Bendigo vs North Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

I've only seen bits and pieces from Hocking but on what I've seen I reckon he has 0.001% chance of making it as an AFL footballer.

Whoever put him in the bests in the game against Tassie needs a bit of a head examination.

Had the specific role to tag Ken Hall who has been Tassies only consistant performer and he did a good job while getting a bit of the footy himself.He held Hall to a good number less possessions than he had been getting in previous weeks.Did you ever stop to think that players who carry out their role in the side well can be named in the best players ? It is not all about running around and getting 30 possessions every week. Someone has to tag. I suppose you missed the 5 direct goal assist he had during the game. When he gets the footy he rarely uses it badly and generally something good comes of it.
Given Hocking has had 20 plus possession in most of the VFL games he has played (which is only 17) i would suggest you may try seeing a bit more of a player before making comment as clealry your bits and pieces havnt been a lot.
Currently he is probably 50/50 to remain on the list and probably the same to make it in the AFL. He isnt in the Chris Judd leauge. He is more of Jason Johnson / Pev style player with much better skills. Of course he still has it all to prove but to say that someone who has played very well consistantly so far in the VFL has 0.001 % chance of making it based on limited views is well, rather stupid.

There are certain traits that you can pick up quite easily and make a quick judgment call. Easy to pick up Hocking as someone who'll be a good VFL footballer and thats about it.

Ben Jolley was one last year where it was completely obvious that he would not make at as an AFL footballer.

Hocking has less chance than Jolly and I'd be willing to cut of my left one if Hocking made at at AFL level.

Basic composure and disposal of the ball.

He doesn't have great disposal and he doesn't look composed when he has the ball.

How can you make a judgment on that after seeing little of him.
That's not something you can assess quickly.

And you're wrong, on both counts.

He has neat skills and a good head on his shoulders.

Lee apparently had a good game in defence and i'd be tempted to bring him in. Maybe not against the dogs as they dont have many tall forwards but against Collingwood i think he'd be a good option to bring in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lee apparently had a good game in defence and i'd be tempted to bring him in. Maybe not against the dogs as they dont have many tall forwards but against Collingwood i think he'd be a good option to bring in.

Don't agree. One good game for the season in the 2's isn't enough. He must play another 5-6 good games in the VFL in order to keep himself on essendon's list!

Don't agree. One good game for the season in the 2's isn't enough. He must play another 5-6 good games in the VFL in order to keep himself on essendon's list!
Who are we going to play on the likes of Rocca, Cloke and Reid? With Fletch and Ryder most likely missing its a good chance to see where hes at.

How can you make a judgment on that after seeing little of him.
That's not something you can assess quickly.

And you're wrong, on both counts.

He has neat skills and a good head on his shoulders.

It's something I reckon you can see quickly in a player.... a game or two or even a few passages of play.

Composure and awareness in getting the ball, composure with the ball and disposal of the ball.

Nothing I've seen of Hocking says to me he can make it as an AFL footballer.

And while I'm at it what I've seen from Tommy Hislop suggests to me that he'll be the best of our draftees from last year.

It's something I reckon you can see quickly in a player.... a game or two or even a few passages of play.

Composure and awareness in getting the ball, composure with the ball and disposal of the ball.

If you'd only seen two passages of play from Dustin Fletcher, you could make the judgment that he was the worst kick of a footy of all time and has no composure whats so ever.

Perhaps our recruiting team was using your method circa 1999-2001

Basic composure and disposal of the ball.

He doesn't have great disposal and he doesn't look composed when he has the ball.

This will do me. It really shows you have no idea on Hocking. His disposal is very good and his use of the ball under pressure is also very good. It isnt a weakness. I simply cant belive you have picked out a couple of his better points as a weakness.
His weakness may be is he fast enough to survive at AFL level .

kelvin_sheedy said:

Nothing I've seen of Hocking says to me he can make it as an AFL footballer.

And while I'm at it what I've seen from Tommy Hislop suggests to me that he'll be the best of our draftees from last year

This would be Tommy Hislop who's kicking is a bit dodgy and kicks a lot of dinky up and under pass's that dont hit targets.

Seriuosly you have done well here . You have shown that you really have no idea about Hocking. His tackling and footskills where what atracted the attention of not just us but also Melbourne and Richmond who took some interest in taking him in the rookie draft.
I have to ask how much footage have you actually seen of him ?

The Bendigo vs Tassie game last week and a few others over the past year.

If you were to give odds in him playing 150 games of AFL football what would they be?

For a start i am still wondering if you have the right player ? Solidly built kid, short curly hair ,wears 39, very long left foot kick. I have seen close to all his VFL games and around 12 or so of his game for Rangers in the TAC Cup and poor disposal and lack of composure under pressure are the last things i would have pegged him for.

As for odds about him playing 150 games well they would be long at this stage. He is an outsiders to get that far currently. I would say maybe 250-1 to make it to 150 games. I dont think anywhere i have said he is a good thing to make it on our list or to make it to even 5 games . He is however a better than 0.001% chance of getting to AFL level.

For a start i am still wondering if you have the right player ? Solidly built kid, short curly hair ,wears 39, very long left foot kick. I have seen close to all his VFL games and around 12 or so of his game for Rangers in the TAC Cup and poor disposal and lack of composure under pressure are the last things i would have pegged him for.

As for odds about him playing 150 games well they would be long at this stage. He is an outsiders to get that far currently. I would say maybe 250-1 to make it to 150 games. I dont think anywhere i have said he is a good thing to make it on our list or to make it to even 5 games . He is however a better than 0.001% chance of getting to AFL level.

I've got the right bloke.

I'm not saying that his composure and skills are really poor. It's just that I can see that it is not up to AFL standard - that is when the pace and pressure are increased I think his skills and composure will crumble.

You're moving the goal posts.

The odds of anyone playing 150 games of AFL football are very slim.

I'm not moving the goalposts.

I'm saying he has little to no chance of making it as an AFL player.

I'd like to know what chance you give him of making it?

I have stated my reasons as to why I think he won't and to clarify I reckon his composure and skills will not stand up at AFL level.

He just looks like a good VFL player that doesn't have the tools to crack it at the top level.

I've got the right bloke.

I'm not saying that his composure and skills are really poor. It's just that I can see that it is not up to AFL standard - that is when the pace and pressure are increased I think his skills and composure will crumble.

Ok so why do you think Hislop who has shown worse skills than than Hocking in match's and at training will be better ?
(and no i am not saying that Tommy is a dud as i think he will make it and be a very good player)

Explain to me how a bloke who hits targets in the VFL at well over 80% efficiency , has had a good number of games where he has hit targets up forward and has created goal scoring opertunities 3 to 4 times a game is going to crumble. In several games i have seen this year he has hit leading forwards from 40 meters away despite being under pressure from the opposition.
Im just really interested to hear how you can see a bloke who doesnt make too many mistakes under pressure in the VFL will suddenly crumble.
I also want to know that if you can see this then why are we bothering with Hislop,Houli,Lonergan and Reimers who all have struggled at times with their kicking in the VFL ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo vs North Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back