enough Bearsboy - injuries and a bit of luck all make a difference. I am sure Gisborne, Strath, Sandhurst and Square supporters all think their teams can win the flag.

As a Gisborne man I would like to hear your attitude to Sunbury joing the BFNL. Do you think Gisborne would be against this as some say, or for it?
(Welcome comments from other Gisborne supporters as well)

does anyone know how many times Milne trained with the interleague squad, if at all? there was a bit of word around early that Ladson said he would only play committed players that trained - and Milne (allegedly) wasn't at the first 2 sessions? i'm happy to stand corrected if i'm wrong, as he's clearly in the best side, but it would be dissapointing if there were different rules for different players - especially for those blokes who were made emergency or just missed the final cut

hey everyone, new to this forum but wanted to hear what people thought of BFNL intra-league side that was announced yesterday? Are there really any surprises? Obviously a host of new names but looks as if we will be fairly competitive.

hey everyone, new to this forum but wanted to hear what people thought of BFNL intra-league side that was announced yesterday? Are there really any surprises? Obviously a host of new names but looks as if we will be fairly competitive.
No surprises on my behalf, though I see Gippsland have picked Ryan Pendlebury and Jack Blair ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo FNL 2017

Back