Injury Bennell season done

Remove this Banner Ad

That sucks. This season is shot anyway, but I think it would have been good for both the club and Bennell if he could have got a run late in the year - just to bed down some things and help launch his pre-season.

Still, if it means more chance of an injury free Bennell in the long run, it's a no brainer. Sounds like the sort of thing that could ruin his career if it doesn't get right, may as well give it every chance to fix it.

Last edited:
I think we can safely blame the #4 jumper curse.

Since the highs of Andrew Wills (79 games from 1995-1999) and Paul Hasleby (208 games from 2000-2010) things have gone downhill fast:
  • Jayden Pitt
  • Colin Sylvia
  • Harley Bennell

I disagree, the club is consulting the best possible doctors and is looking at 2017 onwards now.
Which is more than what we can say about what Gold Coast has done, I don't want to lay all the blame into the Suns but I bet anything if he was still there they would've fielded him early in the season and his calf issues would be even worse, obviously the conditioning staff hasn't been up to standard there with 21 players reported onto their injury list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Bennall out for season, Yarran hasn't played a game, f..k me. IMO these two were brought in to try and get pav the flag this year, best plans don't always work.
With the likelihood of McCarthy being at Freo next year does pav have one more shot at a flag with Bennell, Fyfe and Yarran back and firing next season.

Day 1 of preseason for the 2016 season - "ok guys, this is going to sound nuts, but this is how we will win the 2017 Grand Final" - Ross Lyon
" I understand you want me to win another Brownlow, but I wouldn't mind doing some things around the house if you can fit that in?"- Fyfe probably.

I wish he didn't cost us our second round pick. Could have been handy seeing that we need a rebuild

Disappointing and I feel for him.
We must be weary now on Hogan and McCarthy. Both unproven and to give an early draft pick away for either could again be egg on our faces.

We just don't get any luck in regards to getting players. Hope Bennell has a huge 2017

I am honestly disappointed and extremely frustrated not to mention borderline furious at this debacle.

We brought him in to make a difference and he cost our second round pick this year and what happens, he doesn't get onto the field.

I have to ask, did the club do its due dilligence on Bennell; known drug issues and calf issues and we still go ahead and sign him.

What I cannot comprehend at all is why we would go heavily after someone with a history of calf problems.....good player most definitely but seriously......we actually want players to take the field.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this debacle and yes this is what it is.

I am honestly disappointed and extremely frustrated not to mention borderline furious at this debacle.

We brought him in to make a difference and he cost our second round pick this year and what happens, he doesn't get onto the field.

I have to ask, did the club do its due dilligence on Bennell; known drug issues and calf issues and we still go ahead and sign him.

What I cannot comprehend at all is why we would go heavily after someone with a history of calf problems.....good player most definitely but seriously......we actually want players to take the field.

Someone needs to be held accountable for this debacle and yes this is what it is.
I still think that it is more likely that we will get more out of Bennell than we would from the typical 2nd round draft pick. Good low risk/high reward move by the club.

I'd rather they take a full season to get him right, and have him in the team for the 7 years after - than rush things now. Happy with this on the proviso that they get to the bottom of it. Calves can take a long time to get right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back